Langsdorf on Patrick O'Brien

Mavric

“There hasn’t been a ton of really good stories about true freshmen playing if you look across the country,” Langsdorf said. “Mannion did do that for us — so it can be done — but that wasn’t his best year. I think it takes time. I think it’s a big transition.”

Which is why Armstrong making a big jump from Year One or Year Two in NU’s new offense would be a best-case scenario.
“Ideally, our guys who are on the team would continue to make improvements and play at a high level and give Patrick a chance to learn and grow in the system, to get some experience — but not force him into anything too early,” Langsdorf said. “That’s ideal.”
At the same time, Langsdorf won’t put limits on O’Brien’s goals.
“If he comes in, he learns very quickly and he’s the best guy, we would play him,” Langsdorf said. “We would play him. We would do that for sure. But we don’t want to force anything. We want to make sure his process isn’t rushed or overloaded. Having this extra spring will help him — it’ll show us where he’s at and have a chance, as we’re going forward, to make a decision if he’s going to be ready or not.”

OWH

• Fire 2

To me is sounds more like they are trying to prep the fans that if we decided to start POB then don't expect us to win a bunch of games while he figure out things his first year. If they think the skills are even 70% near what TA's are I'd guess we'll see POB in games as a back up early and have a good chance to see him as a starter by B10 play so we can develop for the 2017 season which will be the year the MR is on the chopping block. It think last year and this coming year were designed to be throw away years based on the things that our AD has said to Boosters. He's told them all year that the team was doing bad because they were too heavily influenced by the last staff and that next year could be much worse because the plan is to have a freshman QB to develop so MR can install his system. I hope we give the POB kid a year and TA can improve and we crank out a 8+ win season. I think that would help settle the fan base down some. And honestly I think next year as much hinges on if Ben McAdoo gets the job as the Giants head coach. If that happens there is a higher than likely chance Danny L goes back as the OC for them which sets back the offense some or at least stalls is.

Maybe I'm just being optimistic, but it seems to me that they are going to play whoever is better. POB may have better mechanics and be more accurate, but if Tommy knows the system better and can execute it better, Tommy should start.

That said, what an amazing story it would be if POB came in, got the system down, and lead us to the B1G championship... but again, I'm an optimist. :P

• Fire 1

Langs and MR don't have the luxury of waiting - If POB is the best - they will have to play him. Husker nation will have a hard time wt another 6-7 season. The way we ended the year and if the QB play improves (regardless of QB) we SHOULD based on schedule alone get back to the old standard of 9-4. Of course we should have been 10-3 this year based on schedule alone but we know how that went.

So if they end up deciding to redshirt POB, if Armstrong goes down late in the season, do you think they would pull the redshirt or play Fyfe or whoever is 2nd string?

If TA is the starter and goes down with an injury in November or later I would be shocked if they burn a redshirt for POB. The only way I can see that happening is if they felt they needed him to win a conference championship or something like that. If TA were to go down with a serious injury in September and POB had won the backup job then they probably pull the redshirt. An October injury is where it becomes a gray area, IMHO.