OWH: Perlman Leaves NU with Complicated Legacy

Trump...is that you?

Close enough for dealing with the likes of Perlman.

Maybe Nebraska can leave an empty space in the trophy case in honor of the AAU accreditation that was lost under Harvey's watch.

He can't be blamed for that. The rules for membership were unfairly stacked against NU from the beginning.

Truth. And they still are. It's not that NU doesn't spend enough research money, its how that money is counted by the AAU. Much of what NU spends on research doesn't even count towards the amount the AAU required its members to spend. If everything NU spenDS on research was counted we would never have gotten the boot.

It is his job, to see the writing on the wall and avoid ambushes. We got ambushed on his watch.

No ambush. This threat has been known for years, and UNL has been on borrowed time. The other members finally got tired of making exceptions for us.

HP: "We have known we were at risk of this for ten years, and successfully fought off a similar threat in 2000," Perlman said. "I had hoped our extraordinary accomplishments and steep trajectory would have made us less vulnerable, but the AAU's approach to the review made this result inevitable."

Not looking to discuss UNMC being in Omaha and most of our food research being at UNK... Writing on the wall, maybe just call them all UN like many other Big Ten Schools do to avoid this issue,

I don't see the logic in restructuring our university/tradition just to appease a bunch of uppercrusts that have a biased view of agriculture research and land-grant institutions, and hypocritically value research trajectory but ignore that UNL's research expenses growth as a percentage was the 7th largest among all AAU members. Being an AAU member may look good on a resume, but there are no tangible privileges that come with it.

but guess he was too busy micromanaging football which he knows nothing about.

Truth.

I can agree with this post, however it was still frustrating. Then again after I did my last year at UNO I was a UNO separatist prior to killing there team a few years later. (wanted a Nebraska State - in hind site foolish it was great for me I could take classes anywhere any semester.) In hind-site it is a great system however I wish we eliminated all the Chancellors or what ever they are called now after UNO embezzlement problem. (main reason UNO separatist supporter was the embezzlement I thought no one is really watching out student dollars we need in house management and clean house. I just wanted better oversight rather that from Lincoln one boss or a separate university I did not care just the three bosses all separate seemed to create a culture of embezzlement.

As to the ambush I hate to cite it but 9-11 we had briefs going back to Clinton that an airplane attack was immanent yet I would still say Bush failed, on the airplane attacks. (I am and continue to be a Bush supporter)

As to ag research I truly do not understand the bias - I know it is there but if we have another dust bowl will there theoretical physics feed the children or them? That just makes me angry.

If there were any splinters of the bridge between Pelini and Nebraska left and Perlman's statement burned those splinters up, then I have zero problems with Harvey's statement.

Perlman is known for trying to make jokes all the time, I suspect that's all this was as well.

Of course to those who dislike Perlman, this molehill will be made into the Rocky Mountains.

It should have never been said. Take the damn high road. Instead, he stooped to a childish level and comes off petty, while making the university look stupid.

That's what the national story on his comments are.

Trump...is that you?

Close enough for dealing with the likes of Perlman.

Maybe Nebraska can leave an empty space in the trophy case in honor of the AAU accreditation that was lost under Harvey's watch.

He can't be blamed for that. The rules for membership were unfairly stacked against NU from the beginning.

Truth. And they still are. It's not that NU doesn't spend enough research money, its how that money is counted by the AAU. Much of what NU spends on research doesn't even count towards the amount the AAU required its members to spend. If everything NU spenDS on research was counted we would never have gotten the boot.

It is his job, to see the writing on the wall and avoid ambushes. We got ambushed on his watch.

Not looking to discuss UNMC being in Omaha and most of our food research being at UNK... Writing on the wall, maybe just call them all UN like many other Big Ten Schools do to avoid this issue (oh wait we do, but we have to give them all sister names... because you know that makes sense), but guess he was too busy micromanaging football which he knows nothing about.

I used to live in Ottumwa Iowa, they have an "Iowa State satellite" there that did research on hydraulics. (lots of dams, they dint call it ISU at Ottumwa, they called it ISU.)

Under him because some grads would be angry instead of saying Unv of Nebraska 'satellite' in Omaha or Kearney we kept our out dated system and outdated formal structure of power, I know it is the boards ultimate fault (unv not ours obv) but someone should of been screaming bloody marry and he was not. I know that would be taking power from the 2 other campuses but ult it hurt the university. Consolidate the bureaucracy.

I hope most of you realize Nebraska as recent as the 50s to the 60s was considered the Harvard of the Midwest... We have had a long and deep tradition of being respected at football & academics (recent in times of dynasty and fading, as well as academics...) Out of high school I was a barely legible idiot. Now I am just a dumb legible idiot I thank UN for that. They have my eternal thanks and gratitude and my loyalty, when in high school no one would thought I would have gotten my doctorate. Nebraska has my thanks, they had several 'path ways to success' free unlimited tutoring on any subject with TA and with open door policies on the teachers I used it all... Several teachers at UNK UNO and UNL changed my life UNK I took online some however still as available on phone or internet messaging, great staff losing this rating was a slap in the face to all of them.

F Perlman F Penn State and Northwestern. (they are who petitioned to get us out)

That is all.

Ummm.....UNL has research facilities in various parts of the state.

This entire AAU issue is a load of cow manure.

Like I said...https://twitter.com/sbnationcfb/status/717383562572337152Way to make us look stupid Harvey.

If Bo Pelini didn't want to be made fun of maybe he shouldn't have given them the ammunition. I simply don't see this as a huge deal, more like a tiny anthill.

This isn't about defending Pelini. He may very well deserve what he gets.

