Comparing Recruiting Classes

Another interesting part to your info is this.

From 2004 to 2008, we brought 100 players into the program.

From 2012 to 2015, we brought 86 players into the program.

That's 14 fewer scholarship players Nebraska coaches had a chance to work with.

Is that comparing 5 classes to 4?

I added 20, 32, 22 and 26 to get 100

I added 17, 24,24, and 21 to get 86

Sorry, the earlier dates should be 2004 to 2007.

I will correct that.

"Nebraska played with just 44 active scholarship players from the previous three recruiting classes, a paltry total compared to its major-conference peers."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/bigten/2016/01/06/nebraska-football-coach-mike-riley-offseason/78344448/

I would not be surprised if Penn State has that many scholarship players even after their big Sandusky/Paterno scandal penalties. This is not good. We obviously are lacking in numbers of good player as well as players with exceptional skills.

That would rank this class anywhere from 6th to 3rd when looking at our classes since 2002. Pretty much in line with the last three years.

Now...as has been pointed out, the real crux of it is, how many of our top recruits will we be able to keep and have contribute. That is going to be the difference maker.

For the people who act like they are in panic mode as far as recruiting.....we are far from that situation.

On pure talent level of what is coming in, yes I agree MR is doing better than some perceive, however IMO a lot of how to rate recruiting is to also evaluate the ability to fill needs with impact athletes and maintain proper depth and roster balance. MR inherited a roster with some gaps and lack of difference makers at certain spots, though the team overall has a lot of talent on it. This team needs OTs and DEs in the worst way and I just don't feel real comfortable right now where this staff stands in landing difference making talent at both positions. They seem to have better prospects at OT lately, but DE still seems a mystery to me. If they fill the class and get a great rating, but don't sufficiently fill the needs of the roster then I would struggle to give them a good grade.

That would rank this class anywhere from 6th to 3rd when looking at our classes since 2002. Pretty much in line with the last three years.

Now...as has been pointed out, the real crux of it is, how many of our top recruits will we be able to keep and have contribute. That is going to be the difference maker.

For the people who act like they are in panic mode as far as recruiting.....we are far from that situation.

On pure talent level of what is coming in, yes I agree MR is doing better than some perceive, however IMO a lot of how to rate recruiting is to also evaluate the ability to fill needs with impact athletes and maintain proper depth and roster balance. MR inherited a roster with some gaps and lack of difference makers at certain spots, though the team overall has a lot of talent on it. This team needs OTs and DEs in the worst way and I just don't feel real comfortable right now where this staff stands in landing difference making talent at both positions. They seem to have better prospects at OT lately, but DE still seems a mystery to me. If they fill the class and get a great rating, but don't sufficiently fill the needs of the roster then I would struggle to give them a good grade.

Valid point. Balance on the roster is important.

If they have good talent in the class but miss on those two areas then I would agree to not give them an A. But, I would still give them a decent grade.

We'll see how it ends up. If Farniok comes in at tackle and we get someone like Ivey who can come in as a JUCO at DE......I'l feel better.

FYI...this is from what I posted in a different thread.

Class Average player rating # of recruits

05 .8523 31

06 .8493 22

07 .8241

08 .7903

09 .7883

10 .7801

11 .8832 21

12 .8674 18

13 .8334

14 .8472 25

15 .8170

16 .8702 (So far) 15

So...if we end up with an average of .8743, we would have second highest rating from the last 11 years.

Now, I know there is a ton more that goes into if this ends up a good class. Everything has to work right from...a) did we get players in positions of need? b) are they going to come here and work their azzes off? c) Do we have the coaches in place to make them winners. and on and on and on....

I edited to put in class size. I was looking at 247 and realized that for some reason some classes have some walk-ons listed and some don't. Not sure why

Where did you pull these numbers? I want to check something out.

I noticed on rivals a while back that the point system totally shifted over the years so that you couldn't really run valid comparisons.

I'd like to see if the overall average scores have increased across the board.

Then again, this teen beat crap of monetizing the next hot teenager during the offseason is basically worthless to begin with, so I may not bother.

• Fire 1

The fact we can't win a conference championship with the recruiting classes of 11-12-13 is ridiculous. Screw championship. SEVEN GAMES. We can't win 7 games with 24 four star players walking in the door in a three year span?

