Bowl game makes Riley believe in the run....

I honestly dont see this happening next year. Man it felt good watching that game against ucla. I just think that these guys are way to stuck in their way to change philosophy next season. Recruiting a pocket passer qb also tells me that a strong running game isn't in the cards next year. We will talk about the bowl game all offseason and then when week 5 rolls around we're all guna be like "what the f**k? Why are we throwing it 65% of th e time?"

I really hope im wrong. But I think langsdorf gets goose bumps watching a strong passing attack--the way most husker fans feel watching a power running game. I think in his mind, he wants to show Nebraska fans how it can work and be all great and everything. But the truth is we don't want to watch Usc/Oregon/ucla hiding in Nebraska uniforms. We want NEBRASKA to play in Nebraska uniforms. Blue collar football that we can be Damn proud of. You know, the way we all felt after the foster farms bowl

Honestly, why can't we have a strong power run game AND a lethal air attack?

Having a pure pocket passer under center does not negate the possibility of a power run game.

Limited reps in a week. Mainly.

And what is the obsession with wanting a "pure pocket passer"??? That's the most easily defended QB in college football. I just don't get why people ignore what experts (and offenses) continue to advocate?

What would be more accurate is, what's with the revulsion when one is mentioned?

Limited reps? Explain how Alabama does it then? Or any other team that has a power running game to go along with their better than average passing attack?

Answering the bolded first:

1. they don't. Alabama is ranked 49th in the country in total offense and 33rd in scoring - and in terms of passing offense, they are 73rd in the country.

2. and that's despite access to talent that NU will not ever consistently land.

You're moving the goalposts... now it's "better than average passing attack" when you just a moment ago used the term "elite." Maybe we should nail down what you actually mean before continuing.

• Fire 1

I honestly dont see this happening next year. Man it felt good watching that game against ucla. I just think that these guys are way to stuck in their way to change philosophy next season. Recruiting a pocket passer qb also tells me that a strong running game isn't in the cards next year. We will talk about the bowl game all offseason and then when week 5 rolls around we're all guna be like "what the f**k? Why are we throwing it 65% of th e time?"

I really hope im wrong. But I think langsdorf gets goose bumps watching a strong passing attack--the way most husker fans feel watching a power running game. I think in his mind, he wants to show Nebraska fans how it can work and be all great and everything. But the truth is we don't want to watch Usc/Oregon/ucla hiding in Nebraska uniforms. We want NEBRASKA to play in Nebraska uniforms. Blue collar football that we can be Damn proud of. You know, the way we all felt after the foster farms bowl

Having a pure pocket passer under center does not negate the possibility of a power run game.

And what is the obsession with wanting a "pure pocket passer"??? That's the most easily defended QB in college football. I just don't get why people ignore what experts (and offenses) continue to advocate?

What would be more accurate is, what's with the revulsion when one is mentioned?

Limited reps? Explain how Alabama does it then? Or any other team that has a power running game to go along with their better than average passing attack?

Fans would want more of a Stanford look.

Stanford was 77th in the country this year in passing... that's not what a lot of fans (and apparently this staff) want to be.

What I don't understand is why some have an aversion to a mobile QB.

Can POB run or is he pretty much like a statue back there? Maybe wt a pure pocket passer, you can use the dink pass to the RB or a screen, etc - which technically are passes but mainly rely on running ability of the back. Remember we will also get DPE back next year. He should figure heavily in the run production from his WR spot - I see sweeps, reverses in the cards wt him back on the field. We forget how much he could have contributed to this team - perhaps a win or 2 for sure and less reliance on TA's arm.

I don't think too many guys at 18-22 are going to be a version of 38 year old Peyton Manning camping out in the pocket. Even Blaine Gabbert was mobile. They're 18-20 years old, they aren't statues. They can all scramble, and it's a lot easier to do so when the D has to respect your arm.

