Epley's comments on Talent

Warrior10

Spooky I am talking about actual talent as shown again and again on the field by play, in the games, this year. Game starting rosters. So no forecasting at all about it. This team did poorly in post season awards because they earned it with their play in games this year.

As for using supposed pre-season "talent" Phil Steele does it well. He does not include star power for players not on the team for example (because duh guys not on the team never make good contributions ;) ). Returning starters are worth more cause on average they outperform the others. His predictions like all predictions will become less and less valid as important players miss time for whatever reason throughout the year or there's a 3* Johnny football surprise at QB.

I share your preference for 247 ranking. But signed talent is less and less useful as a proxy for actual talent on a team now, over time (one team retains and develops most 4-5 starts and another gets low performance out of em (poor for NU's 2011 class...Texas classes 2010 2011 and 2012 IIRC their NFL drafts hit the sh*t*r the last few years and that is mostly to do with the the old coaches recruiting not with the current coaches coaching).

Well, other than the fact that NU beat the team that won the B10E... And don't get me started on an average Florida team playing for an SEC championship.

NU has a talented roster.

If some on the board could drop their irrational dislike for the current staff, the answer is kinda simple. The roster is talented and deep in some positions (interior defensive players, wide receivers) and thin and less talented in others (QB, DE, LB). The roster is good in some spots and not so good in others. Does that make it talented or not talented, and how the hell do you decide?

According to some Nostradomi on this board roster depth and quality is the fault solely and exclusively of the current staff. I would include the intellectual giant who, in another thread, predicted the current staff will be gone next year.

Pretty simple: with similarly talented rosters, a fired coach won north of .700 of his games here.

Only when a coach comes in and lays an egg against a very easy schedule do we hear that the talent isn't there to continue 9+ win seasons. Of course, that's not what was said at the time of the firing last year. And it's not the case today, either.

The roster isn't perfect, but it's far better than the results that were wrung out of it.

Now cue: we only won last year because of a single player arguments.

Talent level under Frank was dropping, anyone who is honest can see that. Same with the last staff. MK III Eyeball Detector.

Frank had the #14 class in the country when he was fired, and he likely would've signed Woodhead.

You might want to research that because you are dead wrong AGAIN! Frank wanted nothing to do with DW because he thought he was to small to be a D1 player. Frank sucked a evaluating talent.

Can't believe the mods allow this stuff to come out of this poster unfiltered.

Rozier and numerous Omaha RBs say hi, by the way.

Spooky I am talking about actual talent as shown again and again on the field by play, in the games, this year. Game starting rosters. So no forecasting at all about it. This team did poorly in post season awards because they earned it with their play in games this year.

As for using supposed pre-season "talent" Phil Steele does it well. He does not include star power for players not on the team for example (because duh guys not on the team never make good contributions ;) ). Returning starters are worth more cause on average they outperform the others. His predictions like all predictions will become less and less valid as important players miss time for whatever reason throughout the year or there's a 3* Johnny football surprise at QB.

I share your preference for 247 ranking. But signed talent is less and less useful as a proxy for actual talent on a team now, over time (one team retains and develops most 4-5 starts and another gets low performance out of em (poor for NU's 2011 class...Texas classes 2010 2011 and 2012 IIRC their NFL drafts hit the sh*t*r the last few years and that is mostly to do with the the old coaches recruiting not with the current coaches coaching).

Fair enough. My gut agrees with your premise. I haven't felt NU has had a coherent, year-to-year recruiting plan since 98. While I like the organization and effort this staff has in recruiting I need to see how this class and '17 closes out.

The roster is good in some spots and not so good in others. Does that make it talented or not talented, and how the hell do you decide?

I think purely from a talent perspective (not including the coaching or any other outside factors like staff changes/injuries) this is an 8-win team. Coaching and the right circumstances probably could've had them as a conference title contender or a 4-5 win team. We obviously saw the latter.

I don't want that to come off as me saying bad coaching led to the season the team had. While they coaches are certainly culpable and made mistakes this year, I also believe coaching transitions can sometimes be rough and that doesn't necessarily mean the coaches are bad.

Coaching transitions from bad coaches to good coaches are usually easy. Transitions from good coaches to bad coaches, not so much.

I was going to say the point of my post sailed over your head, but then I realized it didn't. I know you understood what I was saying and yet you reverted to the exhaustive effort of zeroing in on the coaching and completely ignoring the other parts of the post.

