WR Joseph Lewis [USC - Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

149 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Everyone sells Lewis as a big bodied, red zone type threat. He's an outstanding talent, but what are people basing this off of? I've seen heights all the way from 6'1 to 6'3.5" for him, which (obviously) is quite a big difference.

Measured at 6'1.5" at Nike Open

Stanley Is about 6'1" but he is very physical. He doesn't have the height but he has the bulky build that can play physical... I think that's what ppl mean when they say Lewis is a "big physical" guy.

Right, and I 100%. But what I hear when people say that is that we want the true 6'3-6'4 height we are missing.

Everyone sells Lewis as a big bodied, red zone type threat. He's an outstanding talent, but what are people basing this off of? I've seen heights all the way from 6'1 to 6'3.5" for him, which (obviously) is quite a big difference.

Stanley Is about 6'1" but he is very physical. He doesn't have the height but he has the bulky build that can play physical... I think that's what ppl mean when they say Lewis is a "big physical" guy.

Right, and I 100%. But what I hear when people say that is that we want the true 6'3-6'4 height we are missing.

Well we have a few on the board who fit that bill, and I do agree we need 1-2 big boys. They may be trying to land one of these 6'3"- 6'4" dudes.

Jhamon Ausbon - From IMG in Florida.

Tarik Black - From Connecticut

Tyler Johnson - from Arizona

Bryce Gilbert - from Arizona but is already 6'3" 230 so could project to a TE.

Getting a "tall" WR is overrated. Someone who is around 6' and plays big (Odell Beckam, DeAndre Hopkins) works for me.

Slightly different goal, but I remembered reading this from PFF about WR height and NFL fantasy production, and it concludes:

When 73″ or 74″ is the median for all four tests, with no obvious trend indicating a taller receiver correlates to better production or stats, I can’t support the tall receiver thinking. The data indicates a 6’1″ receiver has just as good a chance at fantasy success than one who stands at 6’3″. Height on a receiver is nice, but is by no means the most important indicator of success.

I suppose, just for the sake of discussion, one might argue that comparison of 'tall' WR vs 'short' is really more about comparing a 6'4" guy to a 5'9" one. The big one has advantages in certain plays vs a small corner @ 5'10 or so. In my view, the height advantage is most beneficial in those fade patterns into the corner of the end zoen on plays snapped inside the 10. The QB can throw it high and over the reach of the corner. With a great throw, almost impossible to defend really. On plays in the middle of the field, receiver height is helpful on the throws a little high, etc. But the smaller receivers seem, in my view, to have advantage in running after the catch and getting the low throws, etc. I think you like to some of each for packages and particular circumstances and creating mismatches. The 6'1 guy is kind in between. I put the 6' and under guys in the small category and 6'2 and up in the big category. I suppose the ideal tall receiver is now around 6'5". The little ones (now under 5'10") are going to become few and far between. A guy like Johnny Rodgers at about 5'8" (maybe?) would likely get overlooked by many programs today. Riley obviously is looking for pure speed, hands, elusiveness and blocking skills presumably. I do think players weighing less than 170 lbs are going to be limited and at risk for some tough hits as safeties and LBs and even corners are now at or over 210 often tiimes. Giving up 4" and 40 lbs or more is tough.

I suppose, just for the sake of discussion, one might argue that comparison of 'tall' WR vs 'short' is really more about comparing a 6'4" guy to a 5'9" one. The big one has advantages in certain plays vs a small corner @ 5'10 or so. In my view, the height advantage is most beneficial in those fade patterns into the corner of the end zoen on plays snapped inside the 10. The QB can throw it high and over the reach of the corner. With a great throw, almost impossible to defend really. On plays in the middle of the field, receiver height is helpful on the throws a little high, etc. But the smaller receivers seem, in my view, to have advantage in running after the catch and getting the low throws, etc. I think you like to some of each for packages and particular circumstances and creating mismatches. The 6'1 guy is kind in between. I put the 6' and under guys in the small category and 6'2 and up in the big category. I suppose the ideal tall receiver is now around 6'5". The little ones (now under 5'10") are going to become few and far between. A guy like Johnny Rodgers at about 5'8" (maybe?) would likely get overlooked by many programs today. Riley obviously is looking for pure speed, hands, elusiveness and blocking skills presumably. I do think players weighing less than 170 lbs are going to be limited and at risk for some tough hits as safeties and LBs and even corners are now at or over 210 often tiimes. Giving up 4" and 40 lbs or more is tough.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/small-wide-receivers-making-big-impact-across-nfl-090051591--nfl.html

Girl, its an interesting article and guess I dont disagree with some of the points. Not sure if you are disagreeing or simply referencing the story for my benefit.

I still feel my points are valid and not much to dispute really. Tall receivers have their advantages and disadvantages compared to small ones. But, I do feel that there is generally an advantage, all other things being equal, to larger sized players. In basketball, being small certainly a disadvantage, no matter how high you can jump or how far out you can shoot, etc. There is no substitute for height in basketball, as the rules and so on are generally set up today. The three point line helped - in some ways - but it also hurt as short players have trouble guarding tall ones who can shoot over them - anywhere.

Same applies in football but to a lesser extent. Players are still getting bigger and stronger and this is clearly measurable. Not subject to debate I don't believe. I don't thnk they are necessarily getting faster and perhaps pure speed is suffering for the sake of height and weight gains.

Well we have a few on the board who fit that bill, and I do agree we need 1-2 big boys. They may be trying to land one of these 6'3"- 6'4" dudes.

Jhamon Ausbon - From IMG in Florida.

Tarik Black - From Connecticut

Tyler Johnson - from Arizona

Bryce Gilbert - from Arizona but is already 6'3" 230 so could project to a TE.

Reimers is 6'5" and had a good spring game.

I don't recall off top of my head the season(s) but do remember Coach Ron Brown referring to his group of receivers as his "Itty Bitty Committee" because we had several WRs who were very small -5-8 or 5-9. Abdul Muhommad or maybe it was Bobby Thomas or ?? But they all could certainly run very fast and make people miss after the catch.