LJS: State of the Huskers - Running Back

Mavric

Experienced returners: Terrell Newby, sr.; Devine Ozigbo, so.

Significant losses: Imani Cross, Andy Janovich.

Youth watch: Recruit Tre Bryant is a do-everything back from St. Louis who takes pride in the fact four or five of his first highlights on his Hudl film are of him blocking. "Because, at the next level, everybody can run the ball, so you have to work on the small things to take you out in front of the competition," Bryant said. He won't be here in the spring, but Ozigbo just showed that a freshman running back who shows up in the summer can find the field his first year if he pays attention to the details.

The conversation until spring ball is ... probably mostly about Ozigbo, who showed in the bowl game he may just be the front-runner after gaining 102 yards on 22 touches. Don't set aside the senior Newby in that discussion, either. He was slowed by an ankle injury late. But he could make a nice 1-2 combo with Ozigbo. There will also be questions — questions without answers for now — about whether Mikale Wilbon or Adam Taylor can get in the mix after little use at the position in 2015. And who replaces the beloved Janovich? Harrison Jordan, another head-buttin' in-state kid, could be next in line.

LJS

• Fire 1

Ozigbo has some lateral quickness and agility, outside of being a powerful runner. I really like him as a potential starter getting 20 carries a game to see what he can do.

Purely from a numbers standpoint, Wilbon and/or Taylor will almost assuredly see more PT in 2016. One of them could end up with 3-5 carries a game, potentially even more.

I think Ozigbo is special. We ran a screen pass to him in the second quarter against UCLA where he displayed the full package - Speed, agility, and a strong finish after contact.

I think we can really look a lot better on first down runs with a healthy, Senior Terrell Newby and a Sophmore Ozigbo. It's pretty exciting.

If we stick with Tommy (which is our best option, if we're all honest), our running backs could see even better results next year by having Tommy run more keepers. The bowl game showed this.

I feel much better about next season after that game. We were due for that kind of a good vibe.