Mike Riley's Recruiting Adventures and What Nebraska Fans Should Expect Moving Forward

eightlaces

I give Riley and staff credit for the work they did keeping most of the 2015 class together but to say they kept ever Pelini recruit on board is false.

I believe the only ones they "lost" were ones that decommitted prior to Riley being hired. Am I wrong in that? Just can't remember that far back.

Jurkovic was one. He ended up not qualifying for Ohio State.

Bussey flipped more than a gymnast

Who else am I missing?

I give Riley and staff credit for the work they did keeping most of the 2015 class together but to say they kept ever Pelini recruit on board is false.

I believe the only ones they "lost" were ones that decommitted prior to Riley being hired. Am I wrong in that? Just can't remember that far back.

Who else am I missing?

Yeah, Jurkovic decommitted right after Pelini was fired. Wasn't counting him.

We probably wouldn't have kept Bussey anyway but the new staff didn't even call him for quite awhile - the story was they thought he had already decommitted.

Reuben Jones flipped to Michigan in January.

Who else am I missing?

Yeah, Jurkovic decommitted right after Pelini was fired. Wasn't counting him.

We probably wouldn't have kept Bussey anyway but the new staff didn't even call him for quite awhile - the story was they thought he had already decommitted.

Reuben Jones flipped to Michigan in January.

Jones. That's right. Forgot about him. I know there were a couple of other non qualifiers. Lundie and Dillman. And then there was the Hunter Dale fiasco but I'm not sure that is at the feet of Riley.

Overall, he did a very admirable job keeping the class together.

The 6-7 season is only as relevant to this argument to the degree which it impacts recruiting. I agree, Riley and the coaching staff had a lot of work to do in a short time when they were brought here to Lincoln, and they did a pretty good job ensuring commitments from most of the 2014-15 class. It's pretty difficult to bat 1.000 in that area, so it's more important to look at the impact the players we kept made vs the impact players we didn't keep made at other schools. The guys we kept made far more of an impact at Nebraska than the guys we lost made wherever they wound up.

Nebraska's in a little of a recruiting lull at the moment, but it's still very, very early in the recruiting game. I think we'll hit 2/3 guys mentioned in the article and secure a few more commits as we head to National Signing Day. Hopefully 6-7 is the lowest mark of Riley's tenure at Nebraska, and I think it probably will be. Next season might not be too fantastic, but it'll certainly be better than 6-7.

Nebraska's in a little of a recruiting lull at the moment, but it's still very, very early in the recruiting game. I think we'll hit 2/3 guys mentioned in the article and secure a few more commits as we head to National Signing Day. Hopefully 6-7 is the lowest mark of Riley's tenure at Nebraska, and I think it probably will be. Next season might not be too fantastic, but it'll certainly be better than 6-7.

Five weeks to signing day is not very, very early in the recruiting game.

If we get two out of three among Farniok, Jackson and Fitzpatrick that would be good. The problem is the list of guys we were in on a couple weeks ago was quite a bit longer.

What impact would you say that "negative fan reactions" had for Pelini when it came to recruiting?

Because if that's a valid excuse now, you can only imagine what it must have been like trying to recruit with people calling for your head after a 9 win season and a bowl win over Georgia... not to mention, almost no outward support from an administration.

I'm just trying to figure out where the goalposts are set.

Reality is, Riley will probably recruit about as well as his predecessor and the two coaches before that guy. This recruitnik parsing of a recruit here and there isn't really worth much.

It's going to come down to whether Riley and his staff can get a +2 to +4 wins out of talent that should consistently win 8 games a season (i.e., the level of talent NU has and will likely continue to bring in).

This year, they were at least -5 in my opinion.

• Fire 1

What impact would you say that "negative fan reactions" had for Pelini when it came to recruiting?

Because if that's a valid excuse now, you can only imagine what it must have been like trying to recruit with people calling for your head after a 9 win season and a bowl win over Georgia... not to mention, almost no outward support from an administration.

I'm just trying to figure out where the goalposts are set.

Reality is, Riley will probably recruit about as well as his predecessor and the two coaches before that guy. This recruitnik parsing of a recruit here and there isn't really worth much.

It's going to come down to whether Riley and his staff can get a +2 to +4 wins out of talent that should consistently win 8 games a season (i.e., the level of talent NU has and will likely continue to bring in).

This year, they were at least -5 in my opinion.

I'm a little confused about your last few sentences. You say that Nebraska should consistently win 8 games a season and then go on to say that they were at least -5 wins this season. Wouldn't they be -2?