Spring Position Battles - Quarterback

Mavric

Yes, they were out of formation. The coaches and carter talked about it after the game.

FYI, I'm fine with the hire and like Riley's demeanor if not his system. What I don't like is the vilification of the past staff, the different standards imposed on each, and the scapegoating of players to justify the failures of this past season.

Also, for the record, i didn't bring up Illinois. As I recall, it was (and often is) brought up as an example of what a "lack in football IQ" that Armstrong allegedly suffers from.

In reality, the mismanagement at the end of the game was far more indicative of coaching struggles than Armstrong struggles.

• Fire 2

Langsdorf on senior quarterback Tommy Armstrong's spring: "Overall, it was pretty good. There's been some times when we've turned the ball over. We've just got to learn to eliminate those throws, those bad decisions, inaccurate throws. But I think he's got a much better handle of what we're doing. He's much more comfortable than this time last year, for sure."

OWH

Yup, coaches made some mistakes in that game.

Is it impossible for you to admit Tommy made a lot of mistakes?

He made no more than a standard number that most players make, including a number of guys who made a similar mistake on that play. Again, he was going for a first down on 3rd and 7 with a minute left. I don't think it's as boneheaded as you are painting it.

Now, the mistake the coaches made was boneheaded, and it was a nonstandard error.

What exactly is this standard number of errors that most players make?

Standard? Probably 4 to 6 per game, of varying degrees of consequence.

And who came up with this "standard"?

Vilify huh cm? Drama queen. Whether you like it or not most fans will forever remember Bo accurately which is as a narcissistic a-hole with inadequate HC acumen to keep his job.

Scapegoating huh cm? That pass he threw (that he shouldn't have), he threw because he always makes live fire decision mistakes he could see it was the most open, simple, short pass target he's ever seen. Then he choked it.

• Fire 2

Passing when a run was called is a "standard mistake"?

In all fairness the terminology on the play itself was confusing and has since been corrected. You are correct that a run play was called by the coaches. Due to some issue with the terminology used (I forget what it was exactly) some of the players thought it was a pass play.

Vilify huh cm? Drama queen. Whether you like it or not most fans will forever remember Bo accurately which is as a narcissistic a-hole with inadequate HC acumen to keep his job.

Scapegoating huh cm? That pass he threw (that he shouldn't have), he threw because he always makes live fire decision mistakes he could see it was the most open, simple, short pass target he's ever seen. Then he choked it.

If Bo could have gotten along with his bosses he would probably still be our coach. Its your job (not you personally) to get along with your boss because if you don't you will find yourself out of a job sooner rather than later.

He made no more than a standard number that most players make, including a number of guys who made a similar mistake on that play. Again, he was going for a first down on 3rd and 7 with a minute left. I don't think it's as boneheaded as you are painting it.

Now, the mistake the coaches made was boneheaded, and it was a nonstandard error.

Basing that off of what a lot of guys did in terms of grades at Nebraska and when I was playing. Perfect assignment games were very very rare.

• Fire 2

Passing when a run was called is a "standard mistake"?

In all fairness the terminology on the play itself was confusing and has since been corrected. You are correct that a run play was called by the coaches. Due to some issue with the terminology used (I forget what it was exactly) some of the players thought it was a pass play.
The play call was a pass play with a "run designation" (i.e., it was "tagged" run). That's the point of confusion. That last word of designation was either dropped or missed by the team.
  • Fire 2

Accusations of narcissism from a guy that is sporting the poster boy as his avatar. That qualifies as irony, I think.

And Armstrkng doesn't "always make live fire mistakes." Quit making sh#t up about our player to excuse a poor sequence by the coaches.

• Fire 2

If Bo could have gotten along with his bosses he would probably still be our coach. Its your job (not you personally) to get along with your boss because if you don't you will find yourself out of a job sooner rather than later.

Lucky for (most of) us that Bo hated SE and couldn't didn't hide it.

• Fire 1

As I said before, plenty of blame to go around for that play, both players and coaches. But none if it seems like ineptitude to me as much as it seems like a cascading series of bad breaks (players getting the play wrong, coaches not noticing in time to call a time out, TA not taking the sack, Ozigbo not being able to catch the ball that was slightly behind him). Anyone of those 4 things go right, then Nebraska probably wins the game, but all 4 went wrong.

But to me, it seems pretty unfair to assign inordinate amounts of blame on the coaches for not calling a timeout in response to the wrong formation, as you can clearly see the players are still rushing to get to the line right before TA snapped the ball. It's not like they were just sitting there in formation, waiting for him to snap it, they were just breaking the huddle with 6 on the play clock and getting to the line with 3. Here's the link again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcZ5ovK30G0?t=2h13m53s

EDIT: watching it once more, I can't help but think that TA thinks he's going to be handing the ball off to Ozigbo. Look at the way he shifts the ball awkwardly between hands to throw it. Maybe we'll never know what really know for sure what happened on that play.

• Fire 1

Accusations of narcissism from a guy that is sporting the poster boy as his avatar. That qualifies as irony, I think.

And Armstrkng doesn't "always make live fire mistakes." Quit making sh#t up about our player to excuse a poor sequence by the coaches.

He makes live fire mistakes nearly every game.

I would agree, the coaches certainly could have done better, but Tommy could've as well.

• Fire 1

Basing that off of what a lot of guys did in terms of grades at Nebraska and when I was playing. Perfect assignment games were very very rare.

So its just some bs you made up?

• Fire 1

As I said before, plenty of blame to go around for that play, both players and coaches. But none if it seems like ineptitude to me as much as it seems like a cascading series of bad breaks (players getting the play wrong, coaches not noticing in time to call a time out, TA not taking the sack, Ozigbo not being able to catch the ball that was slightly behind him). Anyone of those 4 things go right, then Nebraska probably wins the game, but all 4 went wrong.

But to me, it seems pretty unfair to assign inordinate amounts of blame on the coaches for not calling a timeout in response to the wrong formation, as you can clearly see the players are still rushing to get to the line right before TA snapped the ball. It's not like they were just sitting there in formation, waiting for him to snap it, they were just breaking the huddle with 6 on the play clock and getting to the line with 3. Here's the link again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcZ5ovK30G0?t=2h13m53s

EDIT: watching it once more, I can't help but think that TA thinks he's going to be handing the ball off to Ozigbo. Look at the way he shifts the ball awkwardly between hands to throw it. Maybe we'll never really know for sure what happened on that play.

On 3rd and 7 Tommy has a wide open Ozigbo and he can't deliver the pass in front of his receiver. If he does that, its 1st down Nebraska and game over for Illinois.

If Tommy does his job on 3rd and 7 none of the rest of this matters. I don't expect Tommy to be perfect but if we're going to dissect the coaching performance then there is nothing wrong with dissecting the players performance either.

• Fire 4