Riley vs. Harbaugh Recruiting: A Parent Chimes In

Harbaugh's various recruiting tactics and zanyness makes national waves -- with no shortage of head-shaking.

"No shortage of head-shaking"...........? This piece by Cavanaugh doesn't count as a "lot" of head-shaking.

Teddy Greenstein (might have got the name wrong) from Chicago has commented on Harbaugh's antics, as has national writer Stewart Mandel. I'm sure there are more.
  • Fire 1

So a guy who does what ever it takes has the #3 recruiting class in the country and thats a bad thing? If a HC at NU did that we'd think it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Parents don't like it? I guarantee if Michicken wants them (their kids) other schools do as well.........

Who cares. Winning is the best thing we can do to help recruiting IMO.

I will call B.S on this. a majority of Nebraska fans are so conservative and uptight that they wouldn't put up with it. If an article came out saying that our coaches were acting like an 18yr. old kid while try to get a kid to commit, the fans would get all uptight about it.

• Fire 1

It’ll be interesting to see how long these shenanigans continue. If Michigan gets stuck in neutral a few seasons down the road, even jumping through flaming hoops may not get Harbaugh off of the hot seat.

lol

Michigan's class is ranked 3rd in the country (2nd in the B1G). Nebraska is 32nd in the country (6th in the B1G) behind football powerhouses like Duke and Kentucky.

Ya, and things will never change.......

Harbaugh's various recruiting tactics and zanyness makes national waves -- with no shortage of head-shaking.

"No shortage of head-shaking"...........? This piece by Cavanaugh doesn't count as a "lot" of head-shaking.

Teddy Greenstein (might have got the name wrong) from Chicago has commented on Harbaugh's antics, as has national writer Stewart Mandel. I'm sure there are more.

Up to 3......which is about where Harbaugh's recruiting class is ranked.

So a guy who does what ever it takes has the #3 recruiting class in the country and thats a bad thing? If a HC at NU did that we'd think it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Parents don't like it? I guarantee if Michicken wants them (their kids) other schools do as well.........

Tell me you forgot the sarcasm emoji. Doing whatever it takes to get a high ranking? Well, hell, just break out the cash and chicks and call us SMU.

Difference is Michigan will be in the College Football Playoff talk next year.

Nebraska might get into that discussion in 2-3 years.

With the news that keeps surfacing about former UM commits being shown the door a week before NSD, Harbaugh better be in the playoff talk next year because that might be his best shot. It won't take long for players to second guess a coach's loyalty or word. I know it's business, but it leaves a bad taste in a kid's mouth and more importantly, a parent's mouth. Just as coaches can negatively recruit a 5-7 season, a coach's ethics, or lack there of, isn't seen in high regards. And the age old argument of it happens everywhere might be true, but the amount of UM kids publicly stating this is a bit shocking.

Nebraska might get into won't be in that discussion in 2-3 years.

Sorry but I had to fix that one for you. Also can you give this guy his own little thread? If he's going to keep pedaling his blog at least keep it in one place.

• Fire 2

Harbaugh is exactly playing the role of an overgrown child. Schools go nuts over recruits, including UNL -- when they send them a hundred letters at once, for example. I'm sure he will impress a lot of people this way; I'm a bit more skeptical of what appears to be a vast gulf in his cuddly treatment of players as recruits, and the icy cold with which he'll release them a couple years later to make room for more.

Harbaugh is over the top and always has been. When he was hired, a lot of people pointed out that for all his success, his act appears to have worn thin at his various stops. He has a good first year -- so did Brady Hoke -- and Nebraska had a bad one, but now we need to admire everything he does?

It's OK to look at this ridiculousness and see it for what it is. Hey, maybe it'll work out great -- but even if it does, I greatly appreciate Riley's more conventional style instead. Riley should be fantastic for good, substantive, honest conversations, and the contrast in style couldn't be more stark. I'm glad Nebraska is on this side of the gradient.

You can dismiss or disagree with the views of a recruit's parents but it was cool to actually hear a take from someone who's gone through the process.

Unfortunately this side of the gradient is suckin the hind " teet " as compared to harbaugh and more than likely will stay that way as long as he is there. Tell it like it is, the guy gets it done big time. I envy that alot!

No, no they won't. They'll continue to be Ohio St and Michigan St.'s little brother, and Harbaugh will get sick of it in about 2 years and run back to the NFL.

I could see that happening...

But he basically had MSU beat this year if not for one of the freakiest plays ever.

• Fire 1

Tell me you forgot the sarcasm emoji. Doing whatever it takes to get a high ranking? Well, hell, just break out the cash and chicks and call us SMU.

Whats he done that's illegal? No different than Franklin and his satellite camps. IIRC, Harbaugh is trying to have part of Michigan's spring camp at IMG academy in Florida.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/1/10/10747118/jim-harbaugh-michigan-spring-practice-img-academy-florida-satellite-camps

No different than "McShane owning twitter". No different than Oregon and their different uniforms each week. In this day and age, coaches are doing everything to bridge the gap with the kids (18 year olds) and connect.

He is doing whatever it takes to relate to the kids. I haven't heard anything illegal, immoral or dishonest.

I stand by my original comments that if NU was doing this, and we had a top 3 class, I can't imagine any complaining.

• Fire 3

Up to 3......which is about where Harbaugh's recruiting class is ranked.

Are you sure Nebraska is the right school for you?

• Fire 2