WR Jamire Calvin [Washington State - Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

155 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well, I went and watched the tape. The dude has an electronic 4.49 and by God... if it was within the laws of physics to actually gain speed while making a cut, I'd tell you this kid could do it. Loses absolutely zero of the 4.49 while changing direction, the agility is pretty impressive. Seems to have good hands as well. Next freshman DPE on punt returns.

OK ... I guess I'll ask here then. Where did you see that time? Just curious.

It's posted on 247, beginning of March at a Nike camp he posted the 4.66 time, which is on his HUDL

Well, I went and watched the tape. The dude has an electronic 4.49 and by God... if it was within the laws of physics to actually gain speed while making a cut, I'd tell you this kid could do it. Loses absolutely zero of the 4.49 while changing direction, the agility is pretty impressive. Seems to have good hands as well. Next freshman DPE on punt returns.

It's posted on 247, beginning of March at a Nike camp he posted the 4.66 time, which is on his HUDL

Yeah, 4.66 which is not 4.49.

His 247 profile says 4.49

OK. That's what I was wondering. I don't trust numbers listed there. Others can believe what they want but those are prone to just be what somebody said they ran.

Since only a handful of WRs at the NFL Combine ran faster than that, I'm skeptical.

OK. That's what I was wondering. I don't trust numbers listed there. Others can believe what they want but those are prone to just be what somebody said they ran.

Since only a handful of WRs at the NFL Combine ran faster than that, I'm skeptical.

You will get no argument from me.

sorry, that's what I meant. 247 is where I was guessing Atbone got the 4.49 from. I'm guessing 247 hasn't updated their page and I agree why you don't post the 40s, unless you see it's been electronic. The 4.66 came from the Nike camp earlier his month and I'm assuming he didn't shave .17 seconds in that time.

I dunno where the 5'11" 170 numbers come from because at Nike sparq he measured in at 5'9" 144. Can someone tell me what they see in this kid? He just doesn't impress me. His 40 at the sparq was 4.6... So he's not a blazer either and is pretty small for our level of ball.

Usually you're pretty good about it, so I'm doubtful you didn't, but... you watched the film right? He's tearing it up and making people look stupid trying to tackle him. Also, apparently he's been destroying competition in the 7v7 circuit.

Yeah I've seen the tape. Watched all the videos on YouTube too, I agree he is a definite top talent as a returner, he is #3 in the nation, but I just question at this next level with all the improved speed if he will be a WR threat. I see he has a good change of direction and quick lateral movements, but I just feel we should take the bigger guy that has more mass and durability to him when we are on such highly rated guys right now. Why go for this 144lb guy when you can get a top 20 WR with the same speed and a lot more size and durability. Ameer was a really rare gem, so was Darian Sproles... This kid could turn out to prove my senses wrong, but I guess I'm just scratching my head that this is one of our #1 guys when we have this list of guys interested in us and only have a couple spots left at WR and its this early in the process.

#4 Joseph Lewis WR ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ CA

#5 Tyjon Lindsey WR ⭐⭐⭐⭐ CA

#19 Terrell Bynum WR ⭐⭐⭐⭐ CA

#36 Taariq Johnson WR ⭐⭐⭐⭐ CA

#42 Jamire Calvin WR ⭐⭐⭐ CA

#47 Maurice Bell WR ⭐⭐⭐ CA

#59 Nick Pickett ATH ⭐⭐⭐ CA

#58 Jeremiah Hawkins ATH ⭐⭐⭐ CA

Jeremiah holloman - ⭐⭐⭐ GA 6'4" 195

Tariq black - ⭐⭐⭐⭐ CT 6'4" 205

Keldrick Carper - ⭐⭐⭐⭐ LA 6'3" 175

Travis Jordan - ⭐⭐⭐ LA 6'3" 200

Taj capehart - ⭐⭐⭐⭐ VA 6'0" 175

Danny Davis - ⭐⭐⭐⭐ OH 6'3" 180

Kahlee Hamler - ⭐⭐⭐⭐ MI 5'9" 150

Jeff Thomas - ⭐⭐⭐⭐ IL 5'10" 165

I guess I could be wrong, but I'd assumed (or thought I heard) that 247 only posts official camp 40 times on their profiles. Maybe not.

I guess I'm confused because you're advocating rankings and size at the same time. Then, in other threads, suggesting we take a larger body that is ranked lower.

