Get Rid of National Signing Day

BTW, why don't you like it? Just curious.

I believe it would allow coaches to put extreme pressure on the recruit to sign papers when maybe they haven't had the ability to think things through.

The kid gets pressured only to regret it later but he's stuck.

A possible solution to that, if necessary, is a "cooling off period" like some states have for major purchases.

Or a restriction on signing wishing X days of an on campus visit.

I dont think that would be good. Coaches would pressure recruits to commit and sign on visits. Kids are gonna end up going to places they dont want to go to and even more transfers are going to happen.

Things need to change to make it better for the student- athlete and the coaches. The best thing that is to make an early signing period, around July/August. Sure would help those athletes not having to worry about recruiting anymore and the coaches not having to spend so much time and money on so many recruits for so long.

The other thing is allowing tuniversities to pay for at least one parent to come on official visits. Its just a no brainer.

I believe it would allow coaches to put extreme pressure on the recruit to sign papers when maybe they haven't had the ability to think things through.

And how would that be different from just having an early signing day?

The coach isn't sitting at their kitchen table pressuring them to sign right then and there.

The coach isn't sitting at their kitchen table pressuring them to sign right then and there.

But it will be "if you don't sign right now we might not have a spot for you in February" which would be the same thing, if not worse because then they would feel pressure to absolutely decide in those 3-5 days or however long the signing period is.

There are going to be a few kids regretting signing either way. The degree of pressure felt would be more by some under one set of circumstances and more by others under the other set of circumstances. Why do you think 99% of players sign on NSD when they have several weeks when they could sign? Because there is pressure to sign right away as soon as the window opens up. If there is no window because you can sign whenever you want, it means coaches can't give you a deadline. They may say "someone else may take your spot" but that's exactly how it is now.

I dont think that would be good. Coaches would pressure recruits to commit and sign on visits. Kids are gonna end up going to places they dont want to go to and even more transfers are going to happen.

Things need to change to make it better for the student- athlete and the coaches. The best thing that is to make an early signing period, around July/August. Sure would help those athletes not having to worry about recruiting anymore and the coaches not having to spend so much time and money on so many recruits for so long.

The other thing is allowing tuniversities to pay for at least one parent to come on official visits. Its just a no brainer.

I seriously don't see how an early signing helps recruits but a true offer and acceptance system hurts them, which is what you're saying. The pressure to sign would be there in July/August. Probably even more pressure. And you'd be losing time that both the coaches and the players could use to evaluate each other.

One of the biggest benefits of making all offers "commitable" is that recruits can't be strung along. They have a tangible way of knowing exactly where they stand with a staff.

There's a simple way around that:

1. Have a cooling off period where a player can withdrawal from a contract, say for up to 1 week after signing.

2. Require at least X days between an in person visit and being allowed to sign.

There's so much upside for kids by making these contracts the same as all other contracts. We could figure out "tweaks" to mitigate these corner cases.

What I do know is that the current system is bad for everyone (but the media).

It's especially bad for Nebraska.

Quiet periods aren't to help players.

They are instituted to give coaches some allowed downtime. And to insulate coaches from competition, especially by schools like Nebraksa who often need to wait until after seasons to schedule visits due to timing constraints.

The period around signing day when visits are not allowed is NOT to give the coaches time off.

In fact, they are still working their butts off.

They are instituted to give coaches some allowed downtime. And to insulate coaches from competition, especially by schools like Nebraksa who often need to wait until after seasons to schedule visits due to timing constraints.

The period around signing day when visits are not allowed is NOT to give the coaches time off.

I'm referring mainly to the dead period that lasts 4+ weeks in December and into the middle of January. That's definitely mostly designed to give some coaches dedicated downtime. I'm not saying they are all checked out, but it relieves pressure.

Anyway, you're not really getting at the heart of the issue.

Recruiting should be set up to benefit kids. Not help certain programs obtain and retain their classes.

The current system benefits no one other than the handful of "recruiting Tier 1" programs.

I seriously don't see how an early signing helps recruits but a true offer and acceptance system hurts them, which is what you're saying. The pressure to sign would be there in July/August. Probably even more pressure. And you'd be losing time that both the coaches and the players could use to evaluate each other.

One of the biggest benefits of making all offers "commitable" is that recruits can't be strung along. They have a tangible way of knowing exactly where they stand with a staff.

It doesnt take a lot of thought. Sign now or else compared to please sign with us at the signing period. Make your decision now compared to think about it and hope your in on signing day. The pressure is not even close to the same. Not sure how this is so hard to understand. Its completely different.

I'm referring mainly to the dead period that lasts 4+ weeks in December and into the middle of January. That's definitely mostly designed to give some coaches dedicated downtime. I'm not saying they are all checked out, but it relieves pressure.

Anyway, you're not really getting at the heart of the issue.

Recruiting should be set up to benefit kids. Not help certain programs obtain and retain their classes.

The current system benefits no one other than the handful of "recruiting Tier 1" programs.

Its supposed to even out the recruiting field for the teams in bowl games so they arent punished in recruiting for making a bowl. Hence the time of year it happens. Thought goes a long way.