Riley vs. Harbaugh Recruiting: A Parent Chimes In

Proof is in the pudding. Harbaugh is killing it on the recruiting trail. This article is just...I'm not even sure what. Overreaching fake optimism as the result of sour grapes on the part of a Nebraska beat writer/fan?

Yeah, I really didn't get what the point was...that two coaches have different personalities? No kidding...

I think they were trying to do a bit of the "slow and steady" tortoise wins the race...fact of the matter is we would all need to be changing our pants if we had Michigan's class.

Milk drinking, a selfie with a recruit (taken by the recruit) and something about a tree climb? When he shows up in a mink coat with two girls on each arm, talk to me. Otherwise, no one who is a fan of husker history will see this as anything but much ado about nothing.

It's not clear from the article that Harbaugh doesn't "sell the engine specs."

By the way, besides Brandon's regular dose of unsubstantiated speculations, this article needs some "finishing touches" from an editor. For example:

Apparently, none of that is Riley’s style. According to a parent closely involved in the recruitment of a current Nebraska Cornhusker, who requested their identity be kept anonymous, his act got old quickly.

Makes it sound like Riley's act gets old.

All in all, this appears to be nothing more than an article designed to shape a narrative. I guarantee if Harbaugh wins the B10 next year, no one will be calling him a goof ball. By the way, Dabo Sweeny is easily one of the goofiest" guys out there, if we want to make a list and evaluate whether that "style" matters. Really, recruiting is about authenticity, and if that's authentic behavior from each coach, more power to them.

• Fire 2

Proof is in the pudding. Harbaugh is killing it on the recruiting trail. This article is just...I'm not even sure what. Overreaching fake optimism as the result of sour grapes on the part of a Nebraska beat writer/fan?

Yeah, I really didn't get what the point was...that two coaches have different personalities? No kidding...

I think they were trying to do a bit of the "slow and steady" tortoise wins the race...fact of the matter is we would all need to be changing our pants if we had Michigan's class.

You know what would be fascinating to me? A full analysis showing how individual players rankings shift as they join classes under a coach/program (on a rolling average). It would be an enormous amount of data, but I think it would go along way in revealing biases and showing that recruiting is often more perception than reality. I.e., a class "gains momentum" with a couple of key pick ups or because they have a "recruiting guru" join the staff, and the other recruits' rankings sort of ride those coattails up: "Jimbo committed to the current 10th ranked team? Wow, then Jimbo must be better than we thought... let's give him a little bump and keep that team sitting at 10th)

Living in the Bay Area and consuming the local sports media during Harbaugh's tenure at both Stanford and the Niners, the conventional wisdom is that everybody is right about Jim Harbaugh.

He's a brilliant coach whose act wears thin. He will turn your program around while making himself hard to like. He moves on (or is pushed) before it catches up with him.

But Michigan will be tough to beat the next three years.

Side note: if you don't like lightly researched off-season speculation written with a Nebraska spin, maybe we should all take a few months off HuskerBoard and check back in early April for the Spring Game.

• Fire 2

I don't mind his articles but if sports writers want our attention then can we have a special sub forum for this? we don't need a bunch of article related threads cluttering up the football board.

With respects tot he article I do like it, some minor grammatical errors though.

IF Brandon can make his articles longer with more inside info like this I think he will get a nice following.