Michael Jordan: GOAT

Mavric

When I watch Lebron play, I'm impressed.  The guy is an amazing athlete/BB player.  

However, noway do I get the same feeling as when I used to watch Jordan.  Some of this stuff is amazing.

What I think is that Lebron is a freak because of his size and what he can do.  Seriously, a guy his size that is basically the point guard a lot of the time?

But, for absolute freakish stuff, a little smaller guy with as much or slightly more athleticism is amazing to watch.....wow.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
11 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

When I watch Lebron play, I'm impressed.  The guy is an amazing athlete/BB player.  

However, noway do I get the same feeling as when I used to watch Jordan.  Some of this stuff is amazing.

What I think is that Lebron is a freak because of his size and what he can do.  Seriously, a guy his size that is basically the point guard a lot of the time?

But, for absolute freakish stuff, a little smaller guy with as much or slightly more athleticism is amazing to watch.....wow.

Lebron will never have the invincibility, larger than life mythology, or uncompromising killer instinct of Michael.

I would say though that he's the most physically gifted basketball player ever, and maybe not the smartest ever, but smarter than Michael. His IQ on the court is absolutely unreal, he's like a savant playing chess. Michael was no slouch, but the same thing that made Michael great also made him not quite as cunning; his ego/competitiveness.

12 hours ago, Landlord said:

Lebron will never have the invincibility, larger than life mythology, or uncompromising killer instinct of Michael.

I would say though that he's the most physically gifted basketball player ever, and maybe not the smartest ever, but smarter than Michael. His IQ on the court is absolutely unreal, he's like a savant playing chess. Michael was no slouch, but the same thing that made Michael great also made him not quite as cunning; his ego/competitiveness.

I'm baffled that you think Lebron is a smarter basketball player than Jordan.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm baffled that you think Lebron is a smarter basketball player than Jordan.  

It's mostly that he has a legitimate photographic memory and can recall entire games possession by  possession, and often knows his opponents sets and plays better than they do. That combined with being a better passer/more point guard esque player. 

Not trying to "prove" the point just offer context behind not thinking its unreasonable.

14 hours ago, Landlord said:

It's mostly that he has a legitimate photographic memory and can recall entire games possession by  possession, and often knows his opponents sets and plays better than they do. That combined with being a better passer/more point guard esque player. 

I can't remember how old you are.  Are you old enough to have watched both?

5 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I can't remember how old you are.  Are you old enough to have watched both?

I didn't get to watch Jordan as an 'adult', but grew up watching his last threepeat and Wizards years from age 7-13 or something like that. Have watched a lot of games on youtube/espn classic/etc. though.

1 minute ago, Landlord said:

I didn't get to watch Jordan as an 'adult', but grew up watching his last threepeat and Wizards years from age 7-13 or something like that. Have watched a lot of games on youtube/espn classic/etc. though.

To me, it was so amazing to watch him play because it was clear that the entire game through his eyes was different than anyone else.  He knew every player's weakness and could exploit it.  And, he could sense when the opponent was vulnerable and put the dagger in them in a totally different way than anyone else.  That is an extremely rare talent which is why I find your comment interesting.

2 hours ago, Landlord said:

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

To me, it was so amazing to watch him play because it was clear that the entire game through his eyes was different than anyone else.  He knew every player's weakness and could exploit it.  And, he could sense when the opponent was vulnerable and put the dagger in them in a totally different way than anyone else.  That is an extremely rare talent which is why I find your comment interesting.

I think comparing the two across generations is tough. I remember interviews where Jordan's BB IQ was on full display. I don't for a second think that he couldn't dissect games the way Lebron does. 

I am biased as a Bulls fan, so I can't say who's better. Clearly I think MJ, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What I will say is, I have zero doubt you could switch MJ and Lebron's eras, and each would still dominate.  You put a 25-year-old MJ in the league today and he's going to have the same career.  Same with Lebron in the 1990s. They're superlative talents that can't be stopped. You game plan around them, that's all.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

9 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I think comparing the two across generations is tough. I remember interviews where Jordan's BB IQ was on full display. I don't for a second think that he couldn't dissect games the way Lebron does. 

I am biased as a Bulls fan, so I can't say who's better. Clearly I think MJ, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What I will say is, I have zero doubt you could switch MJ and Lebron's eras, and each would still dominate.  You put a 25-year-old MJ in the league today and he's going to have the same career.  Same with Lebron in the 1990s. They're superlative talents that can't be stopped. You game plan around them, that's all.

Totally agree.

Now....what I was being amazed at is how Zion was doing in his first year in the league.  It's really going to be interesting to see how his career develops.  You have a kid who is one year removed from playing HS basketball and at times it looked like 10 year veterans in the league had no clue how to stop him.

All three players are very different....but all three are amazing to watch.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Totally agree.

Now....what I was being amazed at is how Zion was doing in his first year in the league.  It's really going to be interesting to see how his career develops.  You have a kid who is one year removed from playing HS basketball and at times it looked like 10 year veterans in the league had no clue how to stop him.

All three players are very different....but all three are amazing to watch.

Yeah, he definitely could be in that MJ/Lebron mold.

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Jordan is no slouch. Still one of the smartest ever imo. But his game was more of a solo weapon of scoring and domination. That's not even close to all it was, but compared to Lebron, who's always embraced a more facilitating/floor general form of basketball, I'd probably give him the nod as far as being a mastermind manipulating the game around him. 

tbh Lebron is pretty much the head coach of every team he's on. He's never had the benefit of a Phil Jackson and subsequent system, and it shows with how every team he's ever left has completely fallen apart. 

Lebron and Jordan have different styles of play, and they are both very comparable in terms of overall talent, IMO. But what really set Jordan apart was his competitive fire. He didn't want to win, he needed to win, and would step on your throat when he had the chance. When it was time to take over a game, his sheer will became more powerful than his talent. 

Lebron is great, but his fire never burned the way Jordan's did. If the championship is on the line, you would want the ball in Jordan's hands 10 times out of 10 compared to Lebron. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1