Huskers win 8-7 and take the series.

Looking for the sweep tomorrow at 1:05

This is what worries me about the team. Leads keep getting squandered and games closer than they should be.

Though I suppose it's just a lot of worry until we start ending up on the wrong side of these 1-run wins, right?

Do we not have the arms or is it the coaching? It seems like our pitching has been the weakness the past 5 years or so.

Chestnut gets the k as I type this.

I think Ted Silva needs to be reevaluated once the season is over.

We have walked more people this year than last year and it's our veteran pitchers who are doing it. This should fall on the pitching coach....Ted Silva

Do we not have the arms or is it the coaching? It seems like our pitching has been the weakness the past 5 years or so.

We have walked more people this year than last year and it's our veteran pitchers who are doing it. This should fall on the pitching coach....Ted Silva

We have the veterans, however we need some of the younger pitchers to pick it up.

So 1/2 a season outweighs all of the great work Silva has done over the past few years? Sometimes staffs hit rough patches, good pitching coach or not, I trust Silva to help them find a way out of it.

Huskers win 8-7 and take the series.

Looking for the sweep tomorrow at 1:05

This is what worries me about the team. Leads keep getting squandered and games closer than they should be.

Though I suppose it's just a lot of worry until we start ending up on the wrong side of these 1-run wins, right?

They had a 4 run lead in the top of the 9th and good leads through out the game from the 5th on. The issue was giving up 3 multi run HRs, including the 3 run shot in the 9th to make it close.

Silva's staffs put up 3.50 and 3.12 ERAs the last two seasons. Pitching has not been a chronic weakness before.

Do you know what our ERA was during our top 10 rankings?
Not sure as there were a couple of different periods to look at. However the team ERA last year of 3.12 was 24th best nationally and the team ERA in 2014 of 3.50 was 79th best. That is pure ERA rankings, I would have to search for an adjusted ERA that accounts for level of play faced.

--edit--

A key discussion point would seem to be how good does the team ERA need to be to get into post season play. 2014 at 3.50 was 79th best nationally, yet they got into the dance. Last year they were in the top 25 in ERA and didn't make the cut. Right now their national ranking is 144th at 4.55 out of 295 teams in DIV 1. Just dropping their ERA by a half run would put them inside the top 100 and upper 1/3 of teams. Combine that with a good offense that is well inside the top 25 percent of teams and I think they will be well positioned to have a pretty good 2nd half and year on top of a decent 1/2 already.

BA - .302, 44th nationally

Runs per game - 6.7, 69th nationally

Other Big Ten Series:

Minnesota beats #25 Michigan 5-3 in game one of double header (4/8/16)

Minnesota beats #25 Michigan 8-1 in game two of double header (4/8/16)

Maryland beats Ohio State 2-1 in 10 innings in game one of double header (4/8/16)

Maryland beats Ohio State 3-0 in game two of double header (4/8/16)

Maryland and Ohio State are tied 0-0 in the Top of the 1st (4/10/16)

Michigan State beats Penn State 7-0 (4/8/16)

Michigan State leads Penn State 5-2 in the Top of the 7th in game one of double header (4/10/16)

Indiana beats Purdue 10-9 (4/8/16)

Indiana beats Purdue 3-2 (4/9/16)

Illinois beats Iowa 10-4 in game one of double header (4/9/16)

Iowa beats Illinois 4-3 in 10 innings in game two of double header (4/9/16)

Silva's staffs put up 3.50 and 3.12 ERAs the last two seasons. Pitching has not been a chronic weakness before.

Do you know what our ERA was during our top 10 rankings?

I'll preface my numbers by saying I'm not going to argue that Silva is better than Childress, I don't necessarily believe that, and quality of opposition is a key factor as caveman pointed out, but I have some of the numbers in a spreadsheet because I get bored sometimes so I'll post them (ERA, K-to-BB ratio to keep it simple).

2005 was a statistical outlier so I didn't bother keeping their numbers, I remember the 2.68 ERA, this is the best pitching staff we've ever had and may ever have. A good mix of upperclassmen (Duensing, Kroenke) and new guys (Chamberlain, Dorn) that ate up innings for a good bullpen (Watson, Jensen, Bohanon et al).

2000: 3.14 ERA, nearly a 3-1 K-BB ratio (484 to 167), that was also a deep and talented staff.

2001: 4.41 ERA, an insane 503 strikeouts to 187 walks.

2002: 3.66 ERA, 478 strike outs to 185 walks.

One non-top 10 year of note: 1999's Big 12 tournament champions had a 5.55 ERA with 438 Ks to 191 BBs.

Silva's numbers from 2012 through 2015 total: 3.92 ERA with 1381 strike outs to 748 walks (345-187 per year average, about a 2-1 ratio, he preaches pitching to contact so I doubt the strike out totals will ever approach 450, much less 500, and that's OK.) Once again, the difference in conference opposition is worth noting, but I think the overall performance has been adequate :dunno