Bowl game makes Riley believe in the run....

Teams who are also championship teams also have better records, meaning they've won more games, meaning they've ran the ball more towards the end of the game to run down the clock.

Just keep that in mind. They're still probably more run-oriented than pass-oriented, still.

Good point. A more telling stat would be how much a team runs the ball in the first half whey they're not trying to run the clock down (more running) or play catch up (more passing).

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that running the ball successfully is the way to win football games. Saying it and doing it is two different things. The best teams can do it because they have the guys on the line that can move the D out long enough for the RB to gain yards and they do it consistently. We may have a few of those linemen right now and possibly a couple coming in this fall that will become that good. This season and probably not next season we don't have the ability to run against the better teams. I'll agree we should have done it more this year than we did. Would it be alright with some of you hardliners if our QB threw a pass occasionally to loosen up the defense till we get 7 or 8 high star linemen or is that a no-no?

• Fire 4

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that running the ball successfully is the way to win football games. Saying it and doing it is two different things. The best teams can do it because they have the guys on the line that can move the D out long enough for the RB to gain yards and they do it consistently. We may have a few of those linemen right now and possibly a couple coming in this fall that will become that good. This season and probably not next season we don't have the ability to run against the better teams. I'll agree we should have done it more this year than we did. Would it be alright with some of you hardliners if our QB threw a pass occasionally to loosen up the defense till we get 7 or 8 high star linemen or is that a no-no?

Nobody is saying this. What people are saying, is that throwing it 48 times with your backup QB on the road against a rush defense ranked in the 100's is a recipe for failure. We also showed more creativity in the run game against UCLA than any other game this season. Replicate that gameplan, and we win a couple more games at least.

• Fire 1

I loved the power game and offense we ran under TO. I loved watching opposing defenses absolutely dying in the fourth quarter from being physically pummeled all game.

One of my best friend in high school went to Fla St. He was a student trainer on the sidelines in the NC game we lost to the Seminoles. I forget who the stud linebacker was on that Fla St. Team but he and my friend were actually really close friends. My buddy said after the game that he told him he had never taken that much punishment in a game his entire life.

I would LOVE to be that again. But it's not going to happen. The college game is different in so many ways now. The parity now makes that kind of dominance very hard to achieve.

I just want to win and be relevant again. If that's via an all out Air Coryell type offense so be it.

I may not like this staff, but if they post wins, I will not ever sit here and bitch about how they get those wins from a style standpoint.

If they don't win however....

• Fire 2

People have been critical of Nebraska's practice style for years now. I'm sure we can find comments on here from 2013 (maybe even further back) talking about how the defense had poor tacklers because they weren't going full speed enough in practice and learning to take the proper angles.

Perhaps practice style is a concern, but has anyone ever asked the coaches or players about it? What exactly is missing from Nebraska's practice that other schools are doing to be 'physical'?

I don't know any specifics. I think some of it is just how football is now-a-days. I think a lot of the "we don't tackle in practice" is pretty common around the country and some people either don't realize this or simply want to have something to complain about over the last several years.

That being said, I don't remember DB making comments like this before but now he's brought it up several times this year. I get the impression that it's not just tackling but there is more to it. I'd like to know more of what he's talking about but I've never heard him elaborate.

Coaches who are "smart" dont spend their precious precious practice time "tackling" and "blocking". They spend it mentally, on formation shifts and talking...and talking...and talking. To the point the players are so worried/thinking about every footstep, hand placement, strongside/weakside, right leg/left hand...that they forget to run/hit/tackle/block/smash/catch/compete.

Going from good high school to big time college ball takes months of coaching and new technique. We all know that. But why, for the love of God, when u only get 20 hrs per week in season; please do the basics of football 101. Teach in the film room, unleash the beasts on the field. Tackle, block, run, catch, compete.

If a majority of time is spent on "mental reps", you're done. Get physical, get nasty, let em play.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bowl-makes-mike-riley-believer-power-run-nebraska-071128415--ncaaf.html

Hopefully this is true and they use the run a little more next season. You have to have a strong run game to be successful especially in the B1G, we've got that and hopefully this was a learning experience for the coaching staff. 2016 season here we come..... :thumbs

Well, on the upside, only took him 13 games...