2016 Recruiting Final Grade

I realize we still have another 36 hours before NSD is over, but I wanted to see how you would grade this year's recruiting class. I will give my assessment.

• QBs-A We landed what appears to be the best QB that NU has recruited in a long time in POB, and have a JUCO transfer that can hopefully push all the other QBs in 2017
  • RBs-B+ Very excited about Tre Bryant, and this grade will move up if we land the Stanford decommit
  • WRs-A- While I know it's unfortunate we lost out on Simmons and Fitz late, the truth is that WR was not a huge area of need. On top of that, the two WRs we have coming in are studs in Grim and Spielman.
  • TEs-B+ I think Stoll is going to be a good one, and like with the WR, we have Snyder and some other good young TE's, so I think the staff did enough to meet this need
  • O-line- A I think we have a wonderful O-line class with Brokop, Raridon, Farniok, and Wilson. I am very happy with how it turned out
  • D-line- D+ I hope I am wrong in this assessment, but to me the D-line recruiting is the most glaring weakness, especially with the loss of Collins and Valentine.
  • LBs B Simmons and Alexander will be good (assuming Alexander stays), but I feel we could have used a bit more depth here
  • Safety A- Domann and Butler are pretty good pickups at safety
  • CBs A Landing Dismuke and Jackson is quite an accomplishment and I'm glad to see the staff went for big time names

Overall Grade: B- I think there is a lot to be excited about, and had we landed some better D-lineman, this could easily have been a B+ or A- class.

I would agree with your assessment of the individual groups. If you treat it like school grades, yours would come up with a 3.5 GPA or a B+. I think the D line is important enough to weight it down to a B.

Still a very good class that we can use to build on into the future.

Just a question here. If the class ends up between 25 and 30 which it looks like it will. Would that be considered a average class for us? So wouldn't a C class average be more realistic. No before everybody calls me a pessimist and says I'm not a real fan. I think we had some real bright spots in the class but overall it was a average Nebraska class.

• Fire 2

Just a question here. If the class ends up between 25 and 30 which it looks like it will. Would that be considered a average class for us? So wouldn't a C class average be more realistic. No before everybody calls me a pessimist and says I'm not a real fan. I think we had some real bright spots in the class but overall it was a average Nebraska class.

Your class's ranking and its ability to address team needs are two very different things.

• QBs-A POB and transfer
  • RBs-B Bryant is very good. Would have been higher with a FB type.
  • WRs- B- Really like what Spielman and Grim can do but they are both similar players and would have liked a Tall WR that could stretch the defense. Williams son will help with this group too.
  • TEs-B- Stoll is a complete TE and I like the late addition of David. Would have been higher with Allen but 2 solid prospectd.
  • O-line- A- Love Raridon, Farniok, Wilson, and Brokop. Jackson would have boosted this grade to A.
  • D-line- C 2 solid DE prospects. Think both will need a RS year but hope they can give us an edge rush presence in the future. No DT, but it seems like we didnt want one unless they were an elite prospect.
  • LBs B+ Think Simmons will be a player and Quayshon will be a nice project. Has great physical tools, it will be interesting how he plays as a true LB.
  • Safety B- Think Butler is a very nice prospect, think Domann will be a hybrid S/LB and eventually move to LB. Dismuke could end up at Safety which would help this group.
  • CBs A Jackson has all the tools to be an elite CB, now it is time for Stewart to develop this kid. Dismuke is a very good prospect too.
  • P/K- A Got the best Punter in the country.

Overall- B Adding 2 of SImmons, Alaric Jackson, and/or Fitz would have made it A-

Solid class. Good enough to be best in the west. Now lets build off that and catch up to the best of the east next year.

I realize we still have another 36 hours before NSD is over, but I wanted to see how you would grade this year's recruiting class. I will give my assessment.

• QBs-A We landed what appears to be the best QB that NU has recruited in a long time in POB, and have a JUCO transfer that can hopefully push all the other QBs in 2017
  • RBs-B+ Very excited about Tre Bryant, and this grade will move up if we land the Stanford decommit
  • WRs-A- While I know it's unfortunate we lost out on Simmons and Fitz late, the truth is that WR was not a huge area of need. On top of that, the two WRs we have coming in are studs in Grim and Spielman.
  • TEs-B+ I think Stoll is going to be a good one, and like with the WR, we have Snyder and some other good young TE's, so I think the staff did enough to meet this need
  • O-line- A I think we have a wonderful O-line class with Brokop, Raridon, Farniok, and Wilson. I am very happy with how it turned out
  • D-line- D+ I hope I am wrong in this assessment, but to me the D-line recruiting is the most glaring weakness, especially with the loss of Collins and Valentine.
  • LBs B Simmons and Alexander will be good (assuming Alexander stays), but I feel we could have used a bit more depth here
  • CBs A Landing Dismuke and Jackson is quite an accomplishment and I'm glad to see the staff went for big time names

Overall Grade: B- I think there is a lot to be excited about, and had we landed some better D-lineman, this could easily have been a B+ or A- class.

how in the hell do you get B+ when we come in #24?

I would agree with your assessment of the individual groups. If you treat it like school grades, yours would come up with a 3.5 GPA or a B+. I think the D line is important enough to weight it down to a B.

we are really good at building for the future.......its who we are! it's what we do!

how in the hell do you get B+ when we come in #24?

I said if we had landed some good D-lineman it would have bumped to a B-. As for assigning a grade to rankings, here is how that works out in my opinion.

Top 12 class-A+

Ranked 13-16-A

Ranked 17-19-A-

Ranked 20-22 B+

Ranked 23-26 B

Ranked 27-29 B-

Ranked 30-32 C+

Ranked 33-36 C

And so on. Thus, I later amended my B- to a Solid B for this recruiting class.

Love the O-Line, DB and QB spots. LB seems pretty in line with out normal haul. We might not have got that big body WR, but I think our offense is more about spacing and accuracy than the jump ball with physical WRs. D-Line is the obvious weakness, going to have to score there next year and we need the 2015 guys to perform.

All in all a very solid class. Pretty much what we have done the past half decade.

we are really good at building for the future.......its who we are! it's what we do!

Ummmm....that's what a football recruiting class does.

Were you expecting this class to win a championship next year for us?

I think a "B" is a good grade for this class. In most cases, depending on depth and talent of the player, it takes 1-3 years for a recruiting class to see serious playing time. A QB needs to learn the playbook and develop rapport with the WR's, linemen need to get bigger and stronger, LB's and WR's can sometimes get on the field earlier. This class isn't going to salvage the coming season but will be a good foundation for the future. I expect good things from this class going forward.