Signed - TE David Engelhaupt

seaofred92

Will we be mad at him for breaking his commitment this close to signing day?

Unless he made Wyoming cancel other official visitor options and then left after the school had the opportunity to bring in another TE visitor than no

You think he gave them any indication that they should be looking to replace a guy who's been committed for 7 months?

He never had an option before now. Not really a fair comparison

Yeah.... I think the only difference is which side of the coin we're on.

Don't get me wrong, he's absolutely screwing Wyoming if he leaves and comes here. Nobody is denying that. But these scenarios aren't as comparable as you're making them out to be. I think this situation compares much more to Simmons' situation than Fitzpatricks. People are upset about Simmons but nobody blames him for taking an offer from Clemson at this point. Dez told our coaches this meant "nothing" and he was taking a free trip which led to us cancelling an OV from someone else, and went to freakin Louisville, after he has had the opportunity to OV there for the past however many months with a commitable offer. This kid got an offer yesterday. They're different situations.

So, to you, a kid who isn't committed to us choosing to to somewhere else is closer to a kid committed elsewhere flipping to us that a kid committed to us flipping elsewhere.

Interesting logical leap that is.

The scenarios of what has played out is definitely closer. Simmons got a LATE offer from Clemson- nobody blames him for looking at it because 1. Clemson is a better program right now and 2. because of the timing of receiving his offer. That's why I'm saying it's closer to Engelhaupt's situation (where he received a late offer from a program clearly better than the one he had been looking at attending) than Fitzpatrick's. Fitz has known he could commit to Louisville at any point in time and yet scheduled his OV as the last weekend before the dead period/signing day and then went back on his commitment.

Someone earlier said it perfectly. If you were committed to work for a TV station in Omaha for 4 months and then right before you signed your contract with them ESPN offered you, could they really blame you if you went to ESPN? (Engelhaupt situation)

Likewise, is this situation worse? You have an opportunity to work for NBC Sports Network (Louisville) and then ESPN (Nebraska) calls you. You tell ESPN you're going to work for them and not to offer/pursue any other candidates for the position, so they tell their other prospective candidates "thanks but we're going in a different direction" (Lipscomb). But then you back out at the last minute after they've told all their other candidates no and go work for NBC Sports Network instead. (Fitzpatrick)

Do those situations sound the same? If so we might just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Signing a contract? I thought it was about "giving your word" ha

Look...Here are the things I believe in 100%

1. Everyone will look around at better "jobs"

2. Everyone at some point will look out for themselves first and not the "company"

3. Everyone lies on their resumes (this is just an added bonus)

This cat...just like everyone else...needs to do what is best for him...no matter what we think about it

• Fire 1

Two were committed and one was not. You keep trying to gloss over that part. Even your analogies do not match this situation. You're mistaking your justifying one situation for it not being the same. Simmons has no commitment to break. That is what you are blaming Fitzpatrick for doing.

But you are free to think whatever you want.

I'm not blaming Engelhaupt. I hope he flips. That's how recruiting works. It's just amusing how people justify or vilify the participants depending on if they agree with the decision or not.

• Fire 2

Folks can complain about this offer if they wish, but I would love to see this young man be N!!

6-4 235 and athletic, has played OLB, RB, TE, DE, and special teams well.

I've seen the kid play several times. Absolute beast in class C1. Speed is my only concern. Not slow but might look slow compared say to Cethan Carter. Comes from as good of fb program and coaching as you will find in Nebraska. Bellar can flat out win every year. In a town of 24k with 3 schools. Many titles, and much better than say a Dusty Keiser. I would call him a more physical specimen than Matt Herian just not as quick.

Can someone that has seen this kid play talk about him?

Yeah he is pretty good. Probably not as tall as listed but I could be wrong on that...seemed like Bubak was taller but I don't remember what he was listed at.

Tough kid...great high school program...not a freak of an athlete by really good. Hmmmm...shorten version of Sean Fisher (is that the one that play for the Huskers) but probably a bit tougher and probably and probably a bit nastier. I think he played about 6 different spots.

• Fire 1

It's a risk wyo takes coming to Nebraska to recruit. They know that if we want a recruit... There's a risk we will take him.

Doesnt work that way.. we cant take anything.

The recruit might just pick Nebraska over WYO.

Really!?? I had no idea. I obviously meant we'd throw him a late offer.

Two were committed and one was not. You keep trying to gloss over that part. Even your analogies do not match this situation. You're mistaking your justifying one situation for it not being the same. Simmons has no commitment to break. That is what you are blaming Fitzpatrick for doing.

But you are free to think whatever you want.

I'm not blaming Engelhaupt. I hope he flips. That's how recruiting works. It's just amusing how people justify or vilify the participants depending on if they agree with the decision or not.

Not vilifying him I just think it could've been handled much better on his part. I do think if Reese was here he doesn't even take that visit and is a Husker. Also think if there was a December signing period as proposed that he'd be a Husker. Should show in the future how this would help us.