Spring Position Battles - Running Backs

Mavric

Rex Burkhead was never an elite running back, referencing the OP. The only folks who ever thought this were dyed in the wool husker fans. Of which I am one, but you have to be real. Burkhead wouldnt have made 3rd team on the 95 squad. He is a great guy! He was a solid back. He was a great leader by example. BUT he was not an elite running back.

Rex was legit. You are crazy. He wasn't an elite runner, but was really good in ALL areas. That made him elite.

Rex was solid. Not elite. Bo Jackson was elite. Herschel Walker was elite.

Regardless of how much PT he is receiving he has lasted 4 years now in the NFL. As a RB that isn't easy to do if you play the percentages. Of course he isn't Bo Jackson. He almost had 4,000 total yards at Nebraska on an offense that wasn't pretty. I'd take that all day

Well, he's more of a special teamer than running back these days. And I was speaking of the word "elite." I think it has been misused here.

Rex Burkhead was never an elite running back, referencing the OP. The only folks who ever thought this were dyed in the wool husker fans. Of which I am one, but you have to be real. Burkhead wouldnt have made 3rd team on the 95 squad. He is a great guy! He was a solid back. He was a great leader by example. BUT he was not an elite running back.

Rex was legit. You are crazy. He wasn't an elite runner, but was really good in ALL areas. That made him elite.

Regardless of how much PT he is receiving he has lasted 4 years now in the NFL. As a RB that isn't easy to do if you play the percentages. Of course he isn't Bo Jackson. He almost had 4,000 total yards at Nebraska on an offense that wasn't pretty. I'd take that all day

Well, he's more of a special teamer than running back these days. And I was speaking of the word "elite." I think it has been misused here.

Hard to compare Rex to Bo Jackson. They are vastly different RBs. Bo was elite by most measures. But he only played three years in college (injured his soph year). His NFL career was cut short by injury also after only four years. His NFL career probably wasn't worth the first overall pick that he cost Al Davis. Even so, Bo had better total stats than Rex. Both in college and the NFL. And then there's the Heisman. I don't think Rex finished in the top 10 in Heisman voting. But it'd be hard to find a player of higher character than Burkhead. Rex is a great RB/ST player who always shows up and contributes. Bo was an elite athlete when he was healthy. That's my take.

I think wilbon is the best guy we have right now. The reason he isn't playing is two fold. (1) he couldn't learn the offense last year. Never got it down and never knew the assignments like he should. (2) he sucked at pass protection, and you have to have that in this offense.

The guy who can pass protect and know the offense will play over the guy who is the most talented. Newby's problem was hesisitancy to hit the hole and the ability to get yards after contact. He went down like a rag doll when a couple of ppl got on him. Ozigbo isn't great at anything but he's decent at everything and well rounded. If he loses 10lbs and gains some speed and leg strength he could be a lot better this year. Personally, I think there's a good chance Tre Bryant comes in and plays. He can do it all decently well but is a little faster and shifter than Ozigbo.

Bryant hasnt touched the ball yet.....

I like Ozigbo at this weight. I just hope he gains more muscle. The "lose some weight" thing wasted a year of imani's career

agree, he should play at his natural weight.

The reason I made the weight comment is because he was a little pudgy and too slow. I'm not saying a lot of weight. I'm thinking lose 5-10lbs of fat. If he converts it to muscle, great.

I think wilbon is the best guy we have right now. The reason he isn't playing is two fold. (1) he couldn't learn the offense last year. Never got it down and never knew the assignments like he should. (2) he sucked at pass protection, and you have to have that in this offense.

The guy who can pass protect and know the offense will play over the guy who is the most talented. Newby's problem was hesisitancy to hit the hole and the ability to get yards after contact. He went down like a rag doll when a couple of ppl got on him. Ozigbo isn't great at anything but he's decent at everything and well rounded. If he loses 10lbs and gains some speed and leg strength he could be a lot better this year. Personally, I think there's a good chance Tre Bryant comes in and plays. He can do it all decently well but is a little faster and shifter than Ozigbo.

Bryant hasnt touched the ball yet.....

I like Ozigbo at this weight. I just hope he gains more muscle. The "lose some weight" thing wasted a year of imani's career

agree, he should play at his natural weight.

The reason I made the weight comment is because he was a little pudgy and too slow. I'm not saying a lot of weight. I'm thinking lose 5-10lbs of fat. If he converts it to muscle, great.

Have to disagree here. I think he moves quite well for his size.

• Fire 1

Spring snapshot: Adam Taylor draws praise for positive approach
By STEVEN M. SIPPLE / Lincoln Journal Star
<snip>
"He's one of those guys that, as the (2015) season went on — even though he wasn't playing at running back — he found other niches," said Riley, referring to Taylor's work on special teams. "And I like guys like that — those guys who redirect their energy when it's not working out exactly as they want.

Some of us thought Taylor would be the next great Husker running back. Never happened. I sure would like to see him get some carries, and see what he can do.

