Epley's comments on Talent

Warrior10

I don't really disagree with the overall point that we need better athletes. This is a given. But what gets me, is that 1 year ago Eichhorst said we have the talent to win a championship now. He said a major reason we fired Bo was he didn't think he could guide us to a championship. Yet, here we are a year later, and they invite all the media out and put on a nice PR event. Whether or not it was their intent, it comes across as covering their backsides for a bad year.

Yep

But even worse, they threw the players under the bus in order to "cover their backsides".

And even worse than that... and the part I cant even hardly think about... is they appear to have used Boyds reputation and standing... the one guy who really does have a great reputation in the program... in their attempt to "cover their backsides". I really feel bad for Boyd.

If this had only been about performance testing and making those numbers public again then it wouldn't have been a problem. Virtually everyone agrees that's a good thing.

But when they injected the other needless and inflammatory stuff about needing to recruit "more talented" players and the stuff about the current players needing too much developing and coaching... in order to "cover their backsides for a bad year"... that's when the public relations scheme crashed in a ball of flames.

Anytime you and your ilk don't like the message, you call the messenger a liar. Its BS and its getting old.

You do realize that the "messenger" said this a year ago...

"At the end of the day, I think we have kids in our program that are capable of winning championships."

http://www.cornnation.com/2014/11/30/7310255/nebraska-huskers-football-bo-pelini-shawn-eichorst-press-conference

So... what were you saying about lying again?

So he realied he was wrong, big f'ing deal. That does not make him a liar. I have no doubt the Pelini fortress was hard to see inside. Think you can find that mountain after tripping over the mole hole?

Was SE wrong about anything else?

I don't really disagree with the overall point that we need better athletes. This is a given. But what gets me, is that 1 year ago Eichhorst said we have the talent to win a championship now. He said a major reason we fired Bo was he didn't think he could guide us to a championship. Yet, here we are a year later, and they invite all the media out and put on a nice PR event. Whether or not it was their intent, it comes across as covering their backsides for a bad year.

Yep

But even worse, they threw the players under the bus in order to "cover their backsides".

And even worse than that... and the part I cant even hardly think about... is they appear to have used Boyds reputation and standing... the one guy who really does have a great reputation in the program... in their attempt to "cover their backsides". I really feel bad for Boyd.

If this had only been about performance testing and making those numbers public again then it wouldn't have been a problem. Virtually everyone agrees that's a good thing.

But when they injected the other needless and inflammatory stuff about needing to recruit "more talented" players and the stuff about the current players needing too much developing and coaching... in order to "cover their backsides for a bad year"... that's when the public relations scheme crashed in a ball of flames.

Anytime you and your ilk don't like the message, you call the messenger a liar. Its BS and its getting old.

"At the end of the day, I think we have kids in our program that are capable of winning championships."

http://www.cornnation.com/2014/11/30/7310255/nebraska-huskers-football-bo-pelini-shawn-eichorst-press-conference

So he realied he was wrong, big f'ing deal. That does not make him a liar. I have no doubt the Pelini fortress was hard to see inside. Think you can find that mountain after tripping over the mole hole?

yes

• Fire 1

Yep

yes

agreed...about a recent hire...

Yep

yes

Incorrect! About a recent fireing, he waited a year to long and should have fired the D-bag after he got his whiney a$$ kicked at home by Iowa and begged to be fired. Hey! we all make mistakes.

Yep

yes

Incorrect! About a recent fireing, he waited a year to long and should have fired the D-bag after he got his whiney a$$ kicked at home by Iowa and begged to be fired. Hey! we all make mistakes.

Wait...so a certain coach that got their ass kicked by Iowa...You will have to narrow down who that coach might be..

I was actually talking about a recent hire that he made in the accounting department for the Athletic Office...I thought he should have went with Bob Schmekie instead of Alan Smithson.

Yep

So he realized he was wrong, big f'ing deal. That does not make him a liar. I have no doubt the Pelini fortress was hard to see inside. Think you can find that mountain after tripping over the mole hole?

So you're changing the rules again?

Yep

So he realized he was wrong, big f'ing deal. That does not make him a liar. I have no doubt the Pelini fortress was hard to see inside. Think you can find that mountain after tripping over the mole hole?

Eichorst says after firing Pelini that he thinks we have the players to win championships. Then Boyd comes in and puts actual measurements to that thought and shows we don't.

It doesn't make a guy a liar.

• Fire 1

I was actually talking about a recent hire that he made in the accounting department for the Athletic Office...I thought he should have went with Bob Schmekie instead of Alan Smithson.

You just lost all credibility. Smithson's 10-key skillset is years ahead of Schmekie. Schmekie is still trying to get the memos down from last quarter and hasn't even dreamt of working on something like the ABO Dept. project. Smithson can read spreadsheets at a glance and his Account Receivables game has him on national watchlists.

Do you even watch the games?

• Fire 1

Yep

Eichorst says after firing Pelini that he thinks we have the players to win championships. Then Boyd comes in and puts actual measurements to that thought and shows we don't.

Does it make him an uninformed doofus that says things before he has the correct information?

Yep

Does it make him an uninformed doofus that says things before he has the correct information?

I certainly can't argue with you on that.

But I will say I didn't see him saying that as disingenuous. It was basic AD speech. I am sure there are several AD's that say the same thing every year after a firing or before a hiring.

Yep

I certainly can't argue with you on that.

But I will say I didn't see him saying that as disingenuous. It was basic AD speech. I am sure there are several AD's that say the same thing every year after a firing or before a hiring.

No, thta's far from true. Most ADs fire losing coaches and hire winning coaches. They give different speeches.

Yep

I haven't seen anything out of Boyd's stuff that says we can't at least win a conference championship. He says we don't have as good of players as we did in the 90's, no duh.

Now, people are taking this article, and running with it "SEE, SEE, WE DON'T HAVE THE PLAYERS!!!!"

It's simply not true.