Michael Jordan: GOAT

Mavric

8 minutes ago, Landlord said:

very entertaining so far, and pretty interesting that they've chosen to go with a wholesome MJ narrative

"I thought Scottie was being selfish" was the most entertaining part

EWBTxNjXkAM_6X0?format=jpg&name=large

Pippen made a bad decision to go with a 7-year deal.  Pippen wanted the long-term financial stability, rather than the ability make more during the mid-to-late 90s.  Jordan was playing on 1-year deals in his last few years with the Bulls.  Honestly, when he was making $30 million, he was underpaid for the value he brought to the team and NBA.

I think the future episodes will show how Jordan was so focused on winning, even if it meant alienating his teammates, or being viewed as a bad guy.

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, Landlord said:

very entertaining so far, and pretty interesting that they've chosen to go with a wholesome MJ narrative

"I thought Scottie was being selfish" was the most entertaining part

EWBTxNjXkAM_6X0?format=jpg&name=large

So you didn't really pay attention to the story or you're just choosing to cherry-pick parts of it?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
27 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Pippen made a bad decision to go with a 7-year deal.  Pippen wanted the long-term financial stability, rather than the ability make more during the mid-to-late 90s.  Jordan was playing on 1-year deals in his last few years with the Bulls.  Honestly, when he was making $30 million, he was underpaid for the value he brought to the team and NBA.

I think the future episodes will show how Jordan was so focused on winning, even if it meant alienating his teammates, or being viewed as a bad guy.

Pippen certainly had responsibility for his own deal. And he was being selfish. As someone should be in that scenario. It's humorous to see someone criticize someone else for being selfish while being/doing the same. 

Is talking about specific parts of a piece of entertainment cherrypicking? 

1 minute ago, Landlord said:

Pippen certainly had responsibility for his own deal. And he was being selfish. As someone should be in that scenario. It's humorous to see someone criticize someone else for being selfish while being/doing the same. 

Is talking about specific parts of a piece of entertainment cherrypicking? 

I don't get how Jordan was being "selfish" in this instance?  Are you saying Jordan is selfish because of his large salary?  Jordan's huge salary was permitted at the time due to the "Larry Bird rule" which allowed teams to sign their own free agents to salaries which would allow them to go over the salary cap (which was a soft cap in the NBA, at the time).  Jordan's salary didn't have any impact on the amount that Pippen could have made at the same time.

Jordan was criticizing Pippen's actions of doing the surgery and rehab during the season, when it could have been done in the summer.  If I was Pippen's teammate, I could see it as selfish, as Pippen was putting his own interests above the success of the team.  I could also see Pippen's point of view, and it was interesting to hear Phil Jackson agree with Pippen's actions.

Doing what you need to do in order to get the most money you possibly can as a professional athlete is selfish. And it's fine. Everyone puts their own interests above the success of the team.

"I'm a professional athlete trying to get as much for myself as I possibly can and I take issue with this other professional athlete tryiiing to get as much for himself as he possibly can" is just a silly argument. It's nothing egregious or serious it just made me chuckle.

1 hour ago, Landlord said:

Doing what you need to do in order to get the most money you possibly can as a professional athlete is selfish. And it's fine. Everyone puts their own interests above the success of the team.

"I'm a professional athlete trying to get as much for myself as I possibly can and I take issue with this other professional athlete tryiiing to get as much for himself as he possibly can" is just a silly argument. It's nothing egregious or serious it just made me chuckle.

That's not what Jordan was talking about.