Epley's comments on Talent

Warrior10

I don't think anyone is saying that we have as much talent as those teams of the 90's but GBRedneck isn't wrong when he says most of out losses this year are directly related to coaching.

Like when the coaches called a run and Tommy threw an interception instead?

That's a perfect example of poor coaching, but that's not what this thread is about.

A player not doing what he is told is a good example of poor coaching. lol.gif

You were on the sideline? Tell us exactly what he was told.

Riley already told us they called a running play. I didn't need to be on the sideline for that.

I don't think anyone is saying that we have as much talent as those teams of the 90's but GBRedneck isn't wrong when he says most of out losses this year are directly related to coaching.

That's a perfect example of poor coaching, but that's not what this thread is about.

Riley already told us they called a running play. I didn't need to be on the sideline for that.

No, here's what Riley said:

“Normally, that play is a pass play,” Riley said. “It’s a bootleg pass, but we tag it when we want the quarterback to run with ‘run.’ It’s basically ‘Chill Bronco Run.’ We did not get in the right formation. It was a mess.”

• Fire 1

Prominent media guy covering Huskers says it was definitely the athletic department that wanted this story out. Contacted both newspapers so they could do the interview together.

Also said it didn't go over all that well with everyone on the team.

Thanks Mavric.

I'm going to say this once again. You heard it... and read it here... FIRST.

The fans here figured this out instantly and the discussion has showed that. There were several members here, with great instincts, that were on top on this in a heart beat. Once again the fans were correct. We smelled PR in this, instantly.

It's been very difficult for many to understand and accept the intelligence of Nebraska fans. People in authority who think they can control everything, even though they can't, just cant stand it and still refuse to swallow it.

But it's more than that. It's that we are also brutally honest. The combination of intelligence, great instincts and honesty presents a unique and top notch forum for getting accurate and hard hitting information. More accurate and more honest than what you can get anywhere else. Period.

But there's more. We (fans) simply do NOT accept being told what to think or say. That genuine freedom trumps everything else. Fans do NOT accept being told what the truth is... when we can see for ourselves that the truth being proclaimed by others, is in fact not true at all. We know the truth and we speak it. We don't take orders from above about what to think... we can think for ourselves. Again... a unique and very healthy aspect of what we do. We wouldn't want it any other way and it shouldn't be any other way.

Last but not least "chat boards" are now THE drivers of the narrative. We lead and others follow our lead. Radio shows and other media have been coming to and referring to fan reaction and comments forever... but now more than ever. They know where the good stuff is at... even though they wont admit it. We may not have "media access" but the beautiful thing is we don't need it. We can figure things out for ourselves. We've known for 18 years that the athletic ability of our players has been way down. We can see it with our own eyes and know it with our own minds.

"Chat boards" are like healthy little children crawling all over the house. People look at them and comment on how smart they are... but they're still crawling. So the time has come to stand up. The time has come to take our place in all of this... and expect that our place be given the respect it deserves. I personally have never tolerated the criticism-jealousy-envy being thrown at chat boards. It was never anything more than petty jealousy.

And best of all. Because we are truly fans... we do it all with the best of intentions.

Braveheart_mad_stare.gif

Prominent media guy covering Huskers says it was definitely the athletic department that wanted this story out. Contacted both newspapers so they could do the interview together.

Shocking.

<sarcasm>

And yet some people wonder why some of the players have reservations about playing for this AD and coaching staff.

No, here's what Riley said:

“Normally, that play is a pass play,” Riley said. “It’s a bootleg pass, but we tag it when we want the quarterback to run with ‘run.’ It’s basically ‘Chill Bronco Run.’ We did not get in the right formation. It was a mess.”

I've seen this argument from both sides on this board in other threads and I'm still trying to decide where I come out on it. In one hand you have TA, who I think pretty much is what he is at this point. He certainly deserves some blame for this play and some of the other mistakes that have been made on his behalf.

On the other hand, you have the coaches who need to put their play in the best position to win and that includes 1) understanding that player's limitations and 2) situational awareness. I think you need to be crystal clear in these situations, as a coach, in terms of what you want to see. There needs to be no way your QB can confuse what is being asked of him in a game-changing scenario. For whatever reason that didn't happen.

I certainly don't think blame should be levied entirely on one group or the other. I don't think it was all the coaching staff's fault or all TA's fault. Definitely a mix there.

Thanks Mavric.

The fans here figured this out instantly and the discussion has showed that. There were several members here, with great instincts, that were on top on this in a heart beat. Once again the fans were correct. We smelled PR in this, instantly.

It's been very difficult for many to understand and accept the intelligence of Nebraska fans. People in authority who think they can control everything, even though they can't, just cant stand it and still refuse to swallow it.

