2016 RPI

I'm not going to complain about any wins but I am worried about how well this style of winning will translate as the season progresses. I'm not sure we can count on scoring 8-9 runs every game to get wins. If we can, that would be awesome. But the way our pitching has been so far, I'm not sure how we'll hold up if we aren't scoring as well.

:(

I thought the RPI was simply a calculation using a formula based on who you have played and won and loss.

Is this a voted on thing? If not, coming from behind..etc. shouldn't matter.

The RPI isn't a voted thing. You are right in that it's a calculation, based on who you have played, your record, and your opponents' records.

I don't get why people are freaking out over 2 comeback wins against Illinois. A win is a win, especially in baseball. It's a 9 inning game for a reason. Did people want to take away the Royals' World Series title last year because of all their comeback wins?

Comparing coming from behind against Illinois to coming from behind against ANY pro team is just plain silly.

This conversation is silly. Illinois is a middle of the road big ten team. They won a series against another big 10 team that is in the top 3rd of the standings. Not sure how that is any different then one pro team that is above average winning by coming from behind against a team in their division that is a few spots lower in that same division. Who scored x amount of runs in which inning has zero weight when it comes to RPI rankings.

Middle of the road Big 10 team is nothing! Who cares if they won a series against Penn State, Penn State has an RPI worse than Nebraska. Actually Illinois and Penn State are 92 and 95 RPI wise. not much difference. Both are lack luster teams.. PSU has won 5 out of 11 games against top 100 teams. Illinois, 2 games better (7-13)

but hey, PSU is 12-0 against 201+ teams.

Funny thing, Michigan is now has an RPI of 28, but is 2-6 against top 50 teams, though they are 3-0 against 51-100 teams.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I am (really) a little dyslexic. My apologies for thinking mavric was being a "Debbie Downer" for starting a thread called 2016 RIP, as he was declaring the season dead and it should "Rest in Peace". I thought maybe Michigan State won the rubber game and mavric fell to pieces. :blink:

• Fire 1

Looking at the current RPI rankings, the top 20 are ALL from the South and Texas (including Louisville). UC Santa Barbara, Arizona and Cal St Fullerton are all in the 20's.

Does this mean that all of the regionals will be in the South? (and likely the Super-Regionals, too) If true, is this the first year there were no West Coast/ Southwest regionals? Or has this been a trend for awhile?

Not a great look for the B1G and P12.

Looking at the current RPI rankings, the top 20 are ALL from the South and Texas (including Louisville). UC Santa Barbara, Arizona and Cal St Fullerton are all in the 20's.

Does this mean that all of the regionals will be in the South? (and likely the Super-Regionals, too) If true, is this the first year there were no West Coast/ Southwest regionals? Or has this been a trend for awhile?

Not a great look for the B1G and P12.

The big ten has been beating itself up, and a 20 loss team could win the PAC 12. I'm sure there will be some regionals in the West coast or southwest. Just depends on the conference tournament