5-7 and Impact on Recruiting

5-7 in one season is frustrating for fans, but not necessarily a deal breaker for recruits. The poor record, spun the right way, indicates opportunity for incoming freshmen. Changes will made, and early play time is a likely for some.

OTOH, I think the frustration of fans is probably a bigger problem to recruiting than the crappy record. Nebraska has world class facilities, and is a historical, storied football program. Not many places have a trophy case as full as ours. We're an impressive destination for recruits. But when Husker fans scream to high heavens calling for the coaches to be fired, and the local newspapers run articles dragging the staff through through the mud it makes recruits question the job security of the coaches. That's why I find it so maddening when posters spew the same crap in every single thread on the board. It's okay to be frustrated and angry about 5-7. We all are. But some of us feel like it actually hurts the program to say the same negative things over and over and over in about 50 different threads.

Ah, geez, not this self-loathing crap again.

Even if you believe that the fans' angst has a bigger impact on recruiting than a 5-7 record--itself a ridiculous proposition--the whole reason the fans are upset is because of the 5-7 record. So even in that warped view, yes, the 5-7 record has a negative impact on recruiting, either directly or vis a vis it's role in generating fan angst.

Thus, Riley & Co. only have themselves to blame for the dismal recruiting. Unless you go so far as to argue that the fans' angst is the reason for the 5-7 record, in which case you've not only warped space and time, but are now emulating Pelini's excuse-factory approach to coaching and the origin of the "us against the world" mentality.

I can't believe some fans actually believe this crap.

Nice job trying to turn the above post into an excuse about fans causing the losses, however that's a long stretch based on what was stated by NUance.

"the fans" - I didn't know we are all upset. Might not be happy that we didn't win as many as expected, but in no way am I upset - I'm sure there are others that would agree.

So "Riley & Co. only have themselves to blame" because of the poor record. I didn't know that the games outcome was 100% based on the coaches. I thought there were players on the field for two different teams and a set of coaches on the other side. I would think that a combination of those 4 groups would decide the game. Maybe in 2016 we can go with your idea and each week at about 55 different stadiums we can just have the coaches walk out on the field and after a few minutes of coach talk the refs can declare a winner for each game. Sounds fun!!!!

You drunk when you wrote that?

Are you in high school? That reply sounds like something I use to hear 30 years ago in the 11th grade. If you are going to take the time to post and have other posters value your replies you might want to put something of substance in the post.

5-7 in one season is frustrating for fans, but not necessarily a deal breaker for recruits. The poor record, spun the right way, indicates opportunity for incoming freshmen. Changes will made, and early play time is a likely for some.

OTOH, I think the frustration of fans is probably a bigger problem to recruiting than the crappy record. Nebraska has world class facilities, and is a historical, storied football program. Not many places have a trophy case as full as ours. We're an impressive destination for recruits. But when Husker fans scream to high heavens calling for the coaches to be fired, and the local newspapers run articles dragging the staff through through the mud it makes recruits question the job security of the coaches. That's why I find it so maddening when posters spew the same crap in every single thread on the board. It's okay to be frustrated and angry about 5-7. We all are. But some of us feel like it actually hurts the program to say the same negative things over and over and over in about 50 different threads.

Ah, geez, not this self-loathing crap again.

Even if you believe that the fans' angst has a bigger impact on recruiting than a 5-7 record--itself a ridiculous proposition--the whole reason the fans are upset is because of the 5-7 record. So even in that warped view, yes, the 5-7 record has a negative impact on recruiting, either directly or vis a vis it's role in generating fan angst.

Thus, Riley & Co. only have themselves to blame for the dismal recruiting. Unless you go so far as to argue that the fans' angst is the reason for the 5-7 record, in which case you've not only warped space and time, but are now emulating Pelini's excuse-factory approach to coaching and the origin of the "us against the world" mentality.

I can't believe some fans actually believe this crap.

Nice job trying to turn the above post into an excuse about fans causing the losses, however that's a long stretch based on what was stated by NUance.

"the fans" - I didn't know we are all upset. Might not be happy that we didn't win as many as expected, but in no way am I upset - I'm sure there are others that would agree.

So "Riley & Co. only have themselves to blame" because of the poor record. I didn't know that the games outcome was 100% based on the coaches. I thought there were players on the field for two different teams and a set of coaches on the other side. I would think that a combination of those 4 groups would decide the game. Maybe in 2016 we can go with your idea and each week at about 55 different stadiums we can just have the coaches walk out on the field and after a few minutes of coach talk the refs can declare a winner for each game. Sounds fun!!!!

You drunk when you wrote that?

Are you in high school? That reply sounds like something I use to hear 30 years ago in the 11th grade. If you are going to take the time to post and have other posters value your replies you might want to put something of substance in the post.

You should take your own advice. Your prior reply demonstrated terrible reading comprehension at best and was unintelligible at worst. It looks like you're sober now, though. One day at a time, friend. One day at a time.

it's not 5-7 having a negative effect on recruiting it's the calling for the coaches to be fired after the second and third loss of the season. how long have these kids been hearing about how the coaches need to go from the fans and other programs picking up on this then using it negatively?