It's about Harvey embarrassing the university by stooping to Pelini's level, and calling him out by name nonetheless, and drawing more attention to an issue that most want to put behind them.

• Fire 6

Like I said...https://twitter.com/sbnationcfb/status/717383562572337152Way to make us look stupid Harvey.

If Bo Pelini didn't want to be made fun of maybe he shouldn't have given them the ammunition. I simply don't see this as a huge deal, more like a tiny anthill.

It's about Harvey embarrassing the university by stooping to Pelini's level, and calling him out by name nonetheless, and drawing more attention to an issue that most want to put behind them.

Yep, agree 100%...Perlman should have kept his mouth shut and I see why people want to bad mouth him for that but no one has really given me an actually answer on why the have such distain for the man.

• Fire 1

Yep, agree 100%...Perlman should have kept his mouth shut and I see why people want to bad mouth him for that but no one has really given me an actually answer on why the have such distain for the man.

Did you read the 3 embedded cornnation links in post #17? That probably hits the highlights

• Fire 2

If you read the thread I think people make plenty clear. But, I will post my reason again since you missed reading it. One huge reason is his total lack of really knowing anything about athletics and football but instead of deferring choices about athletic related things he was power hungry and wanted to be the man so he meddled and meddled and has taken our athletics to a big, big low. Too much ego to just realize and admit athletics were not his thing and defer it to someone who actually knows something. But no, lets instead just make us a laughing stock over your entire tenure.

• Fire 2
ahh yes. The classic AAU finger point that has been explained and rehashed 13,000 times on this board. f#*k me.

For the 13,001st time, then, Nebraska lost by two votes and everybody agrees Perlman didn't / wouldn't / couldn't put up a persuasive debate but instead pouted by himself. Here are excerpts from an article chronicling the fiasco http://chronicle.com/article/Ouster-Opens-a-Painful-Debate/127364/:

"Over the next day and a half, Mr. Perlman became increasingly isolated..."

"Mr. Perlman skipped the reception at the posh hotel in Georgetown."

"At 6 p.m. that evening, the presidents were bused off to dinner. Mr. Perlman did not accompany them, opting instead to dine alone."

It sounds like he fought like a demon for Nebraska at the meeting, doesn't it???

Not to mention he had how many years to address the problem and bring up Nebraska's standing before the actual vote, but instead he was farking around with football.

Rebuttals?...because I have yet to hear a good one in all the years as to why Nebraska let this happen.

• Fire 2

Interesting article.

And yet people still defend the guy as though he was a gifted leader for the University.

A friend was a student of his at UVA. Said he was the classic law professor type, alienating half of the class while enjoyed by the other half. My friend enjoyed him. But that type of personality is awful in a leadership position.

My friend was shocked to hear Perlman had inserted himself into football. Said Perlman never struck him as the type who knew if a football was inflated or stuffed.

• Fire 1

ahh yes. The classic AAU finger point that has been explained and rehashed 13,000 times on this board. f#*k me.

For the 13,001st time, then, Nebraska lost by two votes and everybody agrees Perlman didn't / wouldn't / couldn't put up a persuasive debate but instead pouted by himself. Here are excerpts from an article chronicling the fiasco http://chronicle.com/article/Ouster-Opens-a-Painful-Debate/127364/:

"Over the next day and a half, Mr. Perlman became increasingly isolated..."

"Mr. Perlman skipped the reception at the posh hotel in Georgetown."

"At 6 p.m. that evening, the presidents were bused off to dinner. Mr. Perlman did not accompany them, opting instead to dine alone."

It sounds like he fought like a demon for Nebraska at the meeting, doesn't it???

Not to mention he had how many years to address the problem and bring up Nebraska's standing before the actual vote, but instead he was farking around with football.

Rebuttals?...because I have yet to hear a good one in all the years as to why Nebraska let this happen.

I don't know if he did or didn't I'm just going to throw this out there...

Why does the narrative have to be that he didn't even try? What if he did his campaigning beforehand via email and phone calls? (And that's just an example of how he might have done his due diligence.) He's intelligent enough to have done that imo. I personally don't think he shirked his duties in this area just because we didn't see him take care of that part of his business in public. I think it would be appropriate to take care of this type of thing privately.

If you read the thread I think people make plenty clear. But, I will post my reason again since you missed reading it. One huge reason is his total lack of really knowing anything about athletics and football but instead of deferring choices about athletic related things he was power hungry and wanted to be the man so he meddled and meddled and has taken our athletics to a big, big low. Too much ego to just realize and admit athletics were not his thing and defer it to someone who actually knows something. But no, lets instead just make us a laughing stock over your entire tenure.

Isn't the AD part of the Chancellor's job? If not, then fine we have a legitimate beef. If it is, then how is he meddling? We could argue that his "meddling" is just him doing his job. How well he is doing that job could be a 100 page thread all by itself.

I personally don't think he shirked his duties in this area just because we didn't see him take care of that part of his business in public.

Let's just say he didn't make the most of every opportunity presented. What other salesman / lobbyist wouldn't want to make his pitch face to face if he was guaranteed the chance, instead going with the tried a letter under the door and e-mail blast?

Anyhow, he's gone so I don't think any more discussion is needed. He was what he was.

• Fire 1

I personally don't think he shirked his duties in this area just because we didn't see him take care of that part of his business in public.

Let's just say he didn't make the most of every opportunity presented. What other salesman / lobbyist wouldn't want to make his pitch face to face if he was guaranteed the chance, instead going with the tried a letter under the door and e-mail blast?

Anyhow, he's gone so I don't think any more discussion is needed. He was what he was.

At what point does it go from salesmanship to begging? Once you've made your case, anything more will make me vote against you.