Epley's comments on Talent

Warrior10

The roster is good in some spots and not so good in others. Does that make it talented or not talented, and how the hell do you decide?

I think purely from a talent perspective (not including the coaching or any other outside factors like staff changes/injuries) this is an 8-win team. Coaching and the right circumstances probably could've had them as a conference title contender or a 4-5 win team. We obviously saw the latter.

I don't want that to come off as me saying bad coaching led to the season the team had. While they coaches are certainly culpable and made mistakes this year, I also believe coaching transitions can sometimes be rough and that doesn't necessarily mean the coaches are bad.

Coaching transitions from bad coaches to good coaches are usually easy. Transitions from good coaches to bad coaches, not so much.

Well, other than the fact that NU beat the team that won the B10E... And don't get me started on an average Florida team playing for an SEC championship.

NU has a talented roster.

If some on the board could drop their irrational dislike for the current staff, the answer is kinda simple. The roster is talented and deep in some positions (interior defensive players, wide receivers) and thin and less talented in others (QB, DE, LB). The roster is good in some spots and not so good in others. Does that make it talented or not talented, and how the hell do you decide?

According to some Nostradomi on this board roster depth and quality is the fault solely and exclusively of the current staff. I would include the intellectual giant who, in another thread, predicted the current staff will be gone next year.

Pretty simple: with similarly talented rosters, a fired coach won north of .700 of his games here.

Only when a coach comes in and lays an egg against a very easy schedule do we hear that the talent isn't there to continue 9+ win seasons. Of course, that's not what was said at the time of the firing last year. And it's not the case today, either.

The roster isn't perfect, but it's far better than the results that were wrung out of it.

Now cue: we only won last year because of a single player arguments.

Wait, a similar roster included the loss of one of the best running backs in Nebraska history, and a record setting wide receiver?

How many close games last season did AA win? Not trying to be snarky but that argument is ridiculous although I have heard a few on the board make that claim, usually as a reason to trash the current staff.

The roster is good in some spots and not so good in others. Does that make it talented or not talented, and how the hell do you decide?

I think purely from a talent perspective (not including the coaching or any other outside factors like staff changes/injuries) this is an 8-win team. Coaching and the right circumstances probably could've had them as a conference title contender or a 4-5 win team. We obviously saw the latter.

I don't want that to come off as me saying bad coaching led to the season the team had. While they coaches are certainly culpable and made mistakes this year, I also believe coaching transitions can sometimes be rough and that doesn't necessarily mean the coaches are bad.

Coaching transitions from bad coaches to good coaches are usually easy. Transitions from good coaches to bad coaches, not so much.

:moreinteresting

Well, other than the fact that NU beat the team that won the B10E... And don't get me started on an average Florida team playing for an SEC championship.

If some on the board could drop their irrational dislike for the current staff, the answer is kinda simple. The roster is talented and deep in some positions (interior defensive players, wide receivers) and thin and less talented in others (QB, DE, LB). The roster is good in some spots and not so good in others. Does that make it talented or not talented, and how the hell do you decide?

According to some Nostradomi on this board roster depth and quality is the fault solely and exclusively of the current staff. I would include the intellectual giant who, in another thread, predicted the current staff will be gone next year.

Pretty simple: with similarly talented rosters, a fired coach won north of .700 of his games here.

Only when a coach comes in and lays an egg against a very easy schedule do we hear that the talent isn't there to continue 9+ win seasons. Of course, that's not what was said at the time of the firing last year. And it's not the case today, either.

The roster isn't perfect, but it's far better than the results that were wrung out of it.

Wait, a similar roster included the loss of one of the best running backs in Nebraska history, and a record setting wide receiver?

How many close games last season did AA win? Not trying to be snarky but that argument is ridiculous although I have heard a few on the board make that claim, usually as a reason to trash the current staff.

Right on cue!

Talent level under Frank was dropping, anyone who is honest can see that. Same with the last staff. MK III Eyeball Detector.

Right on cue!

Funny, I thought the same thing when I read this piece of wisdom:

"Coaching transitions from bad coaches to good coaches are usually easy. Transitions from good coaches to bad coaches, not so much."

Talent level under Frank was dropping, anyone who is honest can see that. Same with the last staff. MK III Eyeball Detector.

Frank had the #14 class in the country when he was fired, and he likely would've signed Woodhead.

Funny how that last staff identified a playmaker or three every year to carry the load. Pretty much what good programs do.

As to your question, how about you tell me. How many games would NU have most without him.

Actually, that's a silly discussion. Even before he came along, NU was winning .700+ under that staff

Not to mention, Ameer was hardly considered an all American candidate when he arrived on campus. He was developed. Again. Good coaching working wonders. Hard to say what talent is being wasted currently. But i do have a feeling Ameer would be seen as a pass blocking liability by the current staff

Frank's classss may have been declining from the mid 90s, but it was as good or better than what we've seen since then.

Or, Frank was a hell of a head coach.

I wonder what percentage of husker nation regrets his firing at this point. I would hope 99.9995%. If less, we still have too many people who will keep Nebraska football in serious trouble during the coming decade.

The talent in NU's 2015 starting lineups was

the worst since at least 2004. And I'm not sure about that team either.

And, low talent/execution at QB + RB is a very bad combination. NU has not started such a bad combination since '04.

Not disagreeing with you but what are you using for this? I like 247 composite for its reliability. The others are less useful since they tend to undervalue kids who don't go to their camps.

Whatever Bo should have done, he did what he did, and it's the reality that a new coaching staff must embrace. Bo left behind a malcontented roster, too, some of which has stayed malcontented. And since Pelini's style was much more hands-on and "directive" when it came to player behavior, some of the players spun off a bit on Riley's "do the right thing" approach

The bolded is an interesting quote from Sam. I thought all the players bought in and it was the coaches fault they didn't play well.

There is the message, now you malcontents can go about calling him a liar.....

Proof?

In his chat with fans today, its online OWH, look it up and read it.

Frank had the #14 class in the country when he was fired, and he likely would've signed Woodhead.

You might want to research that because you are dead wrong AGAIN! Frank wanted nothing to do with DW because he thought he was to small to be a D1 player. Frank sucked a evaluating talent.