Here we go again. Just like under Bo. It's everyone but the coaches' fault (AD, fans, big bad media). I guess being a successful coach these days comes down to having the luck to be surrounded by a good fan base. Otherwise all your schemes, teaching ability, recruiting savvy, etc. are for naught.

it's not 5-7 having a negative effect on recruiting it's the calling for the coaches to be fired after the second and third loss of the season. how long have these kids been hearing about how the coaches need to go from the fans and other programs picking up on this then using it negatively?

Here we go again. Just like under Bo. It's everyone but the coaches' fault (AD, fans, big bad media). I guess being a successful coach these days comes down to having the luck to be surrounded by a good fan base. Otherwise all your schemes, teaching ability, recruiting savvy, etc. are for naught.
There are many variableS in recruiting. Even a message board is a variable. A recruit can get a slice of what the fans think of the program very easily.

i didnt absolve the coaching staff of blame. but think about it for a minute, how do you expect a recruit to seriously look at a school that just hired a coach and 5 games into a transitional season fans are calling for them to be fired? just that uncertainty can make anyone skeptical.

I don't think the record would ruin anything. It's an anomaly and not the norm. The Huskers were competitive and in most games. And if a recruit walked onto campus, saw the facilities, the Heisman winners, the NC trophies, the history, and possibly caught the MSU game.....Even the courtesy shown to them by the fan base in person.... I mean, it's just pretty easy to get excited about being a Husker.

• Fire 1

I don't think the record would ruin anything. It's an anomaly and not the norm. The Huskers were competitive and in most games. And if a recruit walked onto campus, saw the facilities, the Heisman winners, the NC trophies, the history, and possibly caught the MSU game.....Even the courtesy shown to them by the fan base in person.... I mean, it's just pretty easy to get excited about being a Husker.

I agree with this ... and now the "but" ...

We need all of this just to attract 3-5 four star athletes and to get our fair share of three star players. It's the momentum and sound football along with a winning mentality and wins that lead to the better recruits and getting them to commit to our program, at least a program like Nebraska. That momentum hasn't happened here in years. In previous years it was 2-3 key blowout losses that really puzzled some key recruits each season it seemed. This season, we have a "weather" issue. Note, that "weather" issue isn't really an issue when you are in the hunt for a conference championship and are a contender for all the marbles. "Weather" is an issue when you lose key games in blowouts or you are 5-7. Recruits find a way to a hotter program ... both in terms of weather and upside of their bigger dreams.

• 4 weeks later...

FWIW, Nate Clouse at HuskerOnline said this class would have been "drastically" different if we had won 10 games instead of 6.

Now, he's also still saying he thinks this will be a Top 25 class - which isn't out of the question but we have a long way to go from our current #45 ranking on Rivals which is who he works for. So it's possible he's a little too much of a homer as well.

There is nothing but wild, near baseless speculation on all of this recruiting stuff. You just need to wait and evaluate how the class 'ranks' when all the classes are done and signed. Ratings and recruiting 'gurus' don't know all that much. Many of their ratings, in my opinion, are purely the product of looking at their offers and who has offered. If a good school offers, then they rate them high. If not, then they don't. Nebraska offers have never been valued highly by these recruiting sites either. Back in the day, Osborne recruiting according to his needs and desires and did not pay attention to what the so called experts thought. He evaluated them himself based on film and personal looks. If you rely on the opinions of others not associated with your program, you will fall flat on your face.

As for recruiting, in my view, recruits are going to look at a number of factors (some kids will weigh each factor very differently): 1. The school and education he will receive. 2. The coaching he will receive. 3. The ability to play the desired position and how quickly he will find an opening. 4. The chance to win a championship and find a way to the NFL. 5. The proximity to home and family and friends. 6. The weather, extended family, friends and family history with the school or location generally.

7. The facilities and other related amenities to campus. 8. Religious or other group affiliations.

Thus, Nebraska needs to be sure to sell the quality and type of education they are offering. The coaching with its NFL and long term history and experience. Availability and need at each positions. Championship history and potential and NFL products. Target of players in the neighborhood when possible, focus on guys with NU or Nebraks ties, etc. Emphasis on quality of life in Lincoln, campus facilites, travel and outdoor, etc.

To recruit away from sunny California, warm TX or beautiful Florida, you're goiing to need to sell the important things, particularly the parents and the coaches. Championships are possible when you land the right players. We have a RB and QB that are national title caliber. We already have half a team of conference championship capable players. We need 25 excellent players this year and next. I believe we are almost half way there NOW. 6 more this year and 10 more next year and we are over the hump. Don't sell this class out when we haven't even finished yet.

In '04, I was told that a poor season bolstered recruiting because coaches could make the "we need players to fit the system and talent upgrades so you have an immediate chance to play" pitch.

Guess that doesn't apply so much anymore...?

Whatever. Recruiting is about relationships and i don't expect a new staff to do amazing things during a first season (unless a they are being shady ... See John Blake style). 45th or whatever is worse, by the rankings, than traditional NU results, but it's probably not much worse when you look it at based on a "tier" systems.

I do tire of the pretzeling that people do to waive away any perceived failing of this staff, though.

FWIW, Nate Clouse at HuskerOnline said this class would have been "drastically" different if we had won 10 games instead of 6.

Now, he's also still saying he thinks this will be a Top 25 class - which isn't out of the question but we have a long way to go from our current #45 ranking on Rivals which is who he works for. So it's possible he's a little too much of a homer as well.

Yeah, prospects (and opposing coaches) have a way of noticing when you drive a winning program into the ditch in your first year.