Current Ranking 2016 Class

I have been very very high on the recruiting of this staff but it seems like they might have hit that "wall". I think that right now they are "in" on a lot of big names but it seems like if they call and another school class...the recruit is returning the call to the "other school" first.

I am not sure what has happened but where I was thinking/expecting a top 15-20 class I am starting to second guess that a bit.

Agree completely. I think the fact that we had a 5-7 season / along with the stupid chatter from fans about our coach needing to be on the hot seat - slowed this class down. NU needs to have a better records to help close these better recruits (at most schools - I would disagree with my statement, however I'm sure every coach out there is using our record against us). We should be able to post a solid record next year and the 2017 class will fill in nicely!!!

I promise our fan base provides far more pros to recruiting than cons. No blame should be placed on them.

I would agree that our fans are great and the fact that we show up to all sporting events with large crowds is a huge plus to potential recruits. My comment was the stupid chatter of SOME fans. So YES blame can be put on SOME fans. Do recruits understand that out of 1 million fans the few that make comments are a minority - I would hope so, however there is no way you could say it doesn't have ANY impact.

Good lord....we are getting better recruits than he got at OSU.

In 2014, with 30 recruits he was ranked 56 with an average grade of 80.7 That's right at the point of almost averaging a 2 star grade.

This year with only 15 commits, our average grade is 87.27.

Now, I believe 88 is where a recruit gets to a 4 star grade. So, on average, our commits are right at that point of almost being a 4 star.

The class is no where close to being done.

Is our goal to be better than Oregon State or is our goal to be one of the top programs in the country?
My comment was at a post acting like that is what we were getting.

Obviously we need to be getting some of the best players in the country.

Understand, didn't mean it directly at you. Just a general thought along the same lines of the convo.

Also interesting that in Anderson's first year at Oregon State he averaging 83 rating on his recruits...

Most coaches get a honey moon period in recruiting where they can recruit better than the school's norm. For some reason (maybe going 5-7), this staff never got that whatsoever.

Other reason is that it is easy to sell the honeymoon period when your team had a bad record and you are the new best thing. With NU the record was not the problem (the other items were) - so not so easy to sell the honeymoon period.

In 2014, with 30 recruits he was ranked 56 with an average grade of 80.7 That's right at the point of almost averaging a 2 star grade.

Now, I believe 88 is where a recruit gets to a 4 star grade. So, on average, our commits are right at that point of almost being a 4 star.

Is our goal to be better than Oregon State or is our goal to be one of the top programs in the country?

Understand, didn't mean it directly at you. Just a general thought along the same lines of the convo.

Also interesting that in Anderson's first year at Oregon State he averaging 83 rating on his recruits...

Most coaches get a honey moon period in recruiting where they can recruit better than the school's norm. For some reason (maybe going 5-7), this staff never got that whatsoever.
Agreed, and we aren't doing it.
You would have to go back to 2011 I think to find a class with as high of average grade as this one.

Yes, we have missed in some we wanted. But, the ones we have are good players.

I'd prefer not to have the same results recruiting (nor on the field) as the Bo regime. Our bar should be higher. And don't get me wrong, I'm pleased with the caliber of most of our recruits...but now we're missing on some of our "big" targets and will more than likely start reaching.
Don't disagree. But to say we haven't had a bump would've mistaken. We need to close well with the some of the other top recruits we are in on.
Disputable imo. Looking at those other classes you are looking at final averages, after we had accepted plan b, c, d....currently we are at a stage where we havnt accepted/went after those guys yet. For example in 2015 signing Reed, Davis, Talan late hurt averages....in 2014 signing Bush, Wills, Irons late hurt averages. So maybe we will have a higher rated average come signing day, but to compare right now is unfair.
  • Fire 1

I have been very very high on the recruiting of this staff but it seems like they might have hit that "wall". I think that right now they are "in" on a lot of big names but it seems like if they call and another school class...the recruit is returning the call to the "other school" first.