I genuinely don't understand how you enjoy being a Husker fan. Your fandom comes off as depressing and tedious.

Well, other than the fact that NU beat the team that won the B10E... And don't get me started on an average Florida team playing for an SEC championship.

If some on the board could drop their irrational dislike for the current staff, the answer is kinda simple. The roster is talented and deep in some positions (interior defensive players, wide receivers) and thin and less talented in others (QB, DE, LB). The roster is good in some spots and not so good in others. Does that make it talented or not talented, and how the hell do you decide?

According to some Nostradomi on this board roster depth and quality is the fault solely and exclusively of the current staff. I would include the intellectual giant who, in another thread, predicted the current staff will be gone next year.

Pretty simple: with similarly talented rosters, a fired coach won north of .700 of his games here.

Only when a coach comes in and lays an egg against a very easy schedule do we hear that the talent isn't there to continue 9+ win seasons. Of course, that's not what was said at the time of the firing last year. And it's not the case today, either.

The roster isn't perfect, but it's far better than the results that were wrung out of it.

Talent level under Frank was dropping, anyone who is honest can see that. Same with the last staff. MK III Eyeball Detector.

Frank had the #14 class in the country when he was fired, and he likely would've signed Woodhead.

Exposed again. You straight up invent crap to try to make a point.

http://dataomaha.com/neb100/player/60

"Danny Woodhead doesn’t dwell on not being recruited by Nebraska and why should he?"

Getting back to the subject...

Nick Saban has said that when Alabama recruits, he has a set of metrics (height, weight, speed, strength etc) for every position on the field for which they are recruiting.

He has said that Alabama will not recruit any player that does not fit those metrics no matter what. He has used those metrics since day one at Alabama... for every position on the field.

If there are multiple recruits that meet those metrics then yes the will look at other factors... but first they must meet the metrics. No exceptions.

Boyd is saying he wants to test as many players as possible during the recruiting process. Smart.

And THAT is why Ameer Abdullah played for the Huskers. :thumbs:

And THAT is why a few notable Alabama players have won the Heisman recently along w Nat'l Champioships and Ameer did neither.

I'm glad we got Ameer, but he's an above avg back at best, all things considered. I'd take Lacy and Henry over him every day of the week.

Getting back to the subject...

Nick Saban has said that when Alabama recruits, he has a set of metrics (height, weight, speed, strength etc) for every position on the field for which they are recruiting.

He has said that Alabama will not recruit any player that does not fit those metrics no matter what. He has used those metrics since day one at Alabama... for every position on the field.

If there are multiple recruits that meet those metrics then yes the will look at other factors... but first they must meet the metrics. No exceptions.

Boyd is saying he wants to test as many players as possible during the recruiting process. Smart.

And THAT is why Ameer Abdullah played for the Huskers. :thumbs:

And THAT is why a few notable Alabama players have won the Heisman recently along w Nat'l Champioships and Ameer did neither.

I'm glad we got Ameer, but he's an above avg back at best, all things considered. I'd take Lacy and Henry over him every day of the week.

Lol.... Ingram and Henry are two of the least deserving Heisman winners in recent memory. I'd take Christian McCaffery and Suh over those 2 any day of the week. They won because the voting system sucks.

You might want to research that because you are dead wrong AGAIN! Frank wanted nothing to do with DW because he thought he was to small to be a D1 player. Frank sucked a evaluating talent.

Frank was slow playing him. He was fired in November. He would have likely offered before signing day. Callahan is the one who wouldn't give him the time of day as he was trying to fill out his first class.

Frank was slow playing him. He was fired in November. He would have likely offered before signing day. Callahan is the one who wouldn't give him the time of day as he was trying to fill out his first class.

That, or Solich would have (at least) asked Woodhead to walk on and likely would have made him a starter/given him a scholly his sophomore or junior year, all things considered.

Exposed again. You straight up invent crap to try to make a point.

http://dataomaha.com/neb100/player/60

"Danny Woodhead doesn’t dwell on not being recruited by Nebraska and why should he?"

HAHAHA! An article about Danny Woodhead not getting a scholarship from Callahan doesn't expose anything I said.

Solich had already recruited Woodhead to walkon, and if a bunch of blue chips didn't fall into place by signing day, he would have gotten a full ride.

That, or Solich would have (at least) asked Woodhead to walk on and likely would have made him a starter/given him a scholly his sophomore or junior year, all things considered.

Solich had alreay asked him to walkon. Don't take anything RADAR says seriously.