Who will be the next DL Coach??????

Stumpy1

Wait, what? Brasfield was hired as new DL coach?

No no. Brasfield served in Wilhite's capacity last year. He was Mike Riley's RBs coach at Oregon State; he moved into the administrative side at NU with what Wilhite is now stepping into (walk-on coordinator, I think?), and he in turn was promoted. Will now work with recruiting in all sports.

Wait, what? Brasfield was hired as new DL coach?

No no. Brasfield served in Wilhite's capacity last year. He was Mike Riley's RBs coach at Oregon State; he moved into the administrative side at NU with what Wilhite is now stepping into (walk-on coordinator, I think?), and he in turn was promoted. Will now work with recruiting in all sports.

Okay, was wondering why we were talking about current Nebraska staffers getting promotions in the "NEXT DL COACH" thread. Made it sound like we promoted within and it wasn't Tavita.

They pretty much whiffed on everyone in that 500 mile radius they went after. The ones that signed were recruited hard or committed to Bo's staff.

Laughable

Farniok, Domann, Speilman, Bryant, Stoll, Wilson, Stille, and Englehaupt were all from the 500 or really close to it and commited to this staff. I wouldn't say that we "pretty much whiffed on everyone in 500 mile radius we went after". And we would have had Simmons if not for the late Clemson offer.

Did we miss on some? Yup. But we aren't going to get every guy we want in or out of the 500. That's the way recruiting works.

• Fire 1

Dang it! I missed who S&B said just recently but apparently they let the name slip on air. Sounds like announcement could be made today.

Angus McClure is who I thought Sharpe mentioned quickly on air this morning. Would be a great hire IMO if true.

EDIT - will need to go back through the podcasts, 2nd or 3rd segment to be sure but that is who I thought I heard him say.

Interesting! I don't remember this guy at all but he's got a few ties to Nebraska apparently. Was an assistant for Callahan for two years, and was also the offensive line coach and run game coordinator for Turner Gill at Buffalo. Here's some more of his bio from UCLA's site:

Angus McClure has over 20 years of coaching experience and is entering his ninth season as a member of the Bruin staff. In 2012, he began coaching the defensive line, having previously coached tight ends, offensive line and special teams since arriving in Westwood in 2007. Angus continues in his role as the Recruiting Coordinator. Over the past eight years, McClure has also led the recruiting effort which has resulted in Bruin classes being ranked among the nation's top 20 in each year. In 2013-14, he was named among the Top 25 Recruiters in College Football by Rivals. In addition, UCLA has had a defensive lineman selected in six of the past eight NFL drafts.

Seems like a fantastic hire if true, but are we putting all of our eggs into the California basket?

Not a bad basket to be in. Having said that, this coaching staff showed plenty of ability to adapt to recruiting in the 500 mile radius, an area they hadn't had much experience in before....

They pretty much whiffed on everyone in that 500 mile radius they went after. The ones that signed were recruited hard or committed to Bo's staff. The high school relations guy sucked, was an arrogant A hole and told the coaches at the coaching clinic he didn't intend to recruit Nebraska much. He was so bad and screwed up so much they announced today he was reassigned. Going forward Kenny Wilhite has that role and he will excel at it.

That's just not accurate.

Farniok- Was far from locked up by Pelini. That was most definitely a recruiting win in the radius for 2016.

'

Bryant- Wasn't even offered by the Pelini staff

Wilson- Wasn't offered by Pelini.

Stoll- No Pelini offer.

Domann- All Riley & staff there.

As for the lineman who were already committed (Raridon, Brokop). You act as if it's easy to keep kids committed in the middle of a coaching change. Did Pelini have them on the radar? Sure. Still a nice job by this coaching staff to keep them interested, and committed.

Missing on a couple key prospects late, is for from "whiffing on everyone" in the area, and those two kids from Kansas are probably going to Clemson whether it was Pelini or Riley in charge.....

• Fire 2

Dang it! I missed who S&B said just recently but apparently they let the name slip on air. Sounds like announcement could be made today.

