2016 Recruiting Final Grade

I realize we still have another 36 hours before NSD is over, but I wanted to see how you would grade this year's recruiting class. I will give my assessment.

• QBs-A We landed what appears to be the best QB that NU has recruited in a long time in POB, and have a JUCO transfer that can hopefully push all the other QBs in 2017
  • RBs-B+ Very excited about Tre Bryant, and this grade will move up if we land the Stanford decommit
  • WRs-A- While I know it's unfortunate we lost out on Simmons and Fitz late, the truth is that WR was not a huge area of need. On top of that, the two WRs we have coming in are studs in Grim and Spielman.
  • TEs-B+ I think Stoll is going to be a good one, and like with the WR, we have Snyder and some other good young TE's, so I think the staff did enough to meet this need
  • O-line- A I think we have a wonderful O-line class with Brokop, Raridon, Farniok, and Wilson. I am very happy with how it turned out
  • D-line- D+ I hope I am wrong in this assessment, but to me the D-line recruiting is the most glaring weakness, especially with the loss of Collins and Valentine.
  • LBs B Simmons and Alexander will be good (assuming Alexander stays), but I feel we could have used a bit more depth here
  • Safety A- Domann and Butler are pretty good pickups at safety
  • CBs A Landing Dismuke and Jackson is quite an accomplishment and I'm glad to see the staff went for big time names

Overall Grade: B- I think there is a lot to be excited about, and had we landed some better D-lineman, this could easily have been a B+ or A- class.

• Fire 6

Nice breakdown. I also think Pernell Jefferson will be pretty solid for us at LB - I know some OU fans that were pretty upset they lost him. Don't count out JoJo Domann either.

I really wish we would have gotten more DEs though. That will be one of our highest priorities in next year's class. We've missed out on high-level talent at that position for the last two classes.

Wish we would have grabbed another OT, but getting Farniok is absolutely huge. Outside of QB, that may have been our greatest need in this class.

Also, don't forget Lightbourn at Kicker! He seems like a pretty solid successor to Brown.

I realize we still have another 36 hours before NSD is over, but I wanted to see how you would grade this year's recruiting class. I will give my assessment.

• QBs-A We landed what appears to be the best QB that NU has recruited in a long time in POB, and have a JUCO transfer that can hopefully push all the other QBs in 2017
  • RBs-B+ Very excited about Tre Bryant, and this grade will move up if we land the Stanford decommit
  • WRs-A- While I know it's unfortunate we lost out on Simmons and Fitz late, the truth is that WR was not a huge area of need. On top of that, the two WRs we have coming in are studs in Grim and Spielman.
  • TEs-B+ I think Stoll is going to be a good one, and like with the WR, we have Snyder and some other good young TE's, so I think the staff did enough to meet this need
  • O-line- A I think we have a wonderful O-line class with Brokop, Raridon, Farniok, and Wilson. I am very happy with how it turned out
  • D-line- D+ I hope I am wrong in this assessment, but to me the D-line recruiting is the most glaring weakness, especially with the loss of Collins and Valentine.
  • LBs B Simmons and Alexander will be good (assuming Alexander stays), but I feel we could have used a bit more depth here
  • Safety A- Domann and Butler are pretty good pickups at safety
  • CBs A Landing Dismuke and Jackson is quite an accomplishment and I'm glad to see the staff went for big time names

Overall Grade: B- I think there is a lot to be excited about, and had we landed some better D-lineman, this could easily have been a B+ or A- class.

Not sure I would have the safety position at an A-. A lot of unknown there. Receiver grade may be a little optimistic as well, but overall you seem spot on. Should be higher than a B- with all the As you dished out.

Solid assessment but that was a lot of very high grades for a b- Does dline pull it down that much? Especially just d tackled? I'd say this class deserves a b+

You and Waldo make good points. Perhaps I should modify the overall grade to a B. It's hard for me to give much higher than that when there is one glaring weakness in the class in a position of need.

• QBs-A I believe POB is the future. Transfer adds depth.

RBs-A- Only one recruit (unless we get Bisharat) but Bryant looks like the real deal. Moves up to an A with Bisharat.

WRs-B+ Two very good WRs coming in but losing Fitz/Simmons hurts due to the lack of size at WR.

