Nebraska High School Players - Class of 2018

Mavric

On a kind of related note, all the money they've dumped into Burke over the years and they can't do any better than manual boards for field events.

Slackers.

There hasn't been a cent dumped into Burke in over 20 years for facilities. We are in the middle of our first renovation to the building since the 1990s. The stadium hasn't had a significant upgrade since its construction, and Burke gets $0 to host the meet.

NSAA keeps all profits and provides those boards while Burke provides free labor in the form of teachers being forced to prepare and work the meet and student volunteers.

Yeah, that's nowhere near the case. Just on a quick google search, it got Rosenblatt's old video board in 2012. Field turf was replaced in 2007. Pretty sure the timing system has gotten a couple updates in that time.

Plus here's an article from 2008:

Jon Renner has striped plenty of tracks, but the Denver contractor admits that he's never had a challenge like the one he finished this week at Burke Stadium."I've done full-blown NCAA competition tracks and tracks for world championship meets," Renner said. "Those tracks haven't had as many marks as this one. There were so many races that had to be marked in not just one but two directions so they could run either way depending on the wind."

Saturday's Burke Relays will be the first event on the new surface in the facility that will host the May 16 and 17 state high school meet. The USA Track and Field National Junior Olympics also are scheduled to return to Burke on July 22 through 27 .

The stadium now also has a synthetic football surface and scoreboard similar to those used for the Drake Relays and indoor meets at the University of Nebraska. Total cost of the renovation is just more than $2 million.

The scoreboard is "a beauty," Burke girls coach Bill Scarborough said.

"They tested it last week and taught people how to type in messages and upload results," he said. "It's huge, and it will display all eight times in a race within seconds of the end of the race."

Bob Danenhauer of the Omaha Public Schools said the new scoreboard is 36 feet wide and 27 1/2 feet tall and can be upgraded in the future to show live video. For now fans will be able to view nearly instant results on the 12-by-14 screen, as well as finish line photos that can be loaded into the system.

Other Improvements

- A practice lane on the inside of the track that runners can use for warmups. It's expected to help reduce wear and tear on the inside two lanes.

- A new chute in the southeast corner of the track allows 300-meter hurdle races to start on the east straightaway and gives athletes a place other than the infield to check in.

- Only one finish line. A second one used to be in place for the 300 hurdles, but the reconfiguring of the track made the second line unnecessary.

- A storage building with Internet access and room for football and track equipment was built near the south gate.

- A second high jump apron has been added at the south end of the track, and the girls pole vault runway and pits have been relocated to the north end zone area.

- The four long jump and triple jump pits have been rebuilt, and sand traps surround each pit so sand from shoes doesn't get on the track.

Yeah, that's nowhere near the case. Just on a quick google search, it got Rosenblatt's old video board in 2012. Field turf was replaced in 2007. Pretty sure the timing system has gotten a couple updates in that time.

Jon Renner has striped plenty of tracks, but the Denver contractor admits that he's never had a challenge like the one he finished this week at Burke Stadium."I've done full-blown NCAA competition tracks and tracks for world championship meets," Renner said. "Those tracks haven't had as many marks as this one. There were so many races that had to be marked in not just one but two directions so they could run either way depending on the wind."

Saturday's Burke Relays will be the first event on the new surface in the facility that will host the May 16 and 17 state high school meet. The USA Track and Field National Junior Olympics also are scheduled to return to Burke on July 22 through 27 .

The stadium now also has a synthetic football surface and scoreboard similar to those used for the Drake Relays and indoor meets at the University of Nebraska. Total cost of the renovation is just more than $2 million.

"They tested it last week and taught people how to type in messages and upload results," he said. "It's huge, and it will display all eight times in a race within seconds of the end of the race."

Bob Danenhauer of the Omaha Public Schools said the new scoreboard is 36 feet wide and 27 1/2 feet tall and can be upgraded in the future to show live video. For now fans will be able to view nearly instant results on the 12-by-14 screen, as well as finish line photos that can be loaded into the system.

Other Improvements

- A practice lane on the inside of the track that runners can use for warmups. It's expected to help reduce wear and tear on the inside two lanes.

- A new chute in the southeast corner of the track allows 300-meter hurdle races to start on the east straightaway and gives athletes a place other than the infield to check in.

- Only one finish line. A second one used to be in place for the 300 hurdles, but the reconfiguring of the track made the second line unnecessary.

- A storage building with Internet access and room for football and track equipment was built near the south gate.

- A second high jump apron has been added at the south end of the track, and the girls pole vault runway and pits have been relocated to the north end zone area.

- The four long jump and triple jump pits have been rebuilt, and sand traps surround each pit so sand from shoes doesn't get on the track.