2011 4* No Longer with the Team

Bubba Starling (Baseball)

Todd Peat (transfer)

Ryan Klachko (transfer)

Tyler Moore (transfer)

Daimion Stafford (graduated)

Aaron Green (transfer)

Jamal Turner (graduated)

Ryne Reeves (graduated)

2012 4* No Longer with the Team

Imani Cross (graduated)

Jared Afalava (transfer)

Mo Seisay (graduated)

2013 4* No Longer with the Team

Randy Gregory (NFL)

Johnny Stanton (transfer)

Out of nine 4*'s in 2011...1 didn't play (Bubba), 4 transferred and 3 contributed and graduated. 1 is still with the team (Charles Jackson)

Out of eight 4*s in 2012...2 contributed and graduated, 1 transferred. 5 are still with the team (Thurston, McMullen, Westerkamp, Rose, Armstrong)

Out of seven 4*'s in 2013...1 transferred, 1 left for the NFL. 5 are still with the team (T. Newby, Taylor, Banderas, M. Newby, Natter)

That leaves us with 11 out of 24 that can contribute this next year.

Oddly enough, that number was only 14 out of 24 in 2015.

So, the 2011 class was probably the biggest bust in the history of Nebraska recruiting...because everyone left. You can't build around a core of athletes you don't have.

50% contribution rates aren't necessarily awful. But I agree that the class took a big hit. But worst in school history? Uh, do you recall 2005?

• Fire 1

FYI...this is from what I posted in a different thread.

Class Average player rating # of recruits

05 .8523 31

06 .8493 22

07 .8241

08 .7903

09 .7883

10 .7801

11 .8832 21

12 .8674 18

13 .8334

14 .8472 25

15 .8170

16 .8702 (So far) 15

So...if we end up with an average of .8743, we would have second highest rating from the last 11 years.

Now, I know there is a ton more that goes into if this ends up a good class. Everything has to work right from...a) did we get players in positions of need? b) are they going to come here and work their azzes off? c) Do we have the coaches in place to make them winners. and on and on and on....

I edited to put in class size. I was looking at 247 and realized that for some reason some classes have some walk-ons listed and some don't. Not sure why

Where did you pull these numbers? I want to check something out.

I noticed on rivals a while back that the point system totally shifted over the years so that you couldn't really run valid comparisons.

I'd like to see if the overall average scores have increased across the board.

Then again, this teen beat crap of monetizing the next hot teenager during the offseason is basically worthless to begin with, so I may not bother.

247 composite.

Peep's recruiting was horrendous.

POB will single handidly earn more post season honors than all 4*s from '11 combined at NU.

Thanks for the data acq work gentlemen.

Or he'll be a hackenburg type, or worse, a Harrison beck type.

But way to trash our players. You're all class.

While I don't agree with him that our recruiting has been bad the last three years, how exactly did he trash our players in a way that is classless?

Peep's recruiting was horrendous.

POB will single handidly earn more post season honors than all 4*s from '11 combined at NU.

Thanks for the data acq work gentlemen.

Or he'll be a hackenburg type, or worse, a Harrison beck type.

But way to trash our players. You're all class.

While I don't agree with him that our recruiting has been bad the last three years, how exactly did he trash our players in a way that is classless?

What does it mean to say a coach's recruiting is atrocious other than that the players he brought in are terrible?

• Fire 1

Ummm no. You're made up outrage is ridiculous.

That could mean a lot of things from roster mismanagement in recruiting to leaving certain positions thin on players. You can say our recruiting needs to improve without insulting the current players.

And. Our players wear big boy pants. It's ok to talk about the team and where they need to improve.

Ummm no. You're made up outrage is ridiculous.

That could mean a lot of things from roster mismanagement in recruiting to leaving certain positions thin on players. You can say our recruiting needs to improve without insulting the current players.

And. Our players wear big boy pants. It's ok to talk about the team and where they need to improve.

You don't seem to see the difference between "this is atrocious" and "this can be improved in areas." And that's baffling.

Though your big boy pants deflection indicates that you actually might.

• Fire 1
  • 2 weeks later...