<snip>
"He's one of those guys that, as the (2015) season went on — even though he wasn't playing at running back — he found other niches," said Riley, referring to Taylor's work on special teams. "And I like guys like that — those guys who redirect their energy when it's not working out exactly as they want.

Some of us thought Taylor would be the next great Husker running back. Never happened. I sure would like to see him get some carries, and see what he can do.

Good GAWD, Riley give Taylor a chance and some meaningfull touches in spring ball ... he might just surprise you. He is big enough, strong enough, fast enough, doesn't hesitate in hitting the hole, doesn't go down like a wet kleenex, and certainly doesn't have any quit in him, has stayed loyal to the Husker Nation, was the 2013 Scout Team Offensive Player of the Year. What else does a player have to do to get an opportunity to carry the rock . He may not fit your template you would like to have as a RB in your pass happy west coast offense you want to have ... but that is talent being wasted. Kind of like clock management ... find a way to make it work for you. Don't let Nebraska be the place where talent goes to die. And Adam can pass pro with the best of them. By the way ... anyone know how much Adam is bench pressing lately??? Anyone know???

<snip>

<snip>

Good GAWD, Riley give Taylor a chance and some meaningfull touches in spring ball ... he might just surprise you. He is big enough, strong enough, fast enough, doesn't hesitate in hitting the hole, doesn't go down like a wet kleenex, and certainly doesn't have any quit in him, has stayed loyal to the Husker Nation, was the 2013 Scout Team Offensive Player of the Year. What else does a player have to do to get an opportunity to carry the rock . He may not fit your template you would like to have as a RB in your pass happy west coast offense you want to have ... but that is talent being wasted. Kind of like clock management ... find a way to make it work for you. Don't let Nebraska be the place where talent goes to die. And Adam can pass pro with the best of them. By the way ... anyone know how much Adam is bench pressing lately??? Anyone know???

I came here for the entertainment I knew I'd find in the above post.

Hay guys. 4 years ago when Adam Taylor was 18 he could "pass pro with the best of them" against NFL-caliber Texas high school players. He should be the starter.

I'm guessing he'll get every chance to prove his worth and then if God forbid he's not the starting running back you'll call out our team again.

• Fire 3

<snip>

<snip>

I came here for the entertainment I knew I'd find in the above post.

Hay guys. 4 years ago when Adam Taylor was 18 he could "pass pro with the best of them" against NFL-caliber Texas high school players. He should be the starter.

I'm guessing he'll get every chance to prove his worth and then if God forbid he's not the starting running back you'll call out our team again.

Be easy on kbbccandyman. The guy has been waiting for 4 years to see AT show his stuff. And it doesn't help when every offseason we hear from the media how great of a player AT is. I'm still holding hope that he can be a solid back for us. He is a big man with an aggressive running style. I don't know how much his injuries have limited him but I always thought he could have been a contributor based on his HS film.

Rex seemed faster his senior year. It is a pity he got hurt.

Hard to compare Rex to Bo Jackson. They are vastly different RBs. Bo was elite by most measures. But he only played three years in college (injured his soph year). His NFL career was cut short by injury also after only four years. His NFL career probably wasn't worth the first overall pick that he cost Al Davis. Even so, Bo had better total stats than Rex. Both in college and the NFL. And then there's the Heisman. I don't think Rex finished in the top 10 in Heisman voting. But it'd be hard to find a player of higher character than Burkhead. Rex is a great RB/ST player who always shows up and contributes. Bo was an elite athlete when he was healthy. That's my take.

Jackson was drafted first overall in the 1986 NFL Draft by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The Raiders got him with a 7th round pick after they agreed to let him play baseball. The Bucs management didn't believe Jackson when he said he would not play for them. Jackson could not play his senior year of baseball because of a visit to the Bucs. Jackson believed that the Bucs knew this would make him ineligible, and that the Bucs lied to him about it. IMO, Bo was the best RB to ever play the game. Too bad he had such a short career.

Jackson was drafted first overall in the 1986 NFL Draft by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The Raiders got him with a 7th round pick after they agreed to let him play baseball. The Bucs management didn't believe Jackson when he said he would not play for them. Jackson could not play his senior year of baseball because of a visit to the Bucs. Jackson believed that the Bucs knew this would make him ineligible, and that the Bucs lied to him about it. IMO, Bo was the best RB to ever play the game. Too bad he had such a short career.

Right you are. Then I guess he definitely wasn't worth the first overall pick the Bucs spent on him. Not a bad deal for a 7th round pick though.

All I'm saying is give Adam the opportunity to be successful carrying the rock. So far Riley has not done that. Adam has done everything he has been asked to do. Ask some of the starters on defense about Adam ... they had to face him when Adam was on scout team. WOW ... that would take too much common sense.

Explain to me why he hasn't seen the field if you think he's so great. I'm sure the coaches just must be missing something, right? I feel for the kid but these coaches aren't dumb. If he deserved the time, he'd get it. We had a redshirt freshman and a true freshman play last year for Christ's sake. I really hope he turns it on this year because I'd hate to have him leave here without making an impact.