Favorite Travel Destinations

In the past couple of years, I've started traveling a fair as much as I have time and money for, and it's become my favorite thing to do.

What places have you been that you fell in love with?

What places are on your bucket list?

Personally, I went to Riviera Maya, Mexico last summer and absolutely loved it. Went zip lining through the jungle and snorkeling in underground rivers, plus went one night to Coco Bongo.

Also in May I went to Denver. We spent most of our time outside the city - I have a buddy who works as a white water guide, so did that for $10, then explored the mining towns in the mountains, and went south to the Garden of the Gods.

In June, I went with about 30 friends to Wisconsin Dells. Sounds silly, but we had an absolute blast! Rented out villas at Chula Vista for $50/person (6 ppl per villa).

After Christmas, my wife and I took a trip to Nashville. It was our first time there, and we had an amazing time. I'm typically a fan of seeing nature and God's creation over cities and such, but Nashville has a really small town feel to it, and everyone was extremely friendly. It's easily my favorite city I've been to so far.

I'd love to hear where everybody else has been.

I like visiting Chicago, mostly because of family. I've spent a lot of time in the west suburbs, and some in the city itself. Taste of Chicago is fun, Wrigleyville is fun, they have great museums & nature centers. The Brookfield zoo was fun when I was a kid, but I haven't been there in half of forever.

I lived in San Francisco for a couple of years. The Bay Area is a fantastic place to visit, tons to do. Just walking the Embarcadero is great, but I'd avoid Fisherman's Wharf. Go down to Monterrey, go up to wine country.

Favorite place to visit is Paris. It's a cliche, but it's one of the world's greatest cities. I've been twice and still haven't seen everything I've wanted to see. The people are great, despite what you've heard, and they like Americans (at least, that's been my experience).

• Fire 1

I love to travel and I get to for work. But, I wish I could do more with my wife so she can see some of the places I have seen.

I had week long meetings a few years ago in Park City, UT. Absolutely fell in love with the place and came home and told my wife I could retire there (if I have the money).

I have traveled to Puerto Rico a few times. Love the place and actually could move there. Caribbean atmosphere while still being in the US. Win win....again...as long as I have the money.

I love the mountains in the winter. Wouldn't mind spending a few winters there when I'm older working at a ski resort...etc.

I also recently traveled on Long Island. I have never had any desire to move there. However, this time, I had to get to Boston so, I drove east and then took the ferry over to New London. Absolutely fell in love with the east end of Long Island. NOT what I was expecting at all. I still wouldn't want to move there but I would love to take my wife there sometime.

I have always been drawn to Maine for some reason. Need to get there some time.

Also......Alaska. My wife and I actually thought bout moving there before we had kids. Still want to visit.

I want to go on a week long horse packing trip in the mountains of either Montana or Canada. Not seeing another person till we get back. Either fishing or hunting.

Outside the US bucket list....well...

Italy

France

London
Greece

Japan

Mediterranean Cruise would cover a lot

Russia

Would love to go skiing in the Swiss Alps

I have a lot of places I need to go.

I have to agree with knapplc about Chicago. Fantastic city to visit. I usually stay in Evanston (about 10 minutes from the Home Alone house, which is a cool thing to drive by). But, there are tons of great places to visit like the Field Museum and the Shedd, Navy Pier, tons of great restaurants, Wrigleyville... I mean the list goes on and on. If you do consider visiting there, look into something called a Go Chicago Card. You can purchase X number of locations to visit, based on however many people you have, and you get discounts on all of it. When I took my girlfriend there last year, we bought three attractions (Willis Tower, Field Museum and a city architecture tour) and saved like $40.

I'm going to Puerto Vallarta soon in Mexico, so when I get back, I'll pass along my thoughts :).

My wife and I went to Costa Rica a couple summers ago. Just southeast of Liberia on the Pacific coast. Had a blast, went ziplining, horseback riding, volcano sightseeing, visited a couple small towns. Its just a laid back easy going lifestyle that is the complete opposite of the American culture. If/when i'm close to retirement (30+ years), it will most likely be on a shortlist for us.

We also went to New Orleans last summer. It's not for everybody, but we had a good time. A couple swamp tours, checked out the old above ground cemeteries, and enjoyed Bourbon Street for the most part. The food down there is some of the best I've had, especially if you get away from the touristy stuff and find some hole-in-the-wall restaurants. Best part about New Orleans, you get to walk around anywhere with a drink in your hand. I dont know how many times I left the hotel with a drink in one hand, and a second stashed away in my pocket.

We also have a trip planned this coming June to Hawaii, and booked our tickets a couple days ago. I've got a buddy in the military down there so we will have room and board for free. We can't wait to hit up some hiking trails and eat some fresh sea food.

Hopefully a European trip planned in the next 5 or so years before the wife wants some little ones scurrying around.

I have to agree with knapplc about Chicago. Fantastic city to visit. I usually stay in Evanston (about 10 minutes from the Home Alone house, which is a cool thing to drive by). But, there are tons of great places to visit like the Field Museum and the Shedd, Navy Pier, tons of great restaurants, Wrigleyville... I mean the list goes on and on. If you do consider visiting there, look into something called a Go Chicago Card. You can purchase X number of locations to visit, based on however many people you have, and you get discounts on all of it. When I took my girlfriend there last year, we bought three attractions (Willis Tower, Field Museum and a city architecture tour) and saved like $40.

