OU to B1G? Media Friend Says There Are Talks

Well that's the beauty of the 16-18 team conference. It looks bigger, but really it is smaller.

By having two 9 team divisions you have the same 8 conference oponents every season. It's more like the old Big 8 champion taking on the old Big Ten champion in a post season showdown.

Well that's the beauty of the 16-18 team conference. It looks bigger, but really it is smaller.

By having two 9 team divisions you have the same 8 conference oponents every season. It's more like the old Big 8 champion taking on the old Big Ten champion in a post season showdown.

I've thought this for a long time. If you have 9 team divisions, you basically will end up with two 9 team conferences that are tied together to have their champions play each other at the end of the year. I like it.

Then, those championship games are basically the first round of the playoffs.

I've thought this for a long time. If you have 9 team divisions, you basically will end up with two 9 team conferences that are tied together to have their champions play each other at the end of the year. I like it.

I think that is truly the direction we are headed, maybe even expanding conference play to 10 games at some point down the road.

The MAC, Sun Belt, AAC, and C-USA should already be considering this idea.

I think that is truly the direction we are headed, maybe even expanding conference play to 10 games at some point down the road.

I'm not sure I would be for 10 team conference play. I like the non-conference games. It give you some variety from season to season.

Now....saying that....if everyone is going to keep scheduling one good team and 3 little school for the blind, then we might as well be playing one or two more conference games.

Oklahoma and a Texas school is ideal for B1G expansion. More money there compared to OU and Kansas

Except that Delaney is keen on making the B1G *THE* collegiate basketball conference of note, and adding Kansas would pretty much put an exclamation point on that. And unless you're talking Texass 'proper', then no...there's no Texas school that would overcome what Kansas can bring re: basketball.

And we know (as this has been covered in other threads on this board) that Kansas is willing to hop in bed with whomever provides a good deal and doesn't have to get state blessing (or K-State's blessing, for that matter). We know this from when Kansas almost went to the Big East back in 2010 when it looked like the Big XII was toast. Plus, the B1G has already done its homework on Kansas (per the OWH article), and likely isn't going to start from scratch if it doesn't have to.

As for Okie Lite, their legislature is going to be presented with a scenario of either Oklahoma being tethered to Okie Lite and being drug down in a flailing Big XII, or they can cut the cord and let Okie Lite sink or swim on its own, and allow Oklahoma follow its goal of improving its academic cache substantially--something the school President has stated as a goal for the University and one that a move to the B1G would help facilitate.

As for the GOR that is likely preventing this from happening already, a media friend of mine pointed out if there's no Big XII, then there's no GOR. If Oklahoma, Texas (Pac-12), and Kansas all have homes, and they help find homes in the AAC or Mountain West for enough schools to get a majority (e.g. Iowa State, K-State, Tech), then there will be enough votes there to dissolve the conference, and the GOR is gone.

Kinda underhanded, I know...but then again, the Big XII was nothing but the SWC II--Electric Boogaloo from its inception and how the conference handled itself.

---

Someone just forwarded me a tweet where FrankTheTank also said that OU to the B1G is very likely, but suggests that FSU to the B1G would be a welcome grab. Don't know how realistic that is with the ACC's moves of late...but if they legally break the GOR (instead of dissolving the conference), then it's a moot point.

UConn would be just as big of a get as KU with regards to basketball. Plus there are 1 million more people living in Connecticut as Kansas. And arguably a better football program. And UConn isn't part of a mega conference.

So I just don't get the love fest for Kansas.

I would disagree about UConn being on the same page as Kansas relating to basketball respectability, unless you are talking women, then you might have a point but for the men's side, not close IMO. Yes, UConn has a more populated base in which it operates from but Country wise, I would argue that basketball fans would recognize KU as one of the top 3 recognized and reveled institutions!

And let's be honest here--Kansas actually has won a BCS bowl compared with UConn...

Or Nebraska, for that matter...but let's not go down that rabbit hole... :-|

How can you forget about the 99 Fiesta Bowl!!!

• Fire 1

Oklahoma and a Texas school is ideal for B1G expansion. More money there compared to OU and Kansas

Except that Delaney is keen on making the B1G *THE* collegiate basketball conference of note, and adding Kansas would pretty much put an exclamation point on that. And unless you're talking Texass 'proper', then no...there's no Texas school that would overcome what Kansas can bring re: basketball.

And we know (as this has been covered in other threads on this board) that Kansas is willing to hop in bed with whomever provides a good deal and doesn't have to get state blessing (or K-State's blessing, for that matter). We know this from when Kansas almost went to the Big East back in 2010 when it looked like the Big XII was toast. Plus, the B1G has already done its homework on Kansas (per the OWH article), and likely isn't going to start from scratch if it doesn't have to.