Angus McClure is who I thought Sharpe mentioned quickly on air this morning. Would be a great hire IMO if true.

EDIT - will need to go back through the podcasts, 2nd or 3rd segment to be sure but that is who I thought I heard him say.

Benning told the producer to cut the info about Wilhite moving into Brasfield's role out of the podcast because it wasn't suppose to be public knowledge yet. Neither Sharp or Benning said who the next DL coach would be. They did, however, make it seem like the position was all but filled, though.

• Fire 1

Benning told the producer to cut the info about Wilhite moving into Brasfield's role out of the podcast because it wasn't suppose to be public knowledge yet. Neither Sharp or Benning said who the next DL coach would be. They did, however, make it seem like the position was all but filled, though.

Ok, I gotcha. Sorry for stirring up the pot. I missed that Wilhite part and then their segue into listing DL candidates made me think they were referring to the vacancy to cover their tracks. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
  • Fire 1

Thanks for the info. I was wondering what happened to segment 8. I podcast and didn't get a chance to hear what got cut.

Interesting! I don't remember this guy at all but he's got a few ties to Nebraska apparently. Was an assistant for Callahan for two years, and was also the offensive line coach and run game coordinator for Turner Gill at Buffalo. Here's some more of his bio from UCLA's site:

Angus McClure has over 20 years of coaching experience and is entering his ninth season as a member of the Bruin staff. In 2012, he began coaching the defensive line, having previously coached tight ends, offensive line and special teams since arriving in Westwood in 2007. Angus continues in his role as the Recruiting Coordinator. Over the past eight years, McClure has also led the recruiting effort which has resulted in Bruin classes being ranked among the nation's top 20 in each year. In 2013-14, he was named among the Top 25 Recruiters in College Football by Rivals. In addition, UCLA has had a defensive lineman selected in six of the past eight NFL drafts.

Seems like a fantastic hire if true, but are we putting all of our eggs into the California basket?

Not a bad basket to be in. Having said that, this coaching staff showed plenty of ability to adapt to recruiting in the 500 mile radius, an area they hadn't had much experience in before....

They pretty much whiffed on everyone in that 500 mile radius they went after. The ones that signed were recruited hard or committed to Bo's staff. The high school relations guy sucked, was an arrogant A hole and told the coaches at the coaching clinic he didn't intend to recruit Nebraska much. He was so bad and screwed up so much they announced today he was reassigned. Going forward Kenny Wilhite has that role and he will excel at it.

Farniok- Was far from locked up by Pelini. That was most definitely a recruiting win in the radius for 2016.

'

Stoll- No Pelini offer.

As for the lineman who were already committed (Raridon, Brokop). You act as if it's easy to keep kids committed in the middle of a coaching change. Did Pelini have them on the radar? Sure. Still a nice job by this coaching staff to keep them interested, and committed.

Missing on a couple key prospects late, is for from "whiffing on everyone" in the area, and those two kids from Kansas are probably going to Clemson whether it was Pelini or Riley in charge.....

Both Fant and Bubak were coming to NU until this staff messed it up. You seemed to miss out on them in your mentions. So no biggie we let the best two kids leave because we wouldn't call them back.

'

Stoll- No Pelini offer.

Both Fant and Bubak were coming to NU until this staff messed it up. You seemed to miss out on them in your mentions. So no biggie we let the best two kids leave because we wouldn't call them back.

I would take everyone listed above before Fant and Bubak. They were far from the best two kids. Back on track, I would love to see McClure get hired.

'

Stoll- No Pelini offer.

Ummmmm.........that's a total whifffff????

'

Stoll- No Pelini offer.

No thanks on Bubak. Eh on Fant, and Hughes messed that up and he was fired.

Thanks for the info. I was wondering what happened to segment 8. I podcast and didn't get a chance to hear what got cut.
Found it, it was towards the end of segment 1 this morning. They drop Angus McClure's name in a passing manner starting at about the 23:40 mark.