The Next Husker Controversy

Word is the biggest discrepancy is Epley used electronic timing while Dobson used hand-held timing. Obviously hand-held would be faster times.

That doesn't seem to have much to do with the "lifting records" that has mostly been thrown around. But if Dobson was still basically using Epley's Power Index it would affect the 10/40 yard times and the shuttle so it would be a lot easier to score higher.

There would be two options. Unless there is more to it, I don't know why the actual lifting records should be thrown out. But anything timed would be questioned. However, it's pretty standard to add 0.24 seconds to a hand-held time to convert it to the electronic equivalent. Depending on how detailed the records are, it wouldn't be that big of a deal to recalculate the Index Points.

Unless Epley is really being a stickler and saying that he doesn't really know if the times were correctly timed - perhaps the hand-held times could have been "infulenced" to get faster times.

I think that last paragraph is what sticks in the craw of those of us who don't see the old staff as evil incarnate. The implication is that the old S&C coaches were cheating to get records. I don't see that.

As to the handheld, I'd read the same thing, but not certain it's accurate that they didn't use electronics to measure. I know back in the 90s they used some electronics (eg, the pressure pad start, which could be gamed in its own way too), but those were much different than the lasers that are used today.

Should we just toss all records that were set prior to the use of the new sports lab equipment? I don't know. I don't think so. But what we shouldn't do is dissect out the 14 years that Boyd was away from the program.

• Fire 1

Word is the biggest discrepancy is Epley used electronic timing while Dobson used hand-held timing. Obviously hand-held would be faster times.

That doesn't seem to have much to do with the "lifting records" that has mostly been thrown around. But if Dobson was still basically using Epley's Power Index it would affect the 10/40 yard times and the shuttle so it would be a lot easier to score higher.

There would be two options. Unless there is more to it, I don't know why the actual lifting records should be thrown out. But anything timed would be questioned. However, it's pretty standard to add 0.24 seconds to a hand-held time to convert it to the electronic equivalent. Depending on how detailed the records are, it wouldn't be that big of a deal to recalculate the Index Points.

Unless Epley is really being a stickler and saying that he doesn't really know if the times were correctly timed - perhaps the hand-held times could have been "infulenced" to get faster times.

For the lifting records, perhaps it's not so much the act of the lift itself but more the training path? Maybe they were tested at different times or didn't quite go through certain training regimens Epley would've liked to see? I'm not a lifting expert but I imagine the hardcore S&C guys have very strict training guidelines.

Finally, a word on communication. There is an art to handling disagreement and conflict, and if you ask me, my wife, my daughter, my parents, my brothers or my friends, I’m not the master of it. We all have things to learn in this area.

This includes NU’s athletic department, which didn’t have the best week in this regard.
A flap over erased-but-now-restored training records — a flap exacerbated by a few former players and the public Twitter support of current players — could have been better managed, and perhaps avoided entirely, with more sensitivity and clarity.
I now have a pretty good handle on the differences between old records and the “standardized” ones going forward, and it’s complex at best and convoluted at worst. I’m not sure it met the bar of pushing reset on all the records and, if it did, the players affected should have known why beforehand.

OWH