What year did Nebraska change from Cornhuskers to Huskers?

Hayseed

I'm pretty sure Pedey added "Huskers" as an offical name and trademarked it and added it to official logos pretty early in his tenure. But he didn't replace "Cornhuskers" as the official mascot.

EDIT: After some research, I think it was Bill Byrne that added "Huskers" back in about '96.

It was Dollar Bill Byrne that attempted to officially declare us the Huskers instead of the Cornhuskers. We have been both for decades as a practical matter. Byrne believed Nebraska had a national image of being a bunch of corn farmers in the boonies and thought "Huskers" sounded much less 'farmer' and hick. I think the hick farmer image has been a great benefit overall and contrasted us from many of the other brands out there.

• Fire 2

I'm pretty sure Pedey added "Huskers" as an offical name and trademarked it and added it to official logos pretty early in his tenure. But he didn't replace "Cornhuskers" as the official mascot.

EDIT: After some research, I think it was Bill Byrne that added "Huskers" back in about '96.

It was Dollar Bill Byrne that attempted to officially declare us the Huskers instead of the Cornhuskers. We have been both for decades as a practical matter. Byrne believed Nebraska had a national image of being a bunch of corn farmers in the boonies and thought "Huskers" sounded much less 'farmer' and hick. I think the hick farmer image has been a great benefit overall and contrasted us from many of the other brands out there.

I agree..and I think that attitude is an insult to the farmers and ranchers here.