Comparing Recruiting Classes

Updated as of right now. With Fitzpatrick and Jackson this class would go to .8747. With those two plus Simmons it would go to .8755. All three are four-stars.

Class Average Recruits (# 4*+)
02 .8316 18 (2)
03 .8316 19 (2)
04 .8237 20 (2)
05* .8523 32 (7)
06* .8493 22 (5)
07* .8587 26 (6)
08 .8449 29 (3)
09 .8580 19 (2)
10* .8642 20 (5)
11 .8832 21 (9)
12 .8773 17 (8)
13 .8654 24 (7)
14 .8601 24 (2)
15 .8616 21 (4)
16 .8707 21 (5)

* 2005 - Leon Jackson isn't on 247's list but was a 4* on Rivals
* 2006 - Major Culbert doesn't show a rating on 247 but was a high 3* on Rivals
* 2007 - Armando Murillo (JUCO) not included in 247's list
* 2010 - Stanley Jean-Baptiste and Chase Harper (JUCOs) not included in 247's rankings

Edited by Mavric
Updated with Jackson and Engelhaupt

Threw this together based on 247's ratings (tried doing it with Rivals and Scout, too, but it seemed their websites broke down a bit once you got further back than four or five years. If anyone has their rankings going back to 2001, feel free to share them and I will update the chart).

You can't really determine a trend line with only two data points, but at least it so far looks like we're moving the right direction with Riley.

post-13271-0-25931200-1454615875_thumb.png

Edited by Mavric
Moved from the 2017 thread as it fits better here and will be easier to find later.
  • Fire 3

Threw this together based on 247's ratings (tried doing it with Rivals and Scout, too, but it seemed their websites broke down a bit once you got further back than four or five years. If anyone has their rankings going back to 2001, feel free to share them and I will update the chart).

You can't really determine a trend line with only two data points, but at least it so far looks like we're moving the right direction with Riley.

post-13271-0-25931200-1454615875.png

Nice work on that. Moved it to a thread where I think it fits a little better.

I think the trend line is basically flat at about 25. Callahan gets a lot of credit for the one good class but that was mostly quantity, not necessarily quality. Pelini's 2009 class definitely wasn't great but I think ended up better than it looked on Signing Day - Burkhead, Martinez, Sirles, Gomes, Qvale and Spencer Long were top notch plus Ankrah, Randle and Martin. Not very deep but not too shabby for a "worst" class.

Most everything else is 20-30. The 2011 class definitely had talent but not a lot of it helped the Huskers. And it's balanced out by the 2014 class that was low-rated but seems to be well out-performing their ratings (Gates, Wilbon, Akinmoladun, DPE, Kalu, Cockrell, Chris Jones, Drew Brown already plus Farmer, Foster, Gifford, Stoltenberg and King with possibilities).

post-13271-0-25931200-1454615875.png

Nice work on that. Moved it to a thread where I think it fits a little better.

I think the trend line is basically flat at about 25. Callahan gets a lot of credit for the one good class but that was mostly quantity, not necessarily quality. Pelini's 2009 class definitely wasn't great but I think ended up better than it looked on Signing Day - Burkhead, Martinez, Sirles, Gomes, Qvale and Spencer Long were top notch plus Ankrah, Randle and Martin. Not very deep but not too shabby for a "worst" class.

Most everything else is 20-30. The 2011 class definitely had talent but not a lot of it helped the Huskers. And it's balanced out by the 2014 class that was low-rated but seems to be well out-performing their ratings (Gates, Wilbon, Akinmoladun, DPE, Kalu, Cockrell, Chris Jones, Drew Brown already plus Farmer, Foster, Gifford, Stoltenberg and King with possibilities).

Yeah, probably overall, though I was actually just referring to Riley's trend line. Pelini's was clearly trending down. Callahan was, well, Callahan.

attachicon.gifNebraska-recruiting-class-rankings.png

Pelini's recruiting was as much a roller coaster ride as the rest of his tenure.

attachicon.gifNebraska-recruiting-class-rankings.png

Nice graph here.. Shows how it took Bo and company a couple years to figure out the recruiting style needed to get the big names.

Makes you feel a bit better to see what Riley can do right off the bat and build off the first season even with a losing record.

• 2 months later...