I forgot about the track resurfacing in 2008, but that is literally something every stadium has to do. Funny thing is, it had bubbles almost immediately just like before so it has to be replaced this summer (16 years my ass) and they are also doing it half-assed again because the NSAA doesn't pay for any of it and OPS does very little in athletic facilities for Burke. Never has. Every time Burke had raised money in the past, we were told we couldn't have it because it wouldn't look right because it is in West Omaha. I have taught and coached at 3 OPS schools and I can tell you from being at those and traveling to other schools for events Burke easily has facilities in the bottom 5 of all Class A schools in the state. I'm not talking out of my ass, I am a track coach at Burke. I know what I am talking about.

The Rosenblatt scoreboard was donated, by the way.

Edit: Timing system updated???? You obviously have no idea how track meets are timed. A company is hired that sets all of that up before the meet. None of that is in the stadium except for some poles at the finish lines to hang the company's cameras on.

Other Improvements

I forgot about the track resurfacing in 2008, but that is literally something every stadium has to do. Funny thing is, it had bubbles almost immediately just like before so it has to be replaced this summer (16 years my ass) and they are also doing it half-assed again because the NSAA doesn't pay for any of it and OPS does very little in athletic facilities for Burke. Never has. Every time Burke had raised money in the past, we were told we couldn't have it because it wouldn't look right because it is in West Omaha. I have taught and coached at 3 OPS schools and I can tell you from being at those and traveling to other schools for events Burke easily has facilities in the bottom 5 of all Class A schools in the state. I'm not talking out of my ass, I am a track coach at Burke. I know what I am talking about.

Edit: Timing system updated???? You obviously have no idea how track meets are timed. A company is hired that sets all of that up before the meet. None of that is in the stadium except for some poles at the finish lines to hang the company's cameras on.

Sadly, OPS treats Burke like crap...

A lot of people know why that is and hopefully it starts to change but I doubt it will.

And any teacher that had to work with "Dr." Frison...I am sorry for you and I hope that you are still in one piece.

Other Improvements

I mean ... with all due respect you obviously didn't know what you were talking about because it took me two minutes on google to find several examples of upgrades that have been done within the time frame that you said nothing had been done. I thought the scoreboard was donated but there would have been other expenses that would have gone into that as well unless there were donations for that as well.

I haven't been to the state meet in several years and couldn't find a program. They used to list the improvements that have been done. I don't have a very recent copy but there is usually a pretty good list.

And I do know exactly how track meets are timed. I timed 10 of them myself this year. I didn't know what the setup was at Burke but thanks for assuming.

Hey, class of 2018 kids from Nebraska!!

Bryson Williams story is about over. And Nebraska fans (myself included) aren't going to be happy...

I'm pretty happy with Maspry.

^^^ This. Masry is the better prospect of the 2 and Iowa will get the consolation prize of Williams. They wanted Masry and lost.

• Fire 1

Anyone know anything about Kearney Catholic's Matt Masker? Sam was impressed at FNL

Two quarterbacks — Council Bluffs Lewis Central’s Max Duggan and Kearney Catholic’s Matt Masker — didn’t miss much of a beat.

Masker, a 2018 prospect, is a little shorter than Duggan, but he throws the ball well. He has a fluid motion and throws with pace, before a receiver finishes his break. I know it’s a camp setting, but I’ve watched a lot of in-state quarterbacks throw in recent years — scholarship guys and walk-ons alike. Masker, at least in a camp, threw as well as or better than any of them. In some cases, Masker is well ahead of quarterbacks you’d heard much more about before their senior years. If he doesn’t go FCS, he’s going to walk on at some FBS program and make some coach pretty happy.

Our Super Six is pretty close to set because there are so many FBS scholarship guys in the state. Two of them — Cam Jurgens and Masry Mapieu — are committed to Nebraska already. But Masker, without even an FCS offer to this point, may belong in that top six. If he played Class A in Omaha — say, at Bellevue West or Omaha North — I don’t think there’d be much question about how good he is.

• Fire 2

Anyone know anything about Kearney Catholic's Matt Masker? Sam was impressed at FNL

Two quarterbacks Council Bluffs Lewis Centrals Max Duggan and Kearney Catholics Matt Masker didnt miss much of a beat.

Masker, a 2018 prospect, is a little shorter than Duggan, but he throws the ball well. He has a fluid motion and throws with pace, before a receiver finishes his break. I know its a camp setting, but Ive watched a lot of in-state quarterbacks throw in recent years scholarship guys and walk-ons alike. Masker, at least in a camp, threw as well as or better than any of them. In some cases, Masker is well ahead of quarterbacks youd heard much more about before their senior years. If he doesnt go FCS, hes going to walk on at some FBS program and make some coach pretty happy.

Our Super Six is pretty close to set because there are so many FBS scholarship guys in the state. Two of them Cam Jurgens and Masry Mapieu are committed to Nebraska already. But Masker, without even an FCS offer to this point, may belong in that top six. If he played Class A in Omaha say, at Bellevue West or Omaha North I dont think thered be much question about how good he is.

Can't remember where I heard it but I thought I heard we might try and take this guy as our "QB" in the class as a walk on. Would be pretty happy if that was the case.