Valentine declares for the draft

The school can pay for them, too.

I did not know that. That's not considered an impermissible benefit?

No, the NCAA allows the schools to have an amount of funds that can be used to pay for insurance policy on the kids. I'm not sure on the amount that can be used, and the maximum insurance policy that can be purchased. I also think the player has to be projected within the top 1-2 rounds to be eligible to get this benefit from the school.

EDIT: Here is a link with the program description from the NCAA. http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/insurance/student-athlete-insurance-programs

• Fire 3

Cold hard reality...

A player must go pro if there is any chance of success or money to be had for that player in pro football.

Injuries are a big part of college football and if they return to college and get permanently injured... there will be no success or money as a player in pro football... for that player... ever.

I agree. However, there have been players who have taken out very large insurance policies for this purpose.

Not sure on that. They can pay the premium but I think ? the player is responsible for re-paying the premium out of their salary if they are drafted or according to the quote below even if they're not... which may be substantial.

"The student-athlete is obligated to repay the loan in full when any of the following occurs: (1) the student-athlete signs a professional contract, (2) the disability benefits become available due to a covered injury or sickness or (3) the coverage is no longer in effect and the loan note matures."

I did not know that. That's not considered an impermissible benefit?

No, the NCAA allows the schools to have an amount of funds that can be used to pay for insurance policy on the kids. I'm not sure on the amount that can be used, and the maximum insurance policy that can be purchased. I also think the player has to be projected within the top 1-2 rounds to be eligible to get this benefit from the school.

EDIT: Here is a link with the program description from the NCAA. http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/insurance/student-athlete-insurance-progr

There are many insurance co loopholes about "prior" injuries and "other" factors to make it a viable choice for most players. The NCAA recommends only players who will be in the top 10 players in their draft should buy the "loss of value" insurance.

VV may be a perfect example. HIs prior injuries may be an important factor... and an insurance co could use his prior injuries against him by saying that they contributed to any career ending injuries. VERY COMPLICATED !

Cold hard reality...

A player must go pro if there is any chance of success or money to be had for that player in pro football.

Injuries are a big part of college football and if they return to college and get permanently injured... there will be no success or money as a player in pro football... for that player... ever.

I agree. However, there have been players who have taken out very large insurance policies for this purpose.

Correct. But Nebraska does not pay for that. They refused to do it for Ameer when he inquired.

• Fire 1

I think he is leaving only for the money. No reason to stay as some say. The reason you stay is because you are a team member, and want the best for your team. Some kids think that way others don't. I see no real loss by him going. He has not totally embraced the team or the staff it appears from his comments.

Next man up.

So, you've never left a job for a better opportunity elsewhere? I don't see how VV is being selfish, and what is wrong with leaving to the NFL to make money? People go to college in order to get a degree and make more money in the real world. VV has his degree and he is hoping to earn a lot of money in the NFL. I see nothing wrong with his decision.

That is if he makes a roster.

Here is what the end of a 1st round guy makes in a four year contract $6,767,002 with a signing bonus of $3,301,456

Here's a four year contract for someone selected in the 5th round $2,300,000 with a signing bonus of $140,000

Lets say he'd sneak up to the 15th pick in draft a four year contract of $9,424,712 with a signing bonus of $5,234,336

Well then, ifone of us who could have guaranteed Vincent Valentine that kind of draft in 2017 along with that kind of money we could no doubt have changed his decision.

There are those guys who doesn't get into Powerball until it goes over $300 million because that is what it would take to substantially improve their lifestyle :smokin ...and then there are those of us who would be perfectly happy bringing in a couple hundred thousand a year and wouldn't risk that for maybe a chance to make a lot more.

(For the record, I don't buy Powerball tickets at all. I am a sore loser when it comes to gambling. :steam )

I think the under classmen that declared early for the draft last year, was 87. Less than 40 were drafted, and a good sized number of the lower rounds may not make it.

The attitude today is different. That is why it bothers me. When we were a championship level team, kids stayed because they were part of the team, wanted the best for the team. I have no knowledge of whether VV was a real team member, liked or disliked the current staff. But he had a year to prove to the team he was a team player. I really do not care one way or another if he stays or leaves. That is his choice. But my guess is he has a very good chance of not being drafted..