[Spoilers] Star Wars Episode VII The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread

My face reading that article:

That-70-s-Show-image-that-70s-show-36165

Knapp, if that hit piece sums up your feelings on TFA, you were lying when you said you enjoyed it.

The article is not wrong. Movies today are horrendous as far as story telling and dealing with cultural issues. Hollywood is far more concerned with making a safe buck, than taking a chance and making a truely ground breaking movie. And ground breaking doesn't mean how much money and SFX can we throw into it.
What exactly were you guys expecting? It's friggin Star Wars! The article is wrong. It blasts the movie from start to finish about it being unoriginal and poorly written.

I'm sorry if people are disappointed in it, but yeesh.

I used to enjoy the prequels, all of them. Until it was just widely accepted that they sucked for whatever reason. Now I can't watch them without thinking how hated they are. I refuse to let that happen to TFA.

It's Star Wars! You're right it doesn't have to be something earth shattering. The beauty of the originals were that they were stories as old as time, simple plots. They were just told in a way like never before, but their simplicity was what made them great. That doesn't mean when "rebooting" the franchise (which this is the first I've heard that these were reboots. Maybe I live under a rock.) That you recycle old plot devices for the 3rd fricken time in a continuing storyline. Seriously that's absurdly lazy... I don't know what else to say. I enjoyed the movie, but it's just another example of a systemic problem in Hollywood. They don't want to take risk, and we suffer for it.

Knapp, if that hit piece sums up your feelings on TFA, you were lying when you said you enjoyed it.

The article is not wrong. Movies today are horrendous as far as story telling and dealing with cultural issues. Hollywood is far more concerned with making a safe buck, than taking a chance and making a truely ground breaking movie. And ground breaking doesn't mean how much money and SFX can we throw into it.
What exactly were you guys expecting? It's friggin Star Wars! The article is wrong. It blasts the movie from start to finish about it being unoriginal and poorly written.

I used to enjoy the prequels, all of them. Until it was just widely accepted that they sucked for whatever reason. Now I can't watch them without thinking how hated they are. I refuse to let that happen to TFA.

It's Star Wars! You're right it doesn't have to be something earth shattering. The beauty of the originals were that they were stories as old as time, simple plots. They were just told in a way like never before, but their simplicity was what made them great. That doesn't mean when "rebooting" the franchise (which this is the first I've heard that these were reboots. Maybe I live under a rock.) That you recycle old plot devices for the 3rd fricken time in a continuing storyline. Seriously that's absurdly lazy... I don't know what else to say. I enjoyed the movie, but it's just another example of a systemic problem in Hollywood. They don't want to take risk, and we suffer for it.

I guess I just didn't get a lazy vibe from the film. I think the whole point of it mirroring A New Hope was intentional. If you look at much of the old expanded universe canon, it was built off of history repeating itself. Granted those stories are no longer canon, but the principle remains.

I do get the gripe though. Droid takes data, meets orphan on desert planet, gang junps on cool ship, meets up with rebellion, old mentor/father figure gets killed, super weapon gets blown up and we wait for the next installment. We know the story and it was obvious as we watched it was a retelling/reboot in ways. I don't feel it was a lazy rehash though, it felt to me like an homage and a way to bring the story to a new generation while staying true to a sequel.

Maybe my opinion will change when I get to see it again, but I am wagering it makes me more of a fanboy.

I guess I just didn't get a lazy vibe from the film. I think the whole point of it mirroring A New Hope was intentional. If you look at much of the old expanded universe canon, it was built off of history repeating itself. Granted those stories are no longer canon, but the principle remains.

I do get the gripe though. Droid takes data, meets orphan on desert planet, gang junps on cool ship, meets up with rebellion, old mentor/father figure gets killed, super weapon gets blown up and we wait for the next installment. We know the story and it was obvious as we watched it was a retelling/reboot in ways. I don't feel it was a lazy rehash though, it felt to me like an homage and a way to bring the story to a new generation while staying true to a sequel.

Maybe my opinion will change when I get to see it again, but I am wagering it makes me more of a fanboy.

All that would have been fine. But they brought in another giant super weapon shaped like a sphere, with a weakness that required pentration by star fighters, with a freaking trench run! That's lazy. You literally needed none of that to tell this story, and yet they did it for the 3rd fricken time... lazy...
  • Fire 1

Yes I saw the numbers and the percentage drop but still, TFA still made 153 million in its 2nd weekend and almost made more in its second weekend alone that what TPM did combined in a three week span.

