Am I the only one who cringes when Huskers are called DONU?

To me, DONU sounds like what someone's grandmother might call us. Or maybe it's like referring to "dear old grand dad" while rolling your eyes at something he does. It sounds corny (no pun intended). Look at the lyrics to the song:

There is no place like Nebraska,
Dear old Nebraska U.
Where the girls are the fairest,
The boys are the squarest,
Of any old school that I knew.

Maybe being called a square doesn't have the negative connotation that it had when I was growing up.

People talk about alternate uniforms, and rockin' tunnel songs as things that would make today's kids identify with the school, yet we try to get recruits to come to DONU? I read that, and wonder how many kids think it's a hick place they will take a pass on.

As far as I'm concerned, the only reason to type "donu" is if you're going to finish it with a "t", as in "donut".

It's the off-season, you know. Just wondering how many others read it that way.

• Fire 2

I believe the term being square is being complementary indicating one is true and honest and decent as in a square dealer. One who does what he is supposed to do in other words. One being teased for being 'a square' I interpreted to mean very straight laced and a little too decent and a Mr, goody two shoes. Nothing bad frankly. Basically one could have described Tom Osborne as the ultimate 'square'. Nothing wrong with being a good old fashioned square.

I believe the term being square is being complementary indicating one is true and honest and decent as in a square dealer. One who does what he is supposed to do in other words. One being teased for being 'a square' I interpreted to mean very straight laced and a little too decent and a Mr, goody two shoes. Nothing bad frankly. Basically one could have described Tom Osborne as the ultimate 'square'. Nothing wrong with being a good old fashioned square.

Pretty much this.

You have to understand the term not necessarily in modern day terms. Think of when the song was written.

Girls are the fairest

Boys are the squarest

Both compliments.

Pretty much this.

You have to understand the term not necessarily in modern day terms. Think of when the song was written.

Girls are the fairest

Boys are the squarest

Both compliments.

Sure, I understand that, but it's kind of like showing pictures of campus with students walking around wearing beanies and whatever else that hasn't been seen in 50 years. Out of date, and I think Nebraska is already viewed as being behind the times in many ways. Not that it's all bad, but maybe it's not the image we want to perpetuate? Or probably it's so minor of a thing that it just doesn't matter, or is seen as distinctive, and maybe even favorably nostalgic to some, I guess.

And it's not just the song but even if it was, using something written by a class of 1924 grad maybe isn't what's going to help attract recruits, though I guess most school songs are dated.

Anyway, I guess it's just me that it sounds so old-fashioned to, and not in a good way. I appreciate the replies.

I don't think potential recruits really care too much about the school's fight song.

If you would listen to a lot of schools' fight songs, they are pretty old-fashioned and "out of date".

Again. It's not really about the song. And if you actually read all of my last post I acknowledged that most school fight songs are dated.

What I was referring to was the number of times here that people use "DONU".

DONU is not being used to entice recruits. Hell most UNL graduates wouldn't even know what stands for. I went back in the early 80's and just figured out what donu meant a few months ago. It probably gets used on this message board more than anyplace else. I wouldn't worry about the terms being outdated and not applicable to today's youth. It is from an old song, and as such it has a place in our history. It's okay. Not everything has to be bright shiny and new. Recruits aren't seeing this and thinking NU is a square place. Golly gee willickers.