I'm going to Puerto Vallarta soon in Mexico, so when I get back, I'll pass along my thoughts :).

Chicago is one of my favorite cities. We have been there a lot. We went a couple years ago on a Cubs Destination weekend. Awesome.

Planning on going back this August with a bunch of Cardinal Fans to the Cubs Cardinals series.

In the past couple of years, I've started traveling a fair as much as I have time and money for, and it's become my favorite thing to do.

Personally, I went to Riviera Maya, Mexico last summer and absolutely loved it. Went zip lining through the jungle and snorkeling in underground rivers, plus went one night to Coco Bongo.

Also in May I went to Denver. We spent most of our time outside the city - I have a buddy who works as a white water guide, so did that for $10, then explored the mining towns in the mountains, and went south to the Garden of the Gods.

In June, I went with about 30 friends to Wisconsin Dells. Sounds silly, but we had an absolute blast! Rented out villas at Chula Vista for $50/person (6 ppl per villa).

After Christmas, my wife and I took a trip to Nashville. It was our first time there, and we had an amazing time. I'm typically a fan of seeing nature and God's creation over cities and such, but Nashville has a really small town feel to it, and everyone was extremely friendly. It's easily my favorite city I've been to so far.

I'm about to hit Nashville next month. What were some things that stood out for you that you did? Places to eat?

I like to gamble so I go to Las Vegas at least a couple times a year. My wife likes the shows so she doesn't mind going either.

Anywhere in Summit County, CO during the winter for skiing. I went to Copper Mountain the past two years and enjoyed it. This year we're going to Breckenridge and it'll be a holiday weekend so I'm sure it will be packed. Oh well, free condo at least.

New Orleans is fun too although I don't think I'll live if I keep going there.

Ive been in Germany and Austria a few times years ago visiting family, the views are awesome, lots of historic places to see. loved the castles.the food is first rate and one can get fat quick over there.

Cancun was fun in my younger days.i swam with black tip and grey sharks and saw some nekkid snorklers.laid over in London for a day and a half, planned, its a sh#t hole and im not sure what the smell was. f'ing brits. been lucky enuff to see a lot of the US but never Montana or Alaska. maybe next year. big cities annoy the sh#t out of me. nothing against the people, theres just to many of them.A motorsickle trip though the south west in winter would be epic. New Mexico and Arizona desert hiways on a old Harley sounds appealing.

Favorite places visited-

Killarney, Ireland - Scenery, the friendliest people I have ever met.

Nassau - Pirate lifestyle

Seattle - Food (greasy Dick's), roundabouts, Mt Rainer.

Vancouver - Nightlife

Red Lodge, MT - Scenery is fantastic.

Bucket List-

Sydney, Australia

Bora Bora

Dubai

I'm about to hit Nashville next month. What were some things that stood out for you that you did? Places to eat?

One really cool thing that stood out to me was the Gaylord Opryland Hotel by the Grand Ole Opry. Since it was right after Christmas, they had an enormous light display that was absolutely insane. Regardless, go there and check it out. Beautiful place.

The biggest draw for my wife and I was the live music scene. We did a tour on the first day with Joyride Nashville to see what there was to see, and locals give the best recommendations for where to go. Definitely hit the bars on Broadway Street. If you like older country music, Robert's Western World is a place that only has artists that sing music from the 70s or older.

There is an old manufacturing plant for Marathon Motors that shut down that they turned into a big mall. It's where Antique Archaeology store is located (if you watch the show "American Pickers").

If you like Micro-Brews, there are plenty of those around Nashville. The Yazoo Brewing Co is the most notorious of Nashville from what we saw, but I didn't like their beer at all. Corsair has a taproom in the Marathon Motors Mall that I absolutely loved! All high gravity beers (from 7% to almost 15%) that were very good.

We did a Whiskey distillery tour at Corsair Distillery on Merritt Ave. Lots of info, and we bought a couple barrels to bring back and use as end tables :)

Barbecue is also highly regarded in Nashville. The one I'd recommend: Peg Leg Porkers! DELICIOUS!

Lots to do. Make sure you visit for 4+ days so you can see a lot.

Denver Colorado- The scenery in the mountains is incredible. The downtown is also fantastic with decent restaurants, a nice theatre district and Coors field to take in a baseball game.

Saratoga Springs, NY - Very well kept historic downtown and large horse track. There is also some little known great Revolutionary/French Indian war historic sites nearby.

Amman, Jordan - The city itself was unremarkable, but it is a great leap off point for the massive amounts of awe inspiring historical sites in the area such as Mt Nebo (Moses), Jerash (Roman Empire city), Petra and others. Don't shave, and be sure to pucker your a**hole if you decide to go into the Dead Sea. The salt density is beyond anything imaginable which I really underestimated.

Bucket List:

Ireland

Scotland

Chicago is one of my favorite cities. We have been there a lot. We went a couple years ago on a Cubs Destination weekend. Awesome.

Planning on going back this August with a bunch of Cardinal Fans to the Cubs Cardinals series.

Nice! I try to get up to Chicago for at least one Cubs game every season.

I'm always looking for new restaurants to try when I go, so if you have any suggestions, float them my way. That always seems to be the hardest thing to decide when I get up there is where to hell to eat. At least one meal is always dedicated to Lou Mal's (my personal favorite) and then there's an Italian tapas restaurant near the Portillo's downtown called Quartino's. Love that place.