Also I'm aware that students are out right now but that's due to the holidays, big difference when releasing movies in May than in December.

Star Wars The Force Awakens is the fastest film to reach a billion dollars in just 12 days and the movie hasn't been released in China yet.

And you need to adjust for inflation, and for screens released on, etc. There's about eleventy-billion problems with whatever point you're trying to make with this.

Bottom line is, ATF isn't beyond reproach, there are valid criticisms of it, and box office dollars don't assuage that.

Like the eleventy-billion problems with you comparing TPM to TFA.......?

• Fire 1

All that would have been fine. But they brought in another giant super weapon shaped like a sphere, with a weakness that required pentration by star fighters, with a freaking trench run! That's lazy. You literally needed none of that to tell this story, and yet they did it for the 3rd fricken time... lazy...

Well, one of the new main characters is a superstar pilot and that trait was showcased full force during that portion of the film.

Like I said, I get it. But it did serve a purpose and it met that.

Well, one of the new main characters is a superstar pilot and that trait was showcased full force during that portion of the film.

His skill was show cased well before that with that amazing one cut scene outside Maz's. That was a great scene! Literally Star Killer base did not need to be in this movie, and even if it did, there are a hundred different ways that didn't involve the same elements a-gain.

His skill was show cased well before that with that amazing one cut scene outside Maz's. That was a great scene! Literally Star Killer base did not need to be in this movie, and even if it did, there are a hundred different ways that didn't involve the same elements a-gain.

I think it was fine as a plot device. I do think they could have not blown it up, that is my gripe with it.

While everyone can probably appreciate your dogged loyalty, can you just chill out on the kneejerk defense of everything about this movie? This wasn't Citizen Kane. It's a movie with flaws, and we're talking about all of it, both the good & the bad. Allow people to discuss the bad without acting like we urinated on your children, OK?

I agree, it didn't need to be in the movie. It also wasn't the star of the movie. If not Starkiller Base, it was going to be [insert some other thing] that was also not going to be central, and would also be roundly criticized if it failed to be the coolest, newest thing..so it's alright. I wasn't the biggest fan of the design of the weapon, but it made for one hell of a scene when they fired it. Worth it all for Hux's "Mother of god" moment.

And while Luke's trench run and the Death Star's destruction was pivotal and climactic in ANH, Starkiller Base is a background element. At the fore is Han's decision to turn back and face his responsibilities, however resignedly, knowing where he was headed. That was not upstaged, but it still gave us some great X-wing scenes that to me didn't feel extraneous.

I would've preferred something different, too -- maybe a giant land invasion? But climactic, new foreground elements such as those may be best reserved for future movies that need them to move the story. There's no sense in blowing the wad here only for Eps. 8/9 to either duplicate Ep7, or "Hey guys, it's Ep7's ending, but BIGGER." A soft homage amidst a couple of crucial confrontations seems appropriate by means of re-introduction. As long as the next act is not "In Which They Build Another One And Get Foiled At The Last Again", again.

While everyone can probably appreciate your dogged loyalty, can you just chill out on the kneejerk defense of everything about this movie? This wasn't Citizen Kane. It's a movie with flaws, and we're talking about all of it, both the good & the bad. Allow people to discuss the bad without acting like we urinated on your children, OK?

Funny, I almost said earlier that you shouldn't have been expecting Citizen Kane.

I'm all for discussing the good and bad, but I haven't heard any good from you yet really, so thats probably why I'm acting like you went R Kelly on my offspring.

I finally saw TFA yesterday with my family. I thought it was great. Yes, there are parallels to ANH, but I think that was done on purpose by Abrams. I also liked how TFA mixed in the old characters with the new. I am sure most of the focus on Epiosdes 8-9 will be with the new characters, but it's good to have the old characters on the screen.

I loved Finn but he was totally unrealistic. He was raised from toddler to adult by the dark side to be a killing machine. No way in hell is he that well adjusted if this was real life. And why does he know about Han and Luke and think of them as heroes or whatever? He was raised with other future stormtroopers. If they were gonna be told about Luke and Han it would've been about how evil they are.

Brainwashing can wear off, or maybe it never stick to begin with. He was basically a janitor before he saw action, maybe he never bought in and said eff this when actually called to duty.

Not buying that. They raised him basically from birth. He had literally no one other experiences. Brainwashing not sticking would just make him a vegetable.