Oversigning

“The early commitments and what it entails,” Harbaugh said. “It entails to keep getting better, to perform in the classroom, to perform on the field, to perform as a good citizen. Also, part of that process is to let them know, you need to keep your grade point up. You need to re-take a test. You need to play better on the field. Certainly never includes somebody who is injured. That’s something that is out their control."

Adding: “Will continue to do a good job of letting them know where they are at, being honest.”
Furhtermore, Harabugh says he explains to each early commitment that his scholarship could be taken if he doesn’t meet his requirements.
“Yes, that’s what we do, that’s we have done, that’s what we will continue to do,” Harbaugh said.

Link

There's nothing wrong with Harbaughs approach per se, but there must be a cut off time after which Michigan would honor the offer.

I'll keep banging this drum: recruitnik revenue be damned, make offers and acceptances real.

Because, what Harbaugh is essentially saying is that he doesn't make "Commitable" offers up until signing day.

How much would it help the Second Tier recruiters of the world to tell a kid "here's a rea offer" while they are sitting on a "non-Commitable" offer?

A ton, I think.

That's kind of laughable. "I'm going to offer you now. I'll accept your commitment now. But, if you show huge improvement from today going forward, I'll pull it down the road."

Orrrrrrrr, Jimmy, you play the game like everyone else. It's called talent evaluation. Make your evaluations and stick to them. Most programs hold off on an offer if they aren't sure. We didn't offer Collin Miller until he put on enough weight and demonstrated in his senior season he was worth one. Much better than offering early, seeing the reverse, and then pulling it.

Harbaugh is taking the easy way out