Hillary and the classified emails

DOJ grants immunity to ex-Clinton staffer who set up email server

Bryan Pagliano, a former Hillary Clinton staffer who helped set up her private email server, has accepted an immunity offer from the FBI and the Justice Department to provide an interview to investigators, a U.S. law enforcement official told CNN Wednesday.

The FBI has been asking for Pagliano's cooperation for months as dozens of investigators pored over thousands of Clinton emails in a secure room on the fourth floor of FBI headquarters.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/02/politics/hillary-clinton-email-server-justice-department/index.html

If she was an average citizen, she'd have already been thrown in jail without bail. There's definitely some shady stuff going on, because the guy goes from not talking at all, to taking an immunity deal. You don't take a deal like that if you did nothing wrong.

• Fire 1

I'm not going to come off as some type of HIllary superapologist here, because the waters are very murky. But I still feel like the line "If she was an average person, she'd already be in jail" is a bit partisan.

General Petraeus plead down to a misdemeanor and got 2 years probation and a fine. What he did was arguably worse, because he straight up handed classified information to his mistress.

There exists the possibility that Pagliano plead the fifth on the advice of counsel, the FBI doesn't have anything to go on at this point, and were forced to offer immunity in order to try to dig up new dirt.

We're not really privy to what's going on.

• Fire 1

I read an article today, if I find the link I'll share, that explained that this probably means the FBI and DOJ have no case against Hillary.

Here's why:

1. Most witness are encouraged by their attornies to plead the 5th, if possible, in front of Congressional hearings because of the obvious bias in the line of questions (from either parties). You have to admit, the panel would be out for blood if he had to answer any and all questions.

2. If he were to talk to the FBI or DOJ without immunity and on his own accord without immunity, he would be required by law to testify in front of Congress or be held in contempt. He would basically relenquish his right to "plead the 5th".

3. If he would be guilty of anything, the DOJ would offer immunity as part of a plea deal or they would actually press charges and arrest him. This isn't part of a plea deal.

edit: added link to Forbes article

• Fire 1

You're right, but treason is a very different offense than misusing an email server to do your job.

After a few times is it really "misuse". I "misused" a hammer a few times and I hit my thumb. I don't misuse a hammer anymore.

I'm assuming it wasn't a several-time mistake. It was just one big dumb mistake at the beginning that someone (Clinton or others) should have seen as a big dumb mistake. It's not like she was told after the 3rd e-mail that it was big and dumb.

She was told before the first...just like everyone with a job/email/computer

Just like Powell and Rice then? I don't think they had near as many emails, but hey.....misuse is misuse, right?

Hang'em all? (if the penalty for treason is still death, of course)

It is not (think it was stopped in 1990)...but prosecute them all, yes. Wrong is wrong, right?

Just like Powell and Rice then? I don't think they had near as many emails, but hey.....misuse is misuse, right?

It is not (think it was stopped in 1990)...but prosecute them all, yes. Wrong is wrong, right?

If a crime was committed, yes.

If a crime was committed, yes.

Amen!

And...if it was a "rule" with their/her job...they should use the consequences they have in place.

I'm having trouble with the calibration on this darned moral compass.....

On one hand, cheating is okay if you can get away with it and others are doing it. But on the other hand, people who misuse their work email should be killed. Feel like I'm standing directly on one of the planet's poles watching this thing spin wildly.

• Fire 2