Let's talk about Islamophobia

zoogs

Good chance he's lying about the reason. He's a youtube prankster. Reports from some people on the plane he said something in arabic and his friend said 'say it louder' and he did and that's when he got in trouble. If I had to guess he was trying to get kicked off the plane so his video would go viral and for the exposure. Already faked videos about being profiled by police and sneaking people onto airplanes through luggage.

• Fire 2
  • 4 months later...

Thought-provoking article. It makes strong points and I’m curious to hear any rejoinders you guys have. I can’t find any at the moment. Of course, my own views on religion have me somewhat on the other side of this (as it applies to any religion, including Christianity). I do consider secularization worthy of celebration.

‘The liberal fascination with Islam-lite’: https://muftah.org/liberal-fascination-islam-lite-humanizing-muslims-industry/#.WSGxvhPytBz

Farsad’s desire to break the so-called Muslim binary—of “pious” versus “extreme”—is problematic because it involves throwing conservative Muslims under the proverbial bus. By subtly implying that the religiously conservative and the violent extremist are both equally contemptible categories, Farsad leaves us with only one conclusion: that Muslims who are fully assimilated into the habits and customs of mainstream liberal culture are the “normal” ones.

Notably, Farsad’s article is part of a broader phenomenon, which I have previously referred to as the Humanizing Muslims Industry. Simply put, this “industry” involves making the Muslim palatable to Western audiences by identifying her with mainstream liberal norms—instead of the orthodoxy of Islamic ethics—and thereby secularizing the very idea of what it means to be a Muslim.