Who will be the next DL Coach??????

Stumpy1

Dang it! I missed who S&B said just recently but apparently they let the name slip on air. Sounds like announcement could be made today.

Angus McClure is who I thought Sharpe mentioned quickly on air this morning. Would be a great hire IMO if true.

EDIT - will need to go back through the podcasts, 2nd or 3rd segment to be sure but that is who I thought I heard him say.

Dang it! I missed who S&B said just recently but apparently they let the name slip on air. Sounds like announcement could be made today.

Angus McClure is who I thought Sharpe mentioned quickly on air this morning. Would be a great hire IMO if true.

EDIT - will need to go back through the podcasts, 2nd or 3rd segment to be sure but that is who I thought I heard him say.

DB told the producer to cut it out of the podcast :/

Interesting! I don't remember this guy at all but he's got a few ties to Nebraska apparently. Was an assistant for Callahan for two years, and was also the offensive line coach and run game coordinator for Turner Gill at Buffalo. Here's some more of his bio from UCLA's site:

Angus McClure has over 20 years of coaching experience and is entering his ninth season as a member of the Bruin staff. In 2012, he began coaching the defensive line, having previously coached tight ends, offensive line and special teams since arriving in Westwood in 2007. Angus continues in his role as the Recruiting Coordinator. Over the past eight years, McClure has also led the recruiting effort which has resulted in Bruin classes being ranked among the nation's top 20 in each year. In 2013-14, he was named among the Top 25 Recruiters in College Football by Rivals. In addition, UCLA has had a defensive lineman selected in six of the past eight NFL drafts.

Seems like a fantastic hire if true, but are we putting all of our eggs into the California basket?

LJS Steve Sipple offers his best guess and candidates.

Angus McClure, former NU grad assistant

Chris Kiffin, son of Monte

Ex - Husker defensive lineman John Parrella

Ex-Husker defensive tackle Steve Warren

Nebraska graduate assistant Tavita Thompson

Angus McClure and Chris Kiffin come with the added benefit of being recruiting coordinators for UCLA and Ole Miss, respectively. Should help with any recruits we're going head-to-head with those schools for.

For the life of me, I can't remember who serves in that capacity now for Nebraska.... Can someone help me out?

I may be wrong but I believe since Bruce Read does not recruit it allows Andy Vaughn to be our recruiting coordinator as well as be able to personally meet with and recruit players when they are on campus.

I think they did something like that for Barney Cotton

Interesting! I don't remember this guy at all but he's got a few ties to Nebraska apparently. Was an assistant for Callahan for two years, and was also the offensive line coach and run game coordinator for Turner Gill at Buffalo. Here's some more of his bio from UCLA's site:

Angus McClure has over 20 years of coaching experience and is entering his ninth season as a member of the Bruin staff. In 2012, he began coaching the defensive line, having previously coached tight ends, offensive line and special teams since arriving in Westwood in 2007. Angus continues in his role as the Recruiting Coordinator. Over the past eight years, McClure has also led the recruiting effort which has resulted in Bruin classes being ranked among the nation's top 20 in each year. In 2013-14, he was named among the Top 25 Recruiters in College Football by Rivals. In addition, UCLA has had a defensive lineman selected in six of the past eight NFL drafts.

Seems like a fantastic hire if true, but are we putting all of our eggs into the California basket?

Not a bad basket to be in. Having said that, this coaching staff showed plenty of ability to adapt to recruiting in the 500 mile radius, an area they hadn't had much experience in before....

Not a bad basket to be in. Having said that, this coaching staff showed plenty of ability to adapt to recruiting in the 500 mile radius, an area they hadn't had much experience in before....

They pretty much whiffed on everyone in that 500 mile radius they went after. The ones that signed were recruited hard or committed to Bo's staff. The high school relations guy sucked, was an arrogant A hole and told the coaches at the coaching clinic he didn't intend to recruit Nebraska much. He was so bad and screwed up so much they announced today he was reassigned. Going forward Kenny Wilhite has that role and he will excel at it.

• Fire 1

The negativity is funny. Brasfield seems like a solid guy, and we're lucky to have both he and Wilhite. This is a promotion for Brasfield, if I'm not mistaken. Hopefully, NU will hang onto both for a while.

McClure sounds like a hell of a candidate. I would've guessed it to be someone whose name hasn't really come up before. I think Hughes was just really a disaster at recruiting, but I expect coaching and teaching to remain the top priority. I like that, but ofc, it wouldn't hurt at all to land another Bray. Bright, bright future for him.

The negativity is funny. Brasfield seems like a solid guy, and we're lucky to have both he and Wilhite. This is a promotion for Brasfield, if I'm not mistaken. Hopefully, NU will hang onto both for a while.

McClure sounds like a hell of a candidate. I would've guessed it to be someone whose name hasn't really come up before. I think Hughes was just really a disaster at recruiting, but I expect coaching and teaching to remain the top priority. I like that, but ofc, it wouldn't hurt at all to land another Bray. Bright, bright future for him.

Wait, what? Brasfield was hired as new DL coach?