Michael Jordan: GOAT

Mavric

Landlord,

I never said Jordan wasn't capable of those kind of dunks, just that his dunks in competition were not close to what those kids were doing the other night... I seen a nicely done 2 minute video going back in forth between the Jordan/'Nique contest and the one the other night. You can't even compare the two. Anyone arguing differently is letting nostalgia alter their judgment....

Oh sure. Empirically they're not even close. But they were just as wow factor given the context of their time and environment as the ones last weekend are today. Vince Carter probably still had the most jaw-dropping "holy sh#t" enducing dunk contest performance in history, but even his dunks from 2000 don't hold up to what we see these days.

Landlord,

I never said Jordan wasn't capable of those kind of dunks, just that his dunks in competition were not close to what those kids were doing the other night... I seen a nicely done 2 minute video going back in forth between the Jordan/'Nique contest and the one the other night. You can't even compare the two. Anyone arguing differently is letting nostalgia alter their judgment....

Oh sure. Empirically they're not even close. But they were just as wow factor given the context of their time and environment as the ones last weekend are today. Vince Carter probably still had the most jaw-dropping "holy sh#t" enducing dunk contest performance in history, but even his dunks from 2000 don't hold up to what we see these days.

Ah, Vinsanity.... I remember thinking "what the hell did he just do" when he put his arm in the rim.... Good times.

Another thing that sometimes doesn't get mentioned was Jordan's ability to command the court and get everyone on the same page. Think about the personalities on that team. Pippen could have gone off and been his own star on a team but he was willing to play second fiddle to Jordan. Then, you throw in someone like Dennis Rodman....Really? Jordan and Phil Jackson (not going to down play his part) were able to keep that team focused and playing at an amazing level.

• Fire 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

One way to look at this is that both Jordan and Lebron have played a major part in the make up of the team around them.  While both are amazing basketball players that any team would love to have.....Jordan so far did a much better job of helping put the team together and play together.  

He was a coach on the floor and even though he had to get in some player's faces at times, he almost always did it in a manner that made the team better.

Now, if I were Lebron right now, I would be extremely frustrated.  But....dude....you picked the team.

• Plus1 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Everyone knows about Michael Jordan’s obsessive love for golf and a little action on his rounds. His gamedays during the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona often included 36 holes played during the morning … and dominating the hardwood in the evening. Apparently wasn’t just an Olympics thing.

Fellow elite athlete and avid golfer Jeremy Roenick recently told an epic story of golf with Jordan during the ’92 NBA season. According to Roenick on the McNeil and Parkins Show, 36 holes and a bunch of beers were nothing to keep Jordan from dominating that evening.

“‘Meet me at Sunset Ridge, early. We’re gonna go play 18 holes'” Roenick recalled Jordan saying. “We played a round, I beat him for a couple thousand and got ready to leave … Now, the Bulls are playing that night. They played Cleveland that night. I’m thinking he’s leaving, it’s 10 o’clock. He goes, ‘No, let’s go play again.’

“So we go and fill up a bag full of ice and Coors Light and walk again. We roll around another 18 and I take him for another couple [thousand dollars]. Now we’ve been drinking all afternoon and he’s going from Sunset Ridge to the stadium, to play a game. I’m messing around. I’m like, “I’m gonna call my bookie. All the money you just lost to me, I’m putting on Cleveland.’

“He goes, ‘I’ll tell you what. I’ll bet you that we’ll win by 20 points and I have more than 40 [points].’ I’m like, ‘Done.’ Son of a gun goes out and scores 52 and they win by 26 points or something.”

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
On 11/9/2019 at 2:34 PM, Mavric said:

This reminds me of a story from Andre Igoudala's book.   I had to reread it to make sure it wasn't Jordan, but apparently playing drunk is a thing for the NBA.

One game, I was warming up, stretching on the floor during the pregame, and a player from the other team came over to me. This was a guy I had known for years. He was a great character and a great player. Maybe even a Hall of Fame one day. Time will tell. Anyway, this was toward the end of the season, when the playoff seedings had long been decided, and what we were about to embark on was, essentially, a meaningless game. Situations like this can be hard. You're either exhausted and wishing you could rest up for the playoffs or you're already thinking about where you're going to play golf in the off-season. The main thing is you don't want anyone to get hurt in a game like this. You want everyone to keep it cool. But sometimes you get a rookie or two in there playing hard. trying to show their worth off the bench, and now all of a sudden guys are banging around for no reason at all. You have to play. I reached out my hand to dap this guy up and he didn't take it. Instead he leaned in real close to me, opened his mouth and exhaled into my nostrils so I could smell his breath. He smelled, honestly, like an entire frat party had taken place in his mouth.

"What the f*$%?" I said, laughing.

"Yo, I'm drunk as f*$% right now."

I couldn't believe it. This dude was wasted. All I could think of was that I was going to have a good game whenever I ended up guarding him, because we were going to win this one going away.

Tip-off happened and it was a different story entirely. This man turned into Drunken Master. As good as he was sober, he was ridiculous this night. He was lightning the floor entirely up, knocking in threes, scoring from every single direction. Shaking, baking, dunking, really kind of making us look stupid. He torched us plain and simple. I know he's never done anything like that before or since, but if I played that well drunk, I don't know if I'd ever stop. I still laugh when I think about that. Sometimes basketball is a real headache. But after it's all said and done, it's still just a game.

• 2 weeks later...