Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (Spoilers for Episode 7)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IW6CIO08Zk

This video gives some information which I guess is a bit of old news (i.e. from December) but it is new news to me.

Daisy Ridley said in a December interview that Rey's parents are "obvious" after watching The Force Awakens. I've been trying to wrap my mind around this because JJ Abrams has said her parents were not in Episode 7 and Ridley also said in a prior interview that if people watched TFA then they'd know Han wasn't her father.

Excluding the notion that they're just lying to throw everyone off, among the several theories I've considered, the one I lean towards is that she's a Kenobi. She hears Kenobi's voice most prominently in the lightsaber vision, and even though it is a Skywalker saber, it was in Obi-Wan's possession for some time. The weakest part of this argument is that Star Wars has always been about the Skywalkers and this would heavily tilt that narrative.

There are also still a number of Skywalker-based theories (i.e. she was born of the Force via Leia in secret) but it just doesn't seem to jive. And perhaps when Ridley says it's "obvious" who her parents are, she may mean that it's "obvious" it's no one in the films.

• Fire 1

This video gives some information which I guess is a bit of old news (i.e. from December) but it is new news to me.

Daisy Ridley said in a December interview that Rey's parents are "obvious" after watching The Force Awakens. I've been trying to wrap my mind around this because JJ Abrams has said her parents were not in Episode 7 and Ridley also said in a prior interview that if people watched TFA then they'd know Han wasn't her father.

Excluding the notion that they're just lying to throw everyone off, among the several theories I've considered, the one I lean towards is that she's a Kenobi. She hears Kenobi's voice most prominently in the lightsaber vision, and even though it is a Skywalker saber, it was in Obi-Wan's possession for some time. The weakest part of this argument is that Star Wars has always been about the Skywalkers and this would heavily tilt that narrative.

There are also still a number of Skywalker-based theories (i.e. she was born of the Force via Leia in secret) but it just doesn't seem to jive. And perhaps when Ridley says it's "obvious" who her parents are, she may mean that it's "obvious" it's no one in the films.

The Rey Kenobi theory is valid, but it also goes against everything Obi-Wan stood for. He was a staunch follower of the old jedi order to the point where he experienced the same temptations as Anakin in the Clone Wars, but let them go by not becoming romantically involved with someone he loved even though he had chances. A thought that I just read explains why Obi Wan was heard during the lightsaber flashback/vision. Both of what Obi Wan and Yoda said in that scene were lines said to Luke in the OT. (Yoda's "Surrounds us...Binds us" when he's talking about the force and Kenobi's "These are your first steps" were said in ANH after Luke blocks the bolts from the trainer)

And really the Kenobi theory is based on the fact the he is the one that speaks in the force vision. Which you could also say of Yoda and no one is saying the Yoda is Rey's father.

At this point there is too much pointing to Rey being Luke's daughter that if she's anyone, she will be Luke's daughter or no one. There's too many hoops you would have to jump through to explain another origin.

Just asking:

Rey must have been born about the time of the original trilogy, right?

What is the deal with Jedi and marriage and/or procreating? If it is bad, where do little Jedi come from.

Rey is approximately 19 during TFA, so she was born approximately 10 years after ROTJ. The attachment thing came about becuase Jedi who were too afraid of letting go became possessive and turned to the dark side (i.e. Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader). Luke turns that on its head in the OT because while he caused issues in ESB in leaving to save Leia and Han, it was his love for Vader/Anakin that caused Anakin to turn back to the light and kill Sidious. There's also been no indication in the new canon that Luke would follow the Old Jedi Order's stance. In fact a book in the new canon has Luke hearing that, laughing it off, and then getting into a relationship with someone 10 minutes later.

The Rey Kenobi theory is valid, but it also goes against everything Obi-Wan stood for. He was a staunch follower of the old jedi order to the point where he experienced the same temptations as Anakin in the Clone Wars, but let them go by not becoming romantically involved with someone he loved even though he had chances. A thought that I just read explains why Obi Wan was heard during the lightsaber flashback/vision. Both of what Obi Wan and Yoda said in that scene were lines said to Luke in the OT. (Yoda's "Surrounds us...Binds us" when he's talking about the force and Kenobi's "These are your first steps" were said in ANH after Luke blocks the bolts from the trainer)

And really the Kenobi theory is based on the fact the he is the one that speaks in the force vision. Which you could also say of Yoda and no one is saying the Yoda is Rey's father.

At this point there is too much pointing to Rey being Luke's daughter that if she's anyone, she will be Luke's daughter or no one. There's too many hoops you would have to jump through to explain another origin.

The other oddity of that would be why would Obi-Wan be hiding out as a hermit at the beginning of ANH if he had family?

Just asking:

What is the deal with Jedi and marriage and/or procreating? If it is bad, where do little Jedi come from.

Unfortunately, midichloreans are canon, and explain force sensitivity which explains capability of being a Jedi

Just asking:

Unfortunately, midichloreans are canon, and explain force sensitivity which explains capability of being a Jedi

Mini-chamelions are cannons?

Daisy Ridley said in a December interview that Rey's parents are "obvious" after watching The Force Awakens.

As someone who loves this movie possibly more than is healthy and needs to be stopped from talking nonstop about it, here I go talking nonstop about it some more:

I think the best interpretation of this is that Rey's parents are nobodies who will play no role in this trilogy. Half of this is my strong, personal desire to this happen, and I'm barely restraining myself from writing a novel about why again :D

The other was the fairly pivotal scene at the movie's inflection point, in Maz Kanata's castle. Maz is having a heart-to-heart with Rey after she experiences the lightsaber vision. She tells her point-blank: "You know in your heart, whomever you're waiting for is not coming back. But there's still someone who can."

Rey says, "Luke!" as Maz nods. (This exchange seemed a bit forced, as Finn would have been a far lesser leap of an answer. The clunkiness only underscores its narrative importance to me.)

Rey has spent her whole life stubbornly counting the days to her parents' return. She's so singularly devoted to this purpose she hasn't spared the effort to figure out a more efficient tally system. She spends the first half of the movie resisting repeated, increasingly serious suggestions for her to move on and get away from Jakku. This is Maz telling her to let go of the trauma of her past, and Rey (starting to) accept it. By the end of the movie she's started to embrace it.

That is Rey's journey. It's thematically beautiful and one of the many reasons I adore TFA. It loses a lot of its weight if her arc turns into a discovery of predetermined significance derived from her Big Deal parents.

• Fire 1

By the way, on the Skywalkers: Kylo Ren is a one, and if Rey isn't, he's likely the last of the Skywalker line. The story of this trilogy may be a passing of the torch in the infinite battle between dark and light; the last Skywalker fails to carry on the legacy but a new hero rises through her own nature and not genealogy. I'm sure Disney intends to milk much more from Star Wars at some point, and moving on from The Skywalker Chronicles would be an important task to accomplish at some point. There's no greater opportunity than now.

A little about Jedi love, Kenobi's love interest is now canon and so is her death at the hands of Darth Maul, whose comic book-like survival-as-fanservice is also canon. :( Hope all of this doesn't bleed too much into the main movies.