'17 class has 3 out of 4 recruits that are 4* guys, includes Gebbia. Off to a great start with this class! :)

That alone is more 4* recruits than most Pelini classes had holistically.

Hmm, not so sure about that. Bo usually pulled in 4-6 4*s per class, if I recall correctly. But we need to get more in the 8-10+ range per class if we want to regular compete with the Bigs. Perhaps this '17 class will achieve that.

'17 class has 3 out of 4 recruits that are 4* guys, includes Gebbia. Off to a great start with this class! :)

Hmm, not so sure about that. Bo usually pulled in 4-6 4*s per class, if I recall correctly. But we need to get more in the 8-10+ range per class if we want to regular compete with the Bigs. Perhaps this '17 class will achieve that.

You can probably live with 4-6 in a class if they actually pan out. That was part of Pelini's problem. A lot of the higher rated recruits he brought in didn't contribute, didn't make it to campus, or transferred out.

You can probably live with 4-6 in a class if they actually pan out. That was part of Pelini's problem. A lot of the higher rated recruits he brought in didn't contribute, didn't make it to campus, or transferred out.

Hmm, not sure, I think most of the 4* Bo recruits ended up contributing. There were probably more 3* guys that didn't pan out, just because there were way more 3* guys.

But we're going to need more than 4-6 4* per to compete. Sparty, for one, has been recruiting more 4* guys the last few classes, more in the preferred range.

https://michiganstate.n.rivals.com/commitments/football/2016

Hmm, not sure, I think most of the 4* Bo recruits ended up contributing. There were probably more 3* guys that didn't pan out, just because there were way more 3* guys.

But we're going to need more than 4-6 4* per to compete. Sparty, for one, has been recruiting more 4* guys the last few classes, more in the preferred range.

What I am saying is that you can LIVE at 4-6. Im not saying it's ideal.

But as far as Pelini and 4 star contribution according to 247:

2008: Josh Williams (1 of 3 4 star)

2009: Cody Green (1 of 2)

2010: Braylon Heard, Chase Rome (2 of 5). I will even let Andrew Rodriguez slide although he was underwhelming.

2011: Aaron Green, Jamal Turner, Charles Jackson, Bubba Starling, Tyler More, Todd Peat, Ryan Klachko (7 of 9)

2012: Jared Afalava (1 of 8) Paul Thurston is questionable.

2013: Adam Taylor, Johnny Stanton, AJ Natter (3 of 7) Although Natter is listed, for now on the 2 deep at DE.

2014: Tanner Farmer (1 of 2) It's too early and this could be 2 of 2

16 out of 36 four star recruits Pelini recruited according to 247 had no considerable contribution so far. And at best there will be 2 additional. So less than 50% to at most 50%.

• Fire 1

What I am saying is that you can LIVE at 4-6. Im not saying it's ideal.

But as far as Pelini and 4 star contribution according to 247:

2008: Josh Williams (1 of 3 4 star)

2009: Cody Green (1 of 2)

2010: Braylon Heard, Chase Rome (2 of 5). I will even let Andrew Rodriguez slide although he was underwhelming.

2011: Aaron Green, Jamal Turner, Charles Jackson, Bubba Starling, Tyler More, Todd Peat, Ryan Klachko (7 of 9)

2012: Jared Afalava (1 of 8) Paul Thurston is questionable.

2013: Adam Taylor, Johnny Stanton, AJ Natter (3 of 7) Although Natter is listed, for now on the 2 deep at DE.

2014: Tanner Farmer (1 of 2) It's too early and this could be 2 of 2

16 out of 36 four star recruits Pelini recruited according to 247 had no considerable contribution so far. And at best there will be 2 additional. So less than 50% to at most 50%.

Absolutely on point here. Let's assess Paul Thurston for example, I coached his cousin in pee wee ball, good athlete, but I digress. Thurston was a 4 star OL coming in. The problem with Thurston was that Pelini and cotton recruited for quantity. Sure he was a 4 star, but his physical attributes do not mesh with what they were trying to accomplish. Maybe they did not know what they wanted to accomplish. Thurston is a slender, speedy O-lineman, Oregon would have done wonders with some one like Thurston. Unfortunately, Thurston has not been able to be utilized because in the BIG, you need lineman that are beefy, and can withstand the more physical style of football played.