WR Joseph Lewis [USC - Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

149 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Never understood this - always saw it as a potential loophole in the system but didn't see anyone abuse it. You can't pay/give gifts to college players. But can you do it for high profile HS recruits? It would seem this is what Adidas does for many of the California guys that we are after. That Zach guy (ZSoskin) is a "Grassroots Sports Marketing" employee, and he's buddy buddy with all of the players. Seems to constantly be giving them new gear. Is that allowed?

Never understood this - always saw it as a potential loophole in the system but didn't see anyone abuse it. You can't pay/give gifts to college players. But can you do it for high profile HS recruits? It would seem this is what Adidas does for many of the California guys that we are after. That Zach guy (ZSoskin) is a "Grassroots Sports Marketing" employee, and he's buddy buddy with all of the players. Seems to constantly be giving them new gear. Is that allowed?

Maybe they are buying it directly from him?

I know companies can have contracts with the school and get a bunch of free stuff or on discount, but it looks like his HS has Under Armour apparel. BUT they could have possibly ended the contract with UA and moved to Adidas

I know companies can have contracts with the school and get a bunch of free stuff or on discount, but it looks like his HS has Under Armour apparel. BUT they could have possibly ended the contract with UA and moved to Adidas

High schools have contracts with apparel companies?

Yeah it's a pretty shady business. Apparel companies such as Nike, Adidas, UA reach out the more high profile schools and agree on contracts. Once the contract ends that school can bid out to these companies seeking the best deals. Signing a contract for X amount of seasons can get you free cleats for the team, certain % off of all their apparel for the team etc. I've even seen where the contract states if you win X amount of games or win the state title you can even get more discounts.

Yeah it's a pretty shady business. Apparel companies such as Nike, Adidas, UA reach out the more high profile schools and agree on contracts. Once the contract ends that school can bid out to these companies seeking the best deals. Signing a contract for X amount of seasons can get you free cleats for the team, certain % off of all their apparel for the team etc. I've even seen where the contract states if you win X amount of games or win the state title you can even get more discounts.

Yikes. Guess we better get him enrolled here ASAP then

It being Adidas is a great sign. Zona and USC are Nike

Someone asked Darnay Holmes a couple months ago - when he was repping Adidas - if it mattered to him what company a college was with. He flatly said not at all. So I doubt it'll have any effect.

I assume he means it's a great sign based off what he said about wearing Adidas for a long time.

• Fire 2

Someone asked Darnay Holmes a couple months ago - when he was repping Adidas - if it mattered to him what company a college was with. He flatly said not at all. So I doubt it'll have any effect.

I assume he means it's a great sign based off what he said about wearing Adidas for a long time.

This ^

Unless he's bringing some of his high school teammates to Lincoln, he also said "we" which would seem to indicate his high school team that will be wearing them for a long time.

I stand by my statement. It's quite a stretch to think that tweet gives some indication about where he'll be attending college.

Wait.....

I thought we needed to drop Adidas ASAP because all the big recruits were demanding they wear Nike when they get to college and all of them hated Adidas.