Proposed Recruiting Changes

From following tweets by Crabtree:

Proposal 2015-51-FBS would eliminate prohibitions on restrictions for electronic communications, meaning texting back. Expect this to pass.

Proposal 2015-52-FBS would allow schools to pay for round-trip costs for two PSAs parents/guardians on official visits. Should pass, too.

#ACC proposed 2015-59-FBS where institution's camp must be held on campus or at facilities regularly used by program. No satellite camps.

#SEC proposed 2015-60-FBS, where a coach may be only employed only at his institutions camp. Would eliminate guest coaching at other camps.

Camp proposals will be the ones that get debated by leadership the most, especially with non-P5 programs and those that run satellite camps.

An early signing period won’t be coming to college football any time soon, but a series of new recruiting rules might be.

Tuesday at the American Football Coaches Association convention in San Antonio, the NCAA revealed 12 news proposals that would dramatically alter the way coaches interact with recruits, and how institutions conduct their summer camps.

Based on feedback provided to the Division I Football Oversight Committee, some of the proposals are expected to pass without issue. Proposal 2015-51-FBS is an example of that. That proposal would eliminate restrictions on electronic communications between coaches and recruits, essentially meaning text messaging would be back in football recruiting. Another that likely won’t receive any pushback is a rule that would allow schools to pay for round-trip costs for two prospective-student athletes’ parents/guardians on official visits.

Each football playing conference will vote on the proposals in April meetings, and it would a take two-thirds vote for them to formally pass and become the law of the land on the recruiting trail.

ESPN

Eh, satellite camps are fine as long as everyone is allowed to do em. Its better for the athletes looking for scholarships IMO.

Sure they are fine. But, the SEC and ACC don't like them because they allow Big Ten teams to hold camps in their territory.

I understand that completely. Which is why they are the ones pushing it. I'm just saying the easy rebuttal is stating it allows student athletes a better opportunity to gain a scholarship they may otherwise miss out on.

Eh, satellite camps are fine as long as everyone is allowed to do em. Its better for the athletes looking for scholarships IMO.

Sure they are fine. But, the SEC and ACC don't like them because they allow Big Ten teams to hold camps in their territory.

I understand that completely. Which is why they are the ones pushing it. I'm just saying the easy rebuttal is stating it allows student athletes a better opportunity to gain a scholarship they may otherwise miss out on.

yep

Argue that it's best for the student athlete.

yep

Argue that it's best for the student athlete.

Which it is IMO and I don't see how they could argue otherwise

I would say allowing NU to pay for parents' travel to visits is GREAT news and really helps. This alone could change the recruiting dramatically to help us. The schools in the middle of TX, CA and FL of course have easy travel for the parents but now this will allow us to compete more favorably for the kids in the big recruiting states. A great step forward in my view.

I am not sure the texting is a good idea, but likely means not much anyway. The only thing I would say is that I think they should have a rule against negative recruiting via phone, text, letter, etc. Schools should not comment or otherwise put down any other school, coache or otherwise. Speak only of your own school and nobody else. Period.

I would say allowing NU to pay for parents' travel to visits is GREAT news and really helps. This alone could change the recruiting dramatically to help us. The schools in the middle of TX, CA and FL of course have easy travel for the parents but now this will allow us to compete more favorably for the kids in the big recruiting states. A great step forward in my view.

Probably would be the most beneficial provision they've got on the table. There's an invaluable asset in Mom and/or Dad seeing Lincoln in person versus videos and word of mouth.