Bowl game makes Riley believe in the run....

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bowl-makes-mike-riley-believer-power-run-nebraska-071128415--ncaaf.html

Hopefully this is true and they use the run a little more next season. You have to have a strong run game to be successful especially in the B1G, we've got that and hopefully this was a learning experience for the coaching staff. 2016 season here we come.....:thumbs

• Fire 3

I like this comment.

''What we eventually want to do next year is be in the top three in the league in running the football, and when you can do that, then life goes better everywhere,'' Riley said. ''We didn't necessarily have to wait until next year to start with that idea.''

I just wish that this was the mentality from day one.....

I honestly dont see this happening next year. Man it felt good watching that game against ucla. I just think that these guys are way to stuck in their way to change philosophy next season. Recruiting a pocket passer qb also tells me that a strong running game isn't in the cards next year. We will talk about the bowl game all offseason and then when week 5 rolls around we're all guna be like "what the f**k? Why are we throwing it 65% of th e time?"

I really hope im wrong. But I think langsdorf gets goose bumps watching a strong passing attack--the way most husker fans feel watching a power running game. I think in his mind, he wants to show Nebraska fans how it can work and be all great and everything. But the truth is we don't want to watch Usc/Oregon/ucla hiding in Nebraska uniforms. We want NEBRASKA to play in Nebraska uniforms. Blue collar football that we can be Damn proud of. You know, the way we all felt after the foster farms bowl

• Fire 2

I honestly dont see this happening next year. Man it felt good watching that game against ucla. I just think that these guys are way to stuck in their way to change philosophy next season. Recruiting a pocket passer qb also tells me that a strong running game isn't in the cards next year. We will talk about the bowl game all offseason and then when week 5 rolls around we're all guna be like "what the f**k? Why are we throwing it 65% of th e time?"

I really hope im wrong. But I think langsdorf gets goose bumps watching a strong passing attack--the way most husker fans feel watching a power running game. I think in his mind, he wants to show Nebraska fans how it can work and be all great and everything. But the truth is we don't want to watch Usc/Oregon/ucla hiding in Nebraska uniforms. We want NEBRASKA to play in Nebraska uniforms. Blue collar football that we can be Damn proud of. You know, the way we all felt after the foster farms bowl

Honestly, why can't we have a strong power run game AND a lethal air attack?

Having a pure pocket passer under center does not negate the possibility of a power run game.

• Fire 2

Having a pure pocket passer under center does not negate the possibility of a power run game.

Limited reps in a week. Mainly.

And what is the obsession with wanting a "pure pocket passer"??? That's the most easily defended QB in college football. I just don't get why people ignore what experts (and offenses) continue to advocate?

• Fire 1

And what is the obsession with wanting a "pure pocket passer"??? That's the most easily defended QB in college football. I just don't get why people ignore what experts (and offenses) continue to advocate?

Nick Saban (Coker) and Dantonio (Cook) probably disagree that a pure pocket passer is easy to defend. 50% of the playoff teams, and probably 50% of the top 25 have pocket passers under center. And in this league, I'd say it might even be more of an advantage. Iowa didn't exactly do too bad w/ their QB averaging 17 rush yards a game. Passer or rusher, efficiency and game management is going to be the key. Especially when you look at the talent we have at WR, RB and TE. If we had someone that did a better job of distributing the ball to our other 10 playmakers instead of putting our season on the shoulders of 1 guy under center each year I'd say we're a lot better off.

• Fire 6

What would be more accurate is, what's with the revulsion when one is mentioned?

Limited reps? Explain how Alabama does it then? Or any other team that has a power running game to go along with their better than average passing attack?

Can POB run or is he pretty much like a statue back there? Maybe wt a pure pocket passer, you can use the dink pass to the RB or a screen, etc - which technically are passes but mainly rely on running ability of the back. Remember we will also get DPE back next year. He should figure heavily in the run production from his WR spot - I see sweeps, reverses in the cards wt him back on the field. We forget how much he could have contributed to this team - perhaps a win or 2 for sure and less reliance on TA's arm.

I for one am all for a pure passer who can distribute the ball effectively to the other play makers. We have good receivers, tight ends and RBs. What hurt us wasn't TA dual threat as a running QB but his threat (to US!) in the passing game. If we can challenge the D wt our other skill players in the run game + have an efficient QB - this O will be difficult to stop especially if we get the OL muscled up and give them the goal of being pancake makers instead of 'finesse' blockers .

Nick Saban (Coker) and Dantonio (Cook) probably disagree that a pure pocket passer is easy to defend. 50% of the playoff teams, and probably 50% of the top 25 have pocket passers under center. And in this league, I'd say it might even be more of an advantage. Iowa didn't exactly do too bad w/ their QB averaging 17 rush yards a game. Passer or rusher, efficiency and game management is going to be the key. Especially when you look at the talent we have at WR, RB and TE. If we had someone that did a better job of distributing the ball to our other 10 playmakers instead of putting our season on the shoulders of 1 guy under center each year I'd say we're a lot better off.

If we could match our oline and qb talent to our WR/RB/TE we'd be pretty much unstoppable on offense.

What would be more accurate is, what's with the revulsion when one is mentioned?

Limited reps? Explain how Alabama does it then? Or any other team that has a power running game to go along with their better than average passing attack?

Fans would want more of a Stanford look.

Can POB run or is he pretty much like a statue back there? Maybe wt a pure pocket passer, you can use the dink pass to the RB or a screen, etc - which technically are passes but mainly rely on running ability of the back. Remember we will also get DPE back next year. He should figure heavily in the run production from his WR spot - I see sweeps, reverses in the cards wt him back on the field. We forget how much he could have contributed to this team - perhaps a win or 2 for sure and less reliance on TA's arm.

I don't think too many guys at 18-22 are going to be a version of 38 year old Peyton Manning camping out in the pocket. Even Blaine Gabbert was mobile. They're 18-20 years old, they aren't statues. They can all scramble, and it's a lot easier to do so when the D has to respect your arm.

I don't think too many guys at 18-22 are going to be a version of 38 year old Peyton Manning camping out in the pocket. Even Blaine Gabbert was mobile. They're 18-20 years old, they aren't statues. They can all scramble, and it's a lot easier to do so when the D has to respect your arm.

Blaine Gabbert mobile? Sorta I guess, in the same way a Mack truck is mobile....heh

I think some teams can, but, I also think you need to know what's going to pay the check and what's going to work best for your team.

That's why I'm not convinced this game means much moving forward because who is to say we'll see this kind of performance week-to-week in the Big Ten grind? The team had a month to prepare and get in the mindset they had on the 26th. Will that be the case come spring and fall camp? If you look at this roster coming back next year, the most talented playmakers are in the receiving corp. I'm sure the coaches are keeping that in the back of their minds, too.

I believe, particularly in the Big Ten, you're better suited leaning towards strong line play and a good rushing attack over anything else. And this style of play can suit you even out of conference - case in point The Foster Farms Bowl. A team with more more 'speed' and perceived 'talent' got worked on the LOS.

Well except for this guy

B7V5gZCCEAInw8W.jpg

Leftwich broke his leg but stayed in the game. He had to be carried to the next down spot.

• Fire 1