40 times are pointless unless they start doing individual splits. Besides, AA and DPE aren't that fast (according to the general perception of a 40 time) and they're great return guys. It's about vision not speed. AA ran a 4.64 at the combine after his senior season of college. AA was a hs track star in the 100m in Alabama. I'd imagine DPE probably runs around a 4.58.

• Fire 1

40 times are pointless unless they start doing individual splits. Besides, AA and DPE aren't that fast (according to the general perception of a 40 time) and they're great return guys. It's about vision not speed. AA ran a 4.64 at the combine after his senior season of college. AA was a hs track star in the 100m in Alabama. I'd imagine DPE probably runs around a 4.58.

Not trying to bust your balls or put words in your mouth either. I think speed is very important, but I agree that the 40 is overrated. It's a sufficient barometer for speed, but it doesn't tell how a kid can cut a corner or stop-and-start on a dime, the quick twitch movements.

Not trying to bust your balls or put words in your mouth either. I think speed is very important, but I agree that the 40 is overrated. It's a sufficient barometer for speed, but it doesn't tell how a kid can cut a corner or stop-and-start on a dime, the quick twitch movements.
It's fine. I could've worded it better. Vision, agility, and burst can often be a more important factor when it comes to 'football speed.' Recruiting services did a huge disservice to the 40 time years ago when they just took a recruits word for their time so every kid in a skill position ran a 4.3-4.5.

It's fine. I could've worded it better. Vision, agility, and burst can often be a more important factor when it comes to 'football speed.' Recruiting services did a huge disservice to the 40 time years ago when they just took a recruits word for their time so every kid in a skill position ran a 4.3-4.5.

You mean when every receiver was 6'5", ran a 4.3 and had a vertical jump of 40" wasn't a real period of time?

Well, something is amiss about that 40 time as 4.66 is SLOW. Period. Lots of HS players can run around 4.7. That is very average, unless your are a rush end or something. We want our LBs to run that or faster. I know everyone seems to want to dismiss the 40 but if it were so useless, they wouldn't bother with in at the NFL combines either. I personally feel a 10 and 20 yard dash time would be more useful but the 40 gives a good indication of overall speed and quickness and 'take to the house' speed. If a guy runs 4.7 he is just not fast enough to play WR, wingback, I back, DB, Safety, etc. I'd like to see our DEs run no slower than that. Our LBs in 4.5 to 4.6 range or even better if possible. We know these times are mostly handhelds and 'electronic' may be a tenth or so higher. That's fine. I didn't watch the video and maybe he looks great and is very elusive but the bottom line is - he is really too small at 144 lbs. He needs to add 50 lbs. That is NOT going to help him reduce his 40 time and likely reduce his quickness. Just my opinion.

I guess I could be wrong, but I'd assumed (or thought I heard) that 247 only posts official camp 40 times on their profiles. Maybe not.

I guess I'm confused because you're advocating rankings and size at the same time. Then, in other threads, suggesting we take a larger body that is ranked lower.

I listed the guys with offers interested in us and wanting to visit, I didn't say I would take any of them. My point was a couple of things (1) I believe bigger bodies are more durable and harder for db's to intercept due to wingspan/etc. if you can find a fast one with leaping ability and good hands, it gives you a mismatch advantage. With us moving to this west coast NFL type system with QB's who throw well, it's helpful to have the megatron or the Keyshawn johnson big bodied guy. You're not going to necessarily beat Ohio state with speed, they have it, but you can mismatch their 6'1" DB's with a taller, longer WR. All I'm saying is we have several bigger guys with similar speed to Jamire who are higher ranked and want to visit campus because they have serious interest. The odds and ceilings are higher to grab a next level prospect (NFL) with a bigger guy who can put that stamp on the program like Suh did for the DT spot. You just take more risk with taking a smaller guy, that is all. It doesn't mean it can't work, it just means it is a little less likely to work.

2) If you only have 22-23 spots in this class and have the biggest momentum in school history with wide receiver interest, do you take the small 3* guy and then have to take a spot away from another position like OL, DT, or DE to grab a Joseph Lewis or Tyjon Lindsay when we do desperately need guys at those other positions and are loaded two deep at WR? I'm just saying we could literally haul in a nationally ranked top 5 receiving class this year... It's the year to shoot for the stars and dream the big one because we are in the top 2 with some of those.

• Mavric unlocked this topic