5-7 and Impact on Recruiting

5-7 in one season is frustrating for fans, but not necessarily a deal breaker for recruits. The poor record, spun the right way, indicates opportunity for incoming freshmen. Changes will made, and early play time is a likely for some.

OTOH, I think the frustration of fans is probably a bigger problem to recruiting than the crappy record. Nebraska has world class facilities, and is a historical, storied football program. Not many places have a trophy case as full as ours. We're an impressive destination for recruits. But when Husker fans scream to high heavens calling for the coaches to be fired, and the local newspapers run articles dragging the staff through through the mud it makes recruits question the job security of the coaches. That's why I find it so maddening when posters spew the same crap in every single thread on the board. It's okay to be frustrated and angry about 5-7. We all are. But some of us feel like it actually hurts the program to say the same negative things over and over and over in about 50 different threads.

Ah, geez, not this self-loathing crap again.

Even if you believe that the fans' angst has a bigger impact on recruiting than a 5-7 record--itself a ridiculous proposition--the whole reason the fans are upset is because of the 5-7 record. So even in that warped view, yes, the 5-7 record has a negative impact on recruiting, either directly or vis a vis it's role in generating fan angst.

Thus, Riley & Co. only have themselves to blame for the dismal recruiting. Unless you go so far as to argue that the fans' angst is the reason for the 5-7 record, in which case you've not only warped space and time, but are now emulating Pelini's excuse-factory approach to coaching and the origin of the "us against the world" mentality.

I can't believe some fans actually believe this crap.

• Fire 3

5-7 in one season is frustrating for fans, but not necessarily a deal breaker for recruits. The poor record, spun the right way, indicates opportunity for incoming freshmen. Changes will made, and early play time is a likely for some.

OTOH, I think the frustration of fans is probably a bigger problem to recruiting than the crappy record. Nebraska has world class facilities, and is a historical, storied football program. Not many places have a trophy case as full as ours. We're an impressive destination for recruits. But when Husker fans scream to high heavens calling for the coaches to be fired, and the local newspapers run articles dragging the staff through through the mud it makes recruits question the job security of the coaches. That's why I find it so maddening when posters spew the same crap in every single thread on the board. It's okay to be frustrated and angry about 5-7. We all are. But some of us feel like it actually hurts the program to say the same negative things over and over and over in about 50 different threads.

Even if you believe that the fans' angst has a bigger impact on recruiting than a 5-7 record--itself a ridiculous proposition--the whole reason the fans are upset is because of the 5-7 record. So even in that warped view, yes, the 5-7 record has a negative impact on recruiting, either directly or vis a vis it's role in generating fan angst.

Thus, Riley & Co. only have themselves to blame for the dismal recruiting. Unless you go so far as to argue that the fans' angst is the reason for the 5-7 record, in which case you've not only warped space and time, but are now emulating Pelini's excuse-factory approach to coaching and the origin of the "us against the world" mentality.

So you don't feel that a recruit reading dozens of threads on message boards calling for the coaches to be fired would perhaps think twice about committing to that school? Sure, I'm not happy with this past season. I'm pissed as hell. But I'm just not the type of person who would flush my alma mater down the toilet with hundreds vitriolic message board posts that may potentially damage their recruiting efforts. Instead, I'm hoping these coaches we now have will gain some traction in the next few weeks and salvage this year's recruiting effort. But I guess that's just me. :dunno:

• Fire 2

So you don't feel that a recruit reading dozens of threads on message boards calling for the coaches to be fired would perhaps think twice about committing to that school? Sure, I'm not happy with this past season. I'm pissed as hell. But I'm just not the type of person who would flush my alma mater down the toilet with hundreds vitriolic message board posts that may potentially damage their recruiting efforts. Instead, I'm hoping these coaches we now have will gain some traction in the next few weeks and salvage this year's recruiting effort. But I guess that's just me. :dunno:

Honestly, I think you're making way too much out of the fan angst. Ask yourself what fan base is not going to be vocal and upset about 5-7 record on message boards after going 9-3 the prior year? It's very, very unrealistic to expect anything different, honestly. Again, the root problem is the 5-7 record, not fans' reaction to it. They go hand in hand, so much so that I think the recruit will be focused on the record and the state of the program, not the predictable, understandable, knee-jerk disappointment from the fans to the product on the field.