As for Okie Lite, their legislature is going to be presented with a scenario of either Oklahoma being tethered to Okie Lite and being drug down in a flailing Big XII, or they can cut the cord and let Okie Lite sink or swim on its own, and allow Oklahoma follow its goal of improving its academic cache substantially--something the school President has stated as a goal for the University and one that a move to the B1G would help facilitate.

As for the GOR that is likely preventing this from happening already, a media friend of mine pointed out if there's no Big XII, then there's no GOR. If Oklahoma, Texas (Pac-12), and Kansas all have homes, and they help find homes in the AAC or Mountain West for enough schools to get a majority (e.g. Iowa State, K-State, Tech), then there will be enough votes there to dissolve the conference, and the GOR is gone.

Kinda underhanded, I know...but then again, the Big XII was nothing but the SWC II--Electric Boogaloo from its inception and how the conference handled itself.

---

Someone just forwarded me a tweet where FrankTheTank also said that OU to the B1G is very likely, but suggests that FSU to the B1G would be a welcome grab. Don't know how realistic that is with the ACC's moves of late...but if they legally break the GOR (instead of dissolving the conference), then it's a moot point.

UConn would be just as big of a get as KU with regards to basketball. Plus there are 1 million more people living in Connecticut as Kansas. And arguably a better football program. And UConn isn't part of a mega conference.

I would disagree about UConn being on the same page as Kansas relating to basketball respectability, unless you are talking women, then you might have a point but for the men's side, not close IMO. Yes, UConn has a more populated base in which it operates from but Country wise, I would argue that basketball fans would recognize KU as one of the top 3 recognized and reveled institutions!

And let's be honest here--Kansas actually has won a BCS bowl compared with UConn...

Thank you. I was reading and was like "how is nobody correcting this?" Then I refreshed the page. +100 for you!

I'm not sure I would be for 10 team conference play. I like the non-conference games. It give you some variety from season to season.

Now....saying that....if everyone is going to keep scheduling one good team and 3 little school for the blind, then we might as well be playing one or two more conference games.

Yeah that's why I'm thinking the move to 10 conference games is immenent, 1 strong OOC team and 1 patsy OOC team. Mind you this is probably another 10 years down the road.

But 16-18 teams could be here in another 2-3 years. I think the Big Ten moves first if the OU thing picks up steam. If they do grab OU and KU maybe they are happy. If not I think they go East and try for 2 more teams out of UConn/Vurginia/NC State/WVU

Not that its going to happen but you all do realize that UConn played in a BCS bowl too right? 2011 Fiesta Bowl against OU. UConn also has something like 22 players in the NFL. Saw a graph on twitter that said they'd have the 3rd most players on NFL rosters in the Big 12.

And I'm not sure how you can say UConn hoops isn't on the level of Kansas hoops when they've literally won 4 championships since 1999, which is more than KU has won in 130 years or however long they've been playing basketball. Gampel Pavillion is one of the best spots to see a game in college basketball. Damn shame the state won't build them a top notch facility on their campus due to some politics

CT also continues the "NYC" idea that Delaney is pushing. KU does none of that. Be objective here. Just because we used to be in a conference with Kansas doesn't mean they'd be a better choice for the B1G than UConn. I haven't even mentioned the top notch men's soccer team, the field hockey team that won a national title in 2014, and the women's lacrosse team that won a Big East title either last year or the year before (both?). Plus UConn plays hockey in the hockey east and Delaney has wanted to develop hockey for additional BTN programming. UConn is also a top 20 public school in the country, something like 57th overall in USNWR.

UConn would be a fantastic add with VT or OU.

UConn shouldn't have been in that Fiesta bowl in my opinion, but I digress...

This isn't a debate on who we all persobally feel is better. It's a forum of what is more likely, right now that is OU then maybe KU. If we decide to go East, I bet UConn gets a call.

Cincy is the first domino to fall. I heard their AD speak at a conference in February (great guy, amazing speaker - was not shy about sharing what the state of his program is). Stated multiple times that it's his job to make sure he gets out in front of conference realignment and that they're actively looking to better their situation.

Cincy is the first domino to fall. I heard their AD speak at a conference in February (great guy, amazing speaker - was not shy about sharing what the state of his program is). Stated multiple times that it's his job to make sure he gets out in front of conference realignment and that they're actively looking to better their situation.

I assume that means either the ACC or Big 12 is actively courting them.

---

Thank you. I was reading and was like "how is nobody correcting this?" Then I refreshed the page. +100 for you!

Sorry about that. Meant to say won a BCS bowl most recently--I've typed it in other threads and just forgot to follow through on the thought. My bad.