McMullen Taking Leave of Absence - Retiring from Football

I know at least as many guys who regret playing football as I do who regret hanging it up early. Many guys I played with won't let their kids play. The game is really hard on your body, especially when you play on the line.

McMullen gave four years to the program, no? I don't see how this is "quitting" when you have your degree and simply choose to start your life.

Sub point: if this is quitting, then every player who ever left early for the draft has quit on his teammates.

i don't view the guy as a quitter, just disappointed.

Sub point: if this is quitting, then every player who ever left early for the draft has quit on his teammates.

This.

If what Riley says is true then I am proud of McMullen.

I do wonder what that DL room was like last year and what was really happening there. Two go to the draft early, 2 leave, 1 coach fired. That isn't normal.

Wasn't there word floating around for a bit that said VV's main reason for leaving was he didn't want to play for Hughes?

VV was chasing money, he wasn't going to hang around after Collins decided to go to the draft......besides, w/o Collins on the field, VV would not be a force.

• Fire 1

I appreciate that he made the decision before spring practice to give the younger guys more reps with the 1s so that he doesn't leave us in as much of a lurch.

This just reinforces what the other early leavers on the DL told us: Big body doesn't necessarily mean string mind. Good riddance.

This.

If what Riley says is true then I am proud of McMullen.

I do wonder what that DL room was like last year and what was really happening there. Two go to the draft early, 2 leave, 1 coach fired. That isn't normal.

I have no issue with McMullen dropping football to pursue his career path. I wish him the best of luck and I am glad he chose to play for DONU for 4 years.

However, I can see the quitting POV from Foreman though in regards to the timing. He started Spring Ball with the seeming intent that he wanted to be a leader and do what is best for the team; heck, there were stories in which McMullen was quoted as telling Parrella that he would play whatever position Coach JP needed/wanted him to do. I am puzzled that he would start Spring Ball and seem to be all in and then just abruptly stop. Why not just call a career after the bowl game instead of staying with the team into Spring Ball, which indicates that you are all in with the team for 2016? From that POV I can understand the "quitter" comments, though I think they are a bit too harsh, as Spring Ball is about building for the upcoming season.

"Good riddance"

That must be the new husker way I've been hearing about.

Sorry. Players leaving their teams in a terrible spot because they are too mentally weak to face adversity is not worthy of much else. Truth hurts.

You're way out of your depth.

Recommend you do some research on what kind of person McMullen really is before casting those sorts of personal aspersions.

• Fire 1

"Good riddance"

Sorry. Players leaving their teams in a terrible spot because they are too mentally weak to face adversity is not worthy of much else. Truth hurts.
You're way out of your depth.

Recommend you do some research on what kind of person McMullen really is before casting those sorts of personal aspersions.

agree. In one of my classes that I share with him, he always tries to make an effort to speak up and ask/answer questions. He's definitely not lazy or afraid of work based off what I've seen of him in person.

"Good riddance"

Yeah he is so mentally weak... Student athlete is the key here. He came in, got his degree, is on to graduate school, and wants to give back to his community. Good for him!

"Good riddance"

Truth is, the young man wants to get started on his life after football and that truth doesn't hurt at all unless you are a pansy arse.

• Fire 2

Here is some truth from Theodore Roosevelt, who did as much or more than anyone in his day to promote physical fitness and sports in colleges and universities than most any other man (and saved college football from being banned) had to say about your train of thought:

"But the amateur athlete who thinks of nothing but athletics, and makes it the serious business of his life, becomes a bore, if nothing worse. A young man who has broken a running or jumping record, who has stroked a winning club crew, or played on his college nine or eleven, has a distinct claim to our respect; but if, when middle-aged, he has still done nothing more in the world, he forfeits even this claim which he originally had."

http://www.theodore-roosevelt.com/images/research/speeches/trprosports.pdf

What do you think Teddy would have to say about you and your post and Jay Foreman and his Twitter?