As a convert--someone who did not grow up on Husker football and only became a fan in my early 20s after following other teams for the first 22 years of my life--I have never seen a fanbase with as guilty a conscious as this one. We're not to blame for the dreary recruiting. We're not the ones at fault here. We're okay.

Nice job trying to turn the above post into an excuse about fans causing the losses, however that's a long stretch based on what was stated by NUance.

"the fans" - I didn't know we are all upset. Might not be happy that we didn't win as many as expected, but in no way am I upset - I'm sure there are others that would agree.

So "Riley & Co. only have themselves to blame" because of the poor record. I didn't know that the games outcome was 100% based on the coaches. I thought there were players on the field for two different teams and a set of coaches on the other side. I would think that a combination of those 4 groups would decide the game. Maybe in 2016 we can go with your idea and each week at about 55 different stadiums we can just have the coaches walk out on the field and after a few minutes of coach talk the refs can declare a winner for each game. Sounds fun!!!!

Didn't Bill Callahan's second recruiting class come off a 5-7 and rank, on average, around the 7th best class in the nation?

I wonder how far Callahan's super bowl reputation carried him.

Well, his next two classes were not even in the Top 10.

I don't think finishing 5-7 is a good thing for recruiting by any means, but, I think you can spin it in a way that it doesn't really hurt you. That said, a 5-7 season years down the road won't be as easy to glance over.

Didn't Bill Callahan's second recruiting class come off a 5-7 and rank, on average, around the 7th best class in the nation?

As I stated earlier - some coach hires are splash and get the immediate bump and some are not so splashy and they have to build on success..... BC had some splash behind him, however some of his past NFL players would say it was the wrong kind of splash.

It has some effect and Riley being 62 has an effect as well. He's an easy target for negative recruiting.

64 year old Nick Saban says Hi

Saban is on top of the world, Riley isn't. Opposing recruiters can point to Riley being gone in the near future, due to us firing him or him retiring. It's not just that he's 62, it's that he's 62 and under fire. Riley's built nothing here yet, Saban has built a juggernaut at Alabama.

I'm sure recruiters point out Nick's age too, just doesn't have much effect when your winning big like him. Riley's selling a rebuilding project at 62, it's a tougher sell.

Nice job trying to turn the above post into an excuse about fans causing the losses, however that's a long stretch based on what was stated by NUance.

"the fans" - I didn't know we are all upset. Might not be happy that we didn't win as many as expected, but in no way am I upset - I'm sure there are others that would agree.

So "Riley & Co. only have themselves to blame" because of the poor record. I didn't know that the games outcome was 100% based on the coaches. I thought there were players on the field for two different teams and a set of coaches on the other side. I would think that a combination of those 4 groups would decide the game. Maybe in 2016 we can go with your idea and each week at about 55 different stadiums we can just have the coaches walk out on the field and after a few minutes of coach talk the refs can declare a winner for each game. Sounds fun!!!!

You drunk when you wrote that?

I think good recruiters can overcome a 5-7 record, but let's be very honest: Pre-Nebraska, pretty much everyone regarded Riley as a nice guy but not necessarily a winning coach. The hope was that he was being held back by the difficulties of attracting talent to Corvallis and that things would work beautifully (on the field and on the recruiting circuit) when you married Riley's coaching with Nebraska-level talent and resources. Well, that didn't happen. He took a 9-3 team to 5-7, and the recruiting has been dismal at best. When your results on the field are lackluster and your disposition is soft, it's understandable that talented kids would want to look elsewhere.

Bottom line, OSU 2014 and Nebraska 2015 look very much the same and there's only one common denominator. I hope this year was just growing pains and Riley will turn it around, but it's not looking pretty right now.