Epley's comments on Talent

Warrior10

And we don't have to consistently beat tOSU anyway. We wouldn't have had to beat them to win a championship this year. We wouldn't have to consistently beat them to win any conference titles. We only have to beat them in one game.

Thank goodness for the Big Ten West division, amirite?

I for one am thrilled to be in the BIG West ;)

Were NU in the SEC or the BIG E I don't think as many folks would be arguing that NU has championship talent in 2015.

Hey! We were 2-0 against the B1G East this year.

Well duh me I'm wrong again by failing to notice the supreme relevance of 2 game outcomes. I'll try to clean up my analytics ;)

Let me try. Here goes. Purdue thrashed us this year therefore Purdue's athletes are better than ours, but ours are better than MSU's.

Or .... wait for it ..... there's more that goes into winning games than simply having enough talent.

I wonder how much players change from high school to sophomore, junior, senior year of college.

Certainly depends on the work they put in while there.

Abdullah is a prime example of quite a change

As well as nutrition, S&C, body development, maturity, and familiarity with their routine & surroundings. I think Rex was around 190 when he arrived but was solid as an oak by his senior year. I think Diedrick Young and Freedom are two players to keep an eye on. The sky's the limit for those two to grow into great football players. All-conference potential.

Sam's comments from today;

Sam, after Boyd Epley's remarks, would you adjust your talent argument to include "talent development". It seems that is just as big an issue as, say, recruiting. We have pretty good recruiting numbers the last few years. . . . .

• Well, they were good recruiting numbers at one time.
    The 2013 and 2014 classes have been pretty eroded with departures and bad fits. 10-11 guys, by my count, are already gone from the 2013 class. 4 guys are already gone from the 2014 class, two never showed up, two more graduate, and I expect more to leave. Bo took some character fliers in those two classes to get some talent, and he did get the talent - a lot of the guys just didn't stick around. So while the classes created some pretty good players, it wasn't great for depth. That 2014 class could end up being pretty rough, if we're honest.

Whatever Bo should have done, he did what he did, and it's the reality that a new coaching staff must embrace. Bo left behind a malcontented roster, too, some of which has stayed malcontented. And since Pelini's style was much more hands-on and "directive" when it came to player behavior, some of the players spun off a bit on Riley's "do the right thing" approach

The bolded is an interesting quote from Sam. I thought all the players bought in and it was the coaches fault they didn't play well.

There is the message, now you malcontents can go about calling him a liar.....

We have had the talent to win a conference, for quite a while.

False

The recruiting data says there's quite a few teams have won a conference championship with lesser talent.

Probably false but you provided no evidence.

Quite a few huh? That sounds very convincing.

Won a conference huh? Who cares. The topic is NU's talent NOW (not 2009 or whatever) and the conference is the BIG with Urban's team.

We're not going to consistently beat OSU with the talent level currently on the team.

Not sure why you think that. Michigan State has been anywhere from about equal to slightly worse than us in Recruiting from 2007 to 2014 and they somehow beat OSU 2 out the past 4 meetings (almost a 3rd...a 1 pt loss in 2012). Go ahead and make excuses for it...but when one team does it consistently, another should be able to do the same...especially with everything Nebraska has in the wings or support of the team, facilities, resources, etc. Say coaching all you want...but we're talking about talent level of the team and not the coaches.

2008 MSU - 44th

2008 NU - 25th

2009 MSU - 26th

2009 NU - 42nd

2010 MSU - 21st

2010 NU -27th

2011 MSU - 32nd

2011 NU - 16th

2012 MSU - 33rd

2012 NU - 30th

2013 MSU - 35th

2013 NU - 22nd

2014 MSU - 25th

2014 NU - 36th

The bottom line is...we've competed with every single team we played this year...no matter what they are ranked. That's something that hasn't been done in a while by any team we've had. I'm ready to see what this team can accomplish the next 2 years...we have talent...we just need someone to continue to develop said talent and I think MR has a good track record of developing talent at OSU. I'm patient and can't wait to see what happens :)

Sorry, that's NOT the bottom line.

Only "participation trophy" recipients think like that.

In the real world... the bottom line is 5-7.

Well, other than the fact that NU beat the team that won the B10E... And don't get me started on an average Florida team playing for an SEC championship.

NU has a talented roster.

If some on the board could drop their irrational dislike for the current staff, the answer is kinda simple. The roster is talented and deep in some positions (interior defensive players, wide receivers) and thin and less talented in others (QB, DE, LB). The roster is good in some spots and not so good in others. Does that make it talented or not talented, and how the hell do you decide?

According to some Nostradomi on this board roster depth and quality is the fault solely and exclusively of the current staff. I would include the intellectual giant who, in another thread, predicted the current staff will be gone next year.

Well, other than the fact that NU beat the team that won the B10E... And don't get me started on an average Florida team playing for an SEC championship.

NU has a talented roster.

If some on the board could drop their irrational dislike for the current staff, the answer is kinda simple. The roster is talented and deep in some positions (interior defensive players, wide receivers) and thin and less talented in others (QB, DE, LB). The roster is good in some spots and not so good in others. Does that make it talented or not talented, and how the hell do you decide?

According to some Nostradomi on this board roster depth and quality is the fault solely and exclusively of the current staff. I would include the intellectual giant who, in another thread, predicted the current staff will be gone next year.

Pretty simple: with similarly talented rosters, a fired coach won north of .700 of his games here.

Only when a coach comes in and lays an egg against a very easy schedule do we hear that the talent isn't there to continue 9+ win seasons. Of course, that's not what was said at the time of the firing last year. And it's not the case today, either.

The roster isn't perfect, but it's far better than the results that were wrung out of it.

Now cue: we only won last year because of a single player arguments.

The roster is good in some spots and not so good in others. Does that make it talented or not talented, and how the hell do you decide?

I think purely from a talent perspective (not including the coaching or any other outside factors like staff changes/injuries) this is an 8-win team. Coaching and the right circumstances probably could've had them as a conference title contender or a 4-5 win team. We obviously saw the latter.

I don't want that to come off as me saying bad coaching led to the season the team had. While they coaches are certainly culpable and made mistakes this year, I also believe coaching transitions can sometimes be rough and that doesn't necessarily mean the coaches are bad.

And we don't have to consistently beat tOSU anyway. We wouldn't have had to beat them to win a championship this year. We wouldn't have to consistently beat them to win any conference titles. We only have to beat them in one game.

Thank goodness for the Big Ten West division, amirite?

I for one am thrilled to be in the BIG West ;)

Were NU in the SEC or the BIG E I don't think as many folks would be arguing that NU has championship talent in 2015.

Well....

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/111922/conference-power-rankings-rivalry-week-edition

• Fire 2

Whatever Bo should have done, he did what he did, and it's the reality that a new coaching staff must embrace. Bo left behind a malcontented roster, too, some of which has stayed malcontented. And since Pelini's style was much more hands-on and "directive" when it came to player behavior, some of the players spun off a bit on Riley's "do the right thing" approach

The bolded is an interesting quote from Sam. I thought all the players bought in and it was the coaches fault they didn't play well.

There is the message, now you malcontents can go about calling him a liar.....

Proof?