But it's more than that. It's that we are also brutally honest. The combination of intelligence, great instincts and honesty presents a unique and top notch forum for getting accurate and hard hitting information. More accurate and more honest than what you can get anywhere else. Period.

But there's more. We (fans) simply do NOT accept being told what to think or say. That genuine freedom trumps everything else. Fans do NOT accept being told what the truth is... when we can see for ourselves that the truth being proclaimed by others, is in fact not true at all. We know the truth and we speak it. We don't take orders from above about what to think... we can think for ourselves. Again... a unique and very healthy aspect of what we do. We wouldn't want it any other way and it shouldn't be any other way.

Last but not least "chat boards" are now THE drivers of the narrative. We lead and others follow our lead. Radio shows and other media have been coming to and referring to fan reaction and comments forever... but now more than ever. They know where the good stuff is at... even though they wont admit it. We may not have "media access" but the beautiful thing is we don't need it. We can figure things out for ourselves. We've known for 18 years that the athletic ability of our players has been way down. We can see it with our own eyes and know it with our own minds.

"Chat boards" are like healthy little children crawling all over the house. People look at them and comment on how smart they are... but they're still crawling. So the time has come to stand up. The time has come to take our place in all of this... and expect that our place be given the respect it deserves. I personally have never tolerated the criticism-jealousy-envy being thrown at chat boards. It was never anything more than petty jealousy.

And best of all. Because we are truly fans... we do it all with the best of intentions.

Keeping in mind this is the same PR department, working for the same AD, who utilized plenty of stunts and spin to present a kinder, gentler Bo Pelini to Husker fans the past couple years.

It's also the same Boyd Epley that knowledgeable Husker fans admire and respect when he's telling them things they want to hear.

And it's true that Internet chatter influences the Powers That Be. You can see it happening in the political realm, but it's actually pretty horrifying. Some of the well-intentioned aren't nearly as informed as they think.

• Fire 3

Shocking.

<sarcasm>

And yet some people wonder why some of the players have reservations about playing for this AD and coaching staff.

I am not particularly perturbed by Mavric's claim, if it is in fact true. I think a lot of people are unaware just how many stories and articles are pushed out by PR people inside given organizations. They may appear on the surface to be genuine but in fact have been calculated moves.

Shocking.

<sarcasm>

Players had reservations because of their "Stockholm Syndrome" with Bo. They didn't "buy in" until late in the season. Gerry admitted it. That tells me a lot. There's a culture problem there.

Shocking.

<sarcasm>

Players had reservations because of their "Stockholm Syndrome" with Bo. They didn't "buy in" until late in the season. Gerry admitted it.

No he didn't. A few posters need to quit with that lie.

• Fire 2

Shocking.

<sarcasm>

Players had reservations because of their "Stockholm Syndrome" with Bo. They didn't "buy in" until late in the season. Gerry admitted it.

No he didn't. A few posters need to quit with that lie.

Yep

• Fire 1

Thanks Mavric.

Keeping in mind this is the same PR department, working for the same AD, who utilized plenty of stunts and spin to present a kinder, gentler Bo Pelini to Husker fans the past couple years.

I guess I don't remember this AD going out off its way to present a kinder, gentler Bo.

I do remember this AD leaving that coach out to dry after the media speculated about that coaches job security, hiding behind the "I don't comment on a coaches job status in season."

Yet the same AD TWICE this year went public with statements of support for his loser hire in season.

• Fire 2

I wonder why it wouldn't have gone over well. Not saying that these evaluations are the end-all-be-all indicator of talent and athleticism, but wouldn't athletes at that caliber want something tangible to look at and see how they compare? It doesn't make sense. Unless there are some on the team still fighting tooth and nail against the coaching staff.

They aren't upset about the testing. They're upset with the AD propaganda behind the article, which basically calls them a bunch of untalented schmucks as an excuse for poor coaching.

So if the players had scored very high on these evaluations they still would've been miffed at the AD for putting it in the news? Highly doubtful.

• Fire 1

I wonder why it wouldn't have gone over well. Not saying that these evaluations are the end-all-be-all indicator of talent and athleticism, but wouldn't athletes at that caliber want something tangible to look at and see how they compare? It doesn't make sense. Unless there are some on the team still fighting tooth and nail against the coaching staff.

They aren't upset about the testing. They're upset with the AD propaganda behind the article, which basically calls them a bunch of untalented schmucks as an excuse for poor coaching.

So if the players had scored very high on these evaluations they still would've been miffed at the AD for putting it in the news? Highly doubtful.

HAHAHA! You think Eichorst would've hounded the papers to print the news that his coach went 5-7 with superior talent???

HAHAHA! You think Eichorst would've hounded the papers to print the news that his coach went 5-7 with superior talent???

LOL! You have no idea what I think. What's even more absurd is that the local media would dare print a general interest story on bringing back a piece of the S&C program that generated positive results in the past.