Spring Position Battles - Cornerbacks

Mavric

Ready to bust out? Anderson and Lee. Both were four-star recruits from Colorado in the class of 2015. Don't be surprised if they quickly work their way into the mix.

Health report: Aaron Williams — who has played both safety and nickel — likely will miss the first couple of weeks of spring practice following recent surgery on a knee. Reed, who played well in the bowl game, will miss the entire spring after undergoing offseason knee surgery.

LJS

In a secondary hoping to make significant strides this spring after a roller-coaster 2015, Jones, a junior from Jacksonville, Florida, is penciled in as the No. 1 “field” or wide-side corner. On the opposite side of the defense, junior Joshua Kalu from Houston is the No. 1 “boundary” corner, where coaches will count on him to be more active against the run.

“Being able to set an edge and the tone over there, that’s what the coaches look for in the boundary corner,” Kalu said.
Kalu’s personality comes through in a magnetic smile and a joke or two. Some levity helps build bonds off the field, Kalu said, and earns the trust of teammates.
But Kalu has a deep respect for Jones’ no-nonsense approach. He’ll try to adopt more of it in 2016.
“Something about last year just got me a little complacent,” said Kalu, who still started all 13 games, had 75 tackles, three interceptions and even a sack. “Before that, me and Chris would just be angry at the world if one person caught the ball on us, and he’s still like that. And I’m working to get back to where I was before, and I see it, myself getting mad about the little things.”
Which is good, Kalu said.

OWH

I know this is spring battles.

I won't be surprised if Lamar Jackson beats Kalu out the second he gets here.

Funny how everyone forgets Lee and Anderson.

Anderson's a safety now and I believe Atbone95 was referring to the fact Jackson was recruited to play boundary corner and that's the position Kalu plays. Is Lee a boundary corner too?

Anderson's a safety now and I believe Atbone95 was referring to the fact Jackson was recruited to play boundary corner and that's the position Kalu plays. Is Lee a boundary corner too?
Not sure we know yet, but both of them are here for Spring Ball and LJ is not, not to mention that both have had a full season + in the program. I have seen stories saying Anderson is still at CB so if he has moved, then I missed it. I just get tired of everyone claiming that the incoming Fr. Are going to supplant so and so when in reality it is rare.

Not sure we know yet, but both of them are here for Spring Ball and LJ is not, not to mention that both have had a full season + in the program. I have seen stories saying Anderson is still at CB so if he has moved, then I missed it. I just get tired of everyone claiming that the incoming Fr. Are going to supplant so and so when in reality it is rare.

Anderson is at S.

It isn't rare. Is it rare at Nebraska? Maybe. It's not rare.

Lamar is rated significantly higher than Anderson ever was, and is rated a full .01 above Lee's best ranking. Rankings aren't everything, but Lamar is the best defensive talent the team has brought in in a while, since Randy Gregory. He was recruited with a specific position in mind, and he's damn good at that one position. Freak athlete. I apologize for being excited about the best defensive player we've brought in the past 4 years.

Anderson is at S.

It isn't rare. Is it rare at Nebraska? Maybe. It's not rare.

Lamar is rated significantly higher than Anderson ever was, and is rated a full .01 above Lee's best ranking. Rankings aren't everything, but Lamar is the best defensive talent the team has brought in in a while, since Randy Gregory. He was recruited with a specific position in mind, and he's damn good at that one position. Freak athlete. I apologize for being excited about the best defensive player we've brought in the past 4 years.

I see where Anderson is going to get a look at S this spring, but it sounds like that was more due to a lack of depth this Spring with Reed and AW out and they want to see what Anderson might bring. Will be interesting to see where he is put for Fall Camp.

I have no issue with you being excited, but frankly I get tired of people proclaiming that the True Fr. Is going to start day 1 over established Jr.'s and Sr.'s. Those players were recruited as well, have had 3-4 years to learn how to play in college (especially the speed of the game that is much faster than HS), learn the scheme, get their bodies molded by a first rate strength and conditioning program, and not have to adjust to balancing college class work with football and learning/adapting to a whole new environment all the while being a long ways from home without going home in a few days for the first time in their life. Can we just let the young man get here and acclimated first? CJ was extremely highly rated and he didn't just come in and start from day one at DB. I am not sure I remember a player at NU ever doing that at CB/S.

I see where Anderson is going to get a look at S this spring, but it sounds like that was more due to a lack of depth this Spring with Reed and AW out and they want to see what Anderson might bring. Will be interesting to see where he is put for Fall Camp.

Anderson was mostly being looked at as a Safety in high school be we had him start out at corner.

Given the relative depth at corner, I bet he stays at safety.

Is something going on with coach Stewart? Damon Benning today when talking on the radio show made it seem that HCMR was unhappy with Stewart. Citing things HCMR stated during his spring press conference about the Defensive Backfield and break downs. DB made is sound like HCMR was unhappy with some of the coaching the backfield was receiving.

Is something going on with coach Stewart? Damon Benning today when talking on the radio show made it seem that HCMR was unhappy with Stewart. Citing things HCMR stated during his spring press conference about the Defensive Backfield and break downs. DB made is sound like HCMR was unhappy with some of the coaching the backfield was receiving.

I was listening to Benning too, and I took it as Damon was saying that Riley isn't going to shy away from saying what areas need improvements and where mistakes were made. Riley allows his assistant coaches to have autonomy within their position groups and how they coach their guys if you will. However, with that autonomy that Riley gives, he also expects a high level of accountability and will say when his standards aren't being met. It is similar in his praise of Trent Bray, in that Bray has clearly been accountable, so Riley has made sure that Bray has gotten credit for that.

• 4 weeks later...