I am not sure what has happened but where I was thinking/expecting a top 15-20 class I am starting to second guess that a bit.

Agree completely. I think the fact that we had a 5-7 season / along with the stupid chatter from fans about our coach needing to be on the hot seat - slowed this class down. NU needs to have a better records to help close these better recruits (at most schools - I would disagree with my statement, however I'm sure every coach out there is using our record against us). We should be able to post a solid record next year and the 2017 class will fill in nicely!!!

I promise our fan base provides far more pros to recruiting than cons. No blame should be placed on them.

I would agree that our fans are great and the fact that we show up to all sporting events with large crowds is a huge plus to potential recruits. My comment was the stupid chatter of SOME fans. So YES blame can be put on SOME fans. Do recruits understand that out of 1 million fans the few that make comments are a minority - I would hope so, however there is no way you could say it doesn't have ANY impact.
Every school has those fans.

You would have to go back to 2011 I think to find a class with as high of average grade as this one.

I'd prefer not to have the same results recruiting (nor on the field) as the Bo regime. Our bar should be higher. And don't get me wrong, I'm pleased with the caliber of most of our recruits...but now we're missing on some of our "big" targets and will more than likely start reaching.
Don't disagree. But to say we haven't had a bump would've mistaken. We need to close well with the some of the other top recruits we are in on.
Disputable imo. Looking at those other classes you are looking at final averages, after we had accepted plan b, c, d....currently we are at a stage where we havnt accepted/went after those guys yet. For example in 2015 signing Reed, Davis, Talan late hurt averages....in 2014 signing Bush, Wills, Irons late hurt averages. So maybe we will have a higher rated average come signing day, but to compare right now is unfair.
I have constantly said we aren't done yet.

I'm not proclaiming this as a great class as a finisher product yet. Just like we should claim it sucks yet.

We also found Ameer at the end.

I have constantly said we aren't done yet.

I'm not proclaiming this as a great class as a finisher product yet. Just like we should claim it sucks yet.

We also found Ameer at the end.

Doesnt seem like we are too far apart on current thoughts. You're just more optimistic which is fine, hope you are right! Gbr

Recruiting rankings often follow the on field success. NU benefited from that to a degree. Look at the early 90s class rankings who were the nucleus of The Run. Most were not super highly regarded. Fast forward to 1995's class, following the NC, and suddenly NU is signing a top 10 team, even though the effect of the NC would have been only starting in January of that year and NU hadn't really changed their approach or even overall talent level compared to historic classes.

These recruitniks just assume that if a team does well then they must be good at recruiting, so their targets get a bump.

Iowa is a perfect example. If you look at their roster, they went 11-1 with some "awful" talent per the recruiting services. Yet their current class is riding the benefit of that success.

It's not true in all cases, because some crappy teams can land great classes, but that's mainly the case when talking about traditional powers or schools that have "great recruiters" per reputation (see, for example, Penn State).

This 1-12 and 1-116 ranking system is so completely misguided and misleading, it's ridiculous.

Interesting.

On 247, Nebraska is ranked 31 with 15 recruits and iowa is ranked 36 with 24.

This is because our commits are graded higher than theirs. Ours on average is 87.27 and theirs is 84.26.

Some sites give more weight to number of recruits.

Same scenario with Minnesota.

It's looking more like Nebraska's ratings will drop then with the remaining recruits Nebraska is in on. If Nebraska does in fact fill out it's recruiting class.

Interesting.

This is because our commits are graded higher than theirs. Ours on average is 87.27 and theirs is 84.26.

It's looking more like Nebraska's ratings will drop then with the remaining recruits Nebraska is in on. If Nebraska does in fact fill out it's recruiting class.

No....we are still in on some very good recruits.

Now, that has a chance of happening but it is far from a forgone conclusion.

Interesting.

No....we are still in on some very good recruits.

Now, that has a chance of happening but it is far from a forgone conclusion.

I suppose we'll see.