Blaine Gabbert mobile? Sorta I guess, in the same way a Mack truck is mobile....heh

Gabbert was actually a pretty good athlete

Can POB run or is he pretty much like a statue back there? Maybe wt a pure pocket passer, you can use the dink pass to the RB or a screen, etc - which technically are passes but mainly rely on running ability of the back. Remember we will also get DPE back next year. He should figure heavily in the run production from his WR spot - I see sweeps, reverses in the cards wt him back on the field. We forget how much he could have contributed to this team - perhaps a win or 2 for sure and less reliance on TA's arm.

I don't think too many guys at 18-22 are going to be a version of 38 year old Peyton Manning camping out in the pocket. Even Blaine Gabbert was mobile. They're 18-20 years old, they aren't statues. They can all scramble, and it's a lot easier to do so when the D has to respect your arm.

Blaine Gabbert mobile? Sorta I guess, in the same way a Mack truck is mobile....heh

I'm not trying to imply he wasn't, he just had what I would call a lumbering gait.

Blaine Gabbert: 4.62

Cam Newton: 4.59

I for one am all for a pure passer who can distribute the ball effectively to the other play makers. We have good receivers, tight ends and RBs. What hurt us wasn't TA dual threat as a running QB but his threat (to US!) in the passing game. If we can challenge the D wt our other skill players in the run game + have an efficient QB - this O will be difficult to stop especially if we get the OL muscled up and give them the goal of being pancake makers instead of 'finesse' blockers .

POB is pretty mobile. Several hundred rushing yards and double-digit rushing TDs the last two years.

• Fire 1

Stanford was 77th in the country this year in passing... that's not what a lot of fans (and apparently this staff) want to be.

What I don't understand is why some have an aversion to a mobile QB.

I like mobile QBs, but if this staff insists on recruiting pro-style QBs, Stanford would be the pattern to follow. They have done better passing in the past. Stanford and Nebraska in the 90s followed the "Its not how much you pass, its how effective you are when you pass" concept

I'm not trying to imply he wasn't, he just had what I would call a lumbering gait.

He had a game tying 44 yard TD run against the Bears this year....then again it is the Bears

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000595202/49ers-Blaine-Gabbert-scrambles-for-44-yard-TD-to-tie-game

Blaine Gabbert: 4.62

Cam Newton: 4.59

Why do you confuse the issue with facts???? :lol:

He had a game tying 44 yard TD run against the Bears this year....then again it is the Bears

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000595202/49ers-Blaine-Gabbert-scrambles-for-44-yard-TD-to-tie-game

Gabbert had a 4:62 forty at the NFL combine. That's not bad for an QB. A better example of a lumbering QB might be Tom Brady. Or if you want to go back farther for a better example, Bernie Kosar. Those guys were/are slow. :lol:

=====================================

Anyway, back on topic about Riley and the Husker running game I think people read the title of the article in the OP, but don't go on to read the article itself. And they sell our coaches a bit short. It's not like Riley and Langsdorf just now discovered the running game. They chose to run the ball on UCLA because our OL could push their DL around. Something we couldn't do against most of the B1G teams we played. The article says as much.

I'll bet they would have liked to run this much back in October and November. But the B1G teams we faced all have better DLs than UCLA. Well, maybe not Purdue. But we faced four of the top 13 rushing defenses in the country this year. Wisconin #4, Northwestern #13, Mich St. #9 and Iowa #11. If we had run the ball 62 times against any of those teams we would have gotten stuffed at the line.

• Fire 3

We don't get to pick that.

This line of thinking drives me nuts! In what game this year did we stick with the running game long enough to know if we could run against a team? The foundation of our offense needs to be a strong run game. At least 60/40 run pass ratio. I personally would prefer closer to 70/30. Not saying we don't need to throw the ball but we need to be 100% committed to running the ball. Not this only when we think we can crap.

This line of thinking drives me nuts! In what game this year did we stick with the running game long enough to know if we could run against a team? The foundation of our offense needs to be a strong run game. At least 60/40 run pass ratio. I personally would prefer closer to 70/30. Not saying we don't need to throw the ball but we need to be 100% committed to running the ball. Not this only when we think we can crap.

We tried to run against Northwestern and it just wasn't happening. I do think part of the failures this season could be attributed to a lack of commitment to the run game when it could've helped us, but we were also pretty woeful at times trying to block.