TEs-B- Decent, but I don't think either have the athletic ability that Carter brings to the table. Both need to hit the weights but they have excellent frames to gain weight.

O-line-A Unless I'm wrong Brokop was the only one who didn't play in an 'All American' game. Great class all around. Roster is a little low on tackles though.

D-line-D Lose two starting DTs and don't bring one in. The two DEs are decent but aren't immediate contributors.

LBs -B No real standouts but solid all around.

Safety -A- Domann and Butler. Both are really good IMO.

CBs -A Dismuke and Jackson will be multi year starters. Jackson plays in some form from day 1.

Overall Grade: B Had we landed Fitz/Simmons, Allen, Watts the class could've ended up being more of a 'complete' class. Lots of talent at the skill positions and o-line though.

Getting a big bodied WR was very important. With Morgan playing as a true freshman, there won't be any freshmen or redshirt big players at the position this year. That hurts after Morgan is gone. B-

Other good young TEs? Who? Glad we picked up Englehaupt. B

DL recuitment sucked, but stop correlating Collins and Valentine with this year's DL recruitment. We weren't going to bring in anyone to fill their shoes for 2016.

QB: A. POB and the new transfer really help.

RB: B. Bryant looks good.

WR: B-. Needed a big bodied guy here.

TE: C+. Stoll and Englehaupt both seem like pretty average TEs.

O-Line: A-. Another tackle would have been nice and would have bumped up to an even higher grade.

D-Line: D. No DT. Only commits are Miller and Stille whom could be moved inside. Head scratcher.

LBs: B. Good talents. Bray should mold them up nice.

CB: A+. Jackson, Bootle, and Dismuke make this one hell of a group.

S: B. Domann and Butler both look like good prospects.

Overall class grade: B. Simmons and Fitz would have been nice as Allen have been. Could have done more at DL also.

Question here...but how does this class grade out compared to our prior coaches' efforts? Legitimately want to know, as I'm not well versed in recruiting like a lot of you fine fellows.

I'm no recruiting aficionado either, but just going off recruiting rankings, they're fairly similar. I always thought it was odd that people criticized the recruiting effort by the prior staff. Of course, I think the class this staff has put together is pretty remarkable despite 1) Nebraska's recruiting disadvantage and 2) coming off a 6-7 season.

To me, Bo's problem wasn't recruiting as much as it was keeping the guys on campus. There was a lot of major attrition--by that, I mean not an exceedingly high attrition rate but every time a player left it seemed like it was a highly-touted recruit (e.g., Aaron Green, Braylon Heard, etc...). So if Riley can keep these guys on the roster, great.

Very optimistic about this staff and this class, and the 2017 recruiting cycle is looking pretty good. To be in on the Calabasas bunch is a huge deal.

• Fire 1

I don't think the coaches care to leverage any de/dt here. It's not a position of need to them. It's a feeling we as message board members have. Clearly they didn't feel the need to grab a DT and I think they have two solid DEs.

I think DT is going to be a major need for us going forward, and I would think the staff will address it then.

Question here...but how does this class grade out compared to our prior coaches' efforts? Legitimately want to know, as I'm not well versed in recruiting like a lot of you fine fellows.

I'm no recruiting aficionado either, but just going off recruiting rankings, they're fairly similar. I always thought it was odd that people criticized the recruiting effort by the prior staff. Of course, I think the class this staff has put together is pretty remarkable despite 1) Nebraska's recruiting disadvantage and 2) coming off a 6-7 season.

To me, Bo's problem wasn't recruiting as much as it was keeping the guys on campus. There was a lot of major attrition--by that, I mean not an exceedingly high attrition rate but every time a player left it seemed like it was a highly-touted recruit (e.g., Aaron Green, Braylon Heard, etc...). So if Riley can keep these guys on the roster, great.

Very optimistic about this staff and this class, and the 2017 recruiting cycle is looking pretty good. To be in on the Calabasas bunch is a huge deal.

Thanks. So the real proof that this is a good class is if we can keep it intact, on campus, and they contribute, right?

I mean...this sounds like a 'duh' statement, but it's something that it sounds like the prior staff